Start by marking “If Only You Knew How Much I Smell You: True Portraits of Dogs” as Want to Read:
If Only You Knew How Much I Smell You: True Portraits of Dogs

If Only You Knew How Much I Smell You: True Portraits of Dogs

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  278 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
This collection teams up dog portraits by Valerie Shaff and verse by humorist Roy Blount Jr., to give an original portrayal of what dogs really think.
Published May 15th 1998 by Bulfinch

To ask other readers questions about If Only You Knew How Much I Smell You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Only You Knew How Much I Smell You

Debbi
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I bought this book on a shopping trip with my Mom and my sister about 16 years ago and loved it then. Today I am cleaning all my books as I put them back on my library shelves and when I came to this one I sat down and read it again. Working hard eh? Only a 10 minute read but it makes you smile and also think just what are our dogs thinking. Each page has a photo of a dog, or two, either in some activity or else giving "a look". On the other page is what the dog is saying or would say if she cou ...more
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps one of the only dog lovers gift books worth getting--anything by these two is a gem!
Carol Kean
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those rare books that I love so much, I buy copies for my friends.

The **voice** is perfect. Spot-on!

I will write more another day; right now I'm in the midst of reviewing Dave Barry's "Lessons from Lucy," and he mentions Roy Blount in that book, which led me to realize I have never posted a review for this little treasure.

Back soon....
Terralyn Brown Barfield
I love this doggie poetry.......own it.........have reread it many times. Smiles.
Edwina Callan
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, bookcrossing
A dear friend gave me this book in celebration of my family adopting a beautiful basset hound from a high kill shelter in March of 2010.
Me and Barney The Basset snuggled up on the couch while I read this book and now I have nothing but bitter-sweet memories about this book
because Barney had a massive seizure and passed away on July 14, 2013.
Rest In Peace Sweet Boy.
Anne
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute little book with pictures of dogs accompanied by short poems. My favorite:

What does that mean, "expensive shoe"?
I ate it because it smelled like you.

And another that's kind of sad:

"Gone to college,"
Is what they said.
To my knowledge,
That means he's dead.

Kim
Jan 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
ok, my connection with this one is fairly obvious, but I so enjoyed the simple snapshot quality to these delightfully clean-lined portraits. Paging through this book gives me great pleasure and many smiles
Devin
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny
This book was fantastic! Cute, great photos of a variety of dogs just being themselves and hilarious and true poems accompanying them. This book is a totally accurate representation to how dogs are. Totally worth picking up!
Peacegal
Dec 31, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a book of dog-related poetry paired with soft-focus, sepia-toned photos of a variety of amusing dogs. It’s not especially memorable, but it would make a nice gift for the dog lover on your list.

Whitney
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really cute book with pictures of dogs and poems about what the dogs are thinking about. Funny and adorable.
Anjanette
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: photo-book
My kids and I enjoy looking at the pictures in this cute book. They are a little obsessed right now with dogs since we got a boxer.
Patty
Nov 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nf-dogs
Wonderful pictures of dogs and poems that go with them. Pretty good stuff.
Pattie
Jan 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dog lovers
Shelves: fun
More photos and poems for dog lovers. Very sweet and funny.
Lori
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
love!
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Cute little pup poems. Would absolutely not be worth reading if you don't have/love dogs.
Tammie
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable book with great images and cute poems to go along with each image.
Christyn
Full of dog poems with accompanying dog portraits. This is a charming book perfect for the dog lover in your life.
Spider
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This lovely book was a gift from Nancy way back in 1999, after we'd lost Max, J, & The Great Houndini in the same year. Sweet!
Svenja
Jan 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english
Cute coffee-table-top book
Amie
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love dogs, love Roy Bount Jr, love this book!
Ladiibbug
Dec 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Read in 2008 A picture book - insert five icons here!
Joseph Hoffman
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • 101 Salivations: For the Love of Dogs
  • Shelter Dogs
  • Dog is My Co-Pilot: Great Writers on the World's Oldest Friendship
  • Good Old Dog: Expert Advice for Keeping Your Aging Dog Happy, Healthy, and Comfortable
  • I Has a Hotdog: What Your Dog Is Really Thinking
  • Boo: The Life of the World's Cutest Dog
  • The New Work of Dogs: Tending to Life, Love, and Family
  • Old Dogs Are the Best Dogs
  • Howl: A Collection of the Best Contemporary Dog Wit
  • Underwater Dogs
  • Texts from Dog
  • Things Your Dog Doesn't Want You to Know: Eleven Courageous Canines Tell All
  • Sorry I Pooped in Your Shoe (and Other Heartwarming Letters from Doggie)
  • Bark If You Love Me