Start by marking “Small-Scale Grain Raising” as Want to Read:
Small-Scale Grain Raising

Small-Scale Grain Raising

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  230 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
This book tells you everything you need to know about growing and using all the major grains, as well as a few minor ones. The author writes "grains are not any more difficult to grouw, harvest, store and use than most vegetable. A suburbanite with a reasonably large lot can do it. It requires no special skills, no special tools." It tells about corn, wheat, oats, soybeans ...more
Published 1977 by Rodale Press

To ask other readers questions about Small-Scale Grain Raising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small-Scale Grain Raising

Emma Cooper
Jan 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
Vegetables, fruits and herbs are all common in kitchen gardens, but very few gardeners ever consider growing their own grains. The common perception is that you need a lot of space to make it worthwhile, and that processing grains is something that is difficult and time-consuming to do on a smaller scale.

‘Small-Scale Grain Raising’ aims to set the record straight, by laying out exactly how much land you need to raise a reasonable quantity of various grains, and the benefits of doing so. If you h
Anna
Jan 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed the book, although (as usual) I felt it glossed over some very important aspects of bringing grain growing to the backyard. Still, the book made me feel that growing grain was within my reach.

Check out the gems of information about growing grains as a backyard endeavor on my blog.
Wendy Wagner
Loads of handy information about growing, harvesting, and storing grain, and all of it presented in Logsdon's adorable old man voice. There are also some good recipes in here! I like books that are both entertaining and useful, and this one fits the bill.
John
Oct 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: prospective homesteaders
It's another Gene Logsdon farming book, and it's very good, though I can't quite recommend this one as heartily as All Flesh is Grass.

Logsdon does a good job taking us through the various grains, discussing everything one would need to know. We get information about planting, cultivation, harvesting, and storing, weeds to worry about, pests to worry about, and both modern and old-time methods for these grains. His slant tends to favor the small homesteader (hence the name) or even gardener: he d
Darcy
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous entertainment, I felt wonderfully validated for many of the practices I pursue, I was inspired to try some new crops, and I love how he calls us gardening farmers rather than hobbyists. After all, I am certainly not a commercial farmer, but I want to supplement my own and my animals' diet with homegrown goodness, and I wish I could turn even the tiniest bit of a profit with my all of the hard work I put into my gardens and goat herd.
Melissa
Feb 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
I wasn't able to finish this one before it was due back at the library, but what I did read was fantastic. Logsdon makes a potentially dry topic interesting and easy to understand, and he's completely banished any misconceptions I held about grain raising being too complicated for the home gardener. I can't wait to read more.
Alex
Some parts are not based on the author's experience; other parts are mostly based on his farming in northern Ohio. Nevertheless he gives very clear and detailed information on what he knows, which is quite broad in scope. And he is very outspoken against some concepts and practices based on "group thinking".
Sutherland
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
There was some really great info in here for small and medium scale small-grain and bean growing. It also has a great layout that makes it useful as a reference book. I didn't always agree with the flavor text but it made the book entertaining enough to read cover to cover. I'm going to try some rye this year.
Bre
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I save five-star reviews for life changing books. This book has changed my life. I feel like I am now armed with information that makes possible a new facet in farming and homesteading that I had not seriously considered before. Small scale grains? Homemade bread just became even more exciting than it had been previously!
Matthew
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: farming
I found this a great resource for someone wanting to raise grain on a small scale. I picked up this book for that very purpose. It covers many different grains from corn to rice and even some older grains that are not used much on large grain farms.
Jul 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Small scale, of course, means only a few acres in Logsdon's world, and the tools and techniques are aimed at small farmers rather than gardeners. But for the most part he includes planting/ harvesting options that are possible even if we just decide to try planting a single row.
Michael
Lot of information but definitely not for the "I'm just curious" reader (which is myself. This would be a good book for somebody who was about to start growing their own grains and needed all of the nitty gritty details. Because of that difference, I'm holding off on rating this book at all.
Justin
Aug 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book! I'm growing my first wheat crop this year. So far, so good, thanks to this book. For more detailed info, see your county extension website.
Michael De Paola
Looks like a 45' x 45' square can grow all the grain we need. This book was fantastic! I'm thrilled to have gotten a copy for Christmas!
Josie
Useful information for...someday.
Judith
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I've been studying more about period farming practices (early first millennium and early medieval periods), I have an appreciation for this book. While most of it was geared toward the small, modern farmer (and those garden farmers who can have small livestock), there were quite a few kernels of useful information that I gleaned from it. (I know, puns intended. ;p ) Even though I'm planning on sticking with my period grains experiment, I'm inclined to add an attempt or two with more modern ...more
Matt
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it! So helpful to the beginning grain farmer. I'd love to hear more about crop rotations, however.
Theresa
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starting with wheat and may venture into oats next year.
Christopher
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great advice and insights.
Megan
Apr 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very practical but also good for general info on good organic grain production
Salud Garcia
Jan 11, 2013
Jim Fraser
Dec 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • Eliot Coleman's Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production for the 21st Century
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Forest Gardening: Cultivating an Edible Landscape
  • Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
  • Five Acres and Independence: A Practical Guide to the Selection and Management of the Small Farm
  • Pastured Poultry Profits
  • The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An All-Natural Approach to Raising Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits  Vegetables
  • The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control: A Complete Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Garden and Yard the Earth-Friendly Way (Rodale Organic Gardening Books (Paperback))
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 2: Ecological Design and Practice for Temperate Climate Permaculture
  • The Self-Sufficient Gardener
  • Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting
  • The Earth-sheltered Solar Greenhouse Book: How to Build an Energy Free Year-round Greenhouse
  • The Apple Grower: A Guide for the Organic Orchardist