Start by marking “Radio Freefall” as Want to Read:
Radio Freefall

Radio Freefall

In the tradition of Robert A. Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress but with a healthy dose of cyberpunk: Radio Freefall is about a plot to take over the Earth bypower-mad, sociopathiccomputer-geek billionaire, Walter Cheeseman. It's up to a strange cast of rock stars and oddballs to stop him.

Aqualung, a mysterious blues musician who also has superhuman tech skills,
Published August 7th 2007 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Radio Freefall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Radio Freefall

Start your review of Radio Freefall
Kate (Looking Glass Reads)
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
3 out of 5 stars

I stumbled upon Radio Freefall by Matthew Jarpe at the library recently. It isn’t a new release, I hadn’t been familiar with the author, and I can’t recall ever hearing about the novel. So, naturally, I checked it out immediately, knowing nothing but what the flap copy said – this this was a cyberpunk story with rock and roll, AIs, and technology. And you know what? It was a lot of fun.

There is a lot going on in Radio Freefall. It is the story of an Earth coming together under
Man Ching
Jun 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
(hardback). The book crams a lot of ideas: AI, evolved computer virus, music, a Bill Gates/Google stand-in, and even a space station and Lunar colony. It generally works well, and since the ideas are interesting, it makes a good read.

The story follows 2 characters as they grapple with the onset of a unified Earth government headed by the Gates surrogate. We have a rock star as one protagonist, and a geek programmer who worked for the evil corporation before getting canned. Both of them have
Kris Sellgren
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This delightful SF novel's action ranges from Des Moines to space station Freefall. The CEO of a computer company (motto: "be evil") wants to take over the Earth (and the Moon). His embittered ex-employee wants his stolen invention back. The lead singer of a rock band is on the run from the mob. Add artificial intelligences and revolution, and the result is a fine first novel and a fun ride. Recommended for fans of nets 'n' drugs 'n' rock'n'roll.
Ken Richards
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
In Matthew Jarpe's debut, a megalomaniac software billionaire wants to take over the world. Arrayed against this dastardly plan are a disparate bunch of rock stars and genius hackers who just might be able to mount a resistance, if they could keep off the drugs long enough to plan coherently. But with the assistance of our hero Quin Taber's very illegal AI sidekick, and a sentient computer virus, they might just pull the irons out of the fire. A pretty decent first novel.
Elizabeth
Aug 29, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who really, really like science fiction
Shelves: gifts
The author is a former student of my advisor's, as can be told by a number of biological chemistry references in the story, such as the hit band Sex Lethal (a famous gene in sex determination in Drosophila) or the evil corporation LDL (low-density lipoprotein, colloquially known as "bad cholesterol").

Pleasant enough to read, if you like science fiction, but best not scrutinize the plot too carefully.
David
Dec 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
"Radio Freefall" was recommended to me by a friend who has read hundreds of books. I did not have a musical/band background, so much of that aspect of the book was new to me, but the futuristic picture painted by Jarpe was very realistic, as was his insight into geek culture. I enjoyed reading this book, and recommend it to any sci-fi or music fans.

Rob
Apr 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Mix geek culture with rock band culture with drug culture, and put it all in the near-ish future, and you have a good read. This book is oddly compelling, and I look forward to more from this author.

I love it when I find such an original work at the local library. I make it a point to try a new author each time I head over there. This book made me continue the practice.
Mochnant
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a very fun read, well written and interesting. It is very approachable and is even non-sci-fi fans will find a lot to love. It would also make a great movie. I challenge anyone to read it and not think of Jeff Bridges as Aqualung.
Brad Clarkston
Apr 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing

This turned out to be a great book. I'm not usually impressed with character based books (verses plot/world/galaxy builders) but this book's characters gripped me from the first page to the last.

I'd recommend it to anyone who's a fan of (semi)-cyber-punk and music in general.

- Brad
Lori
Dec 20, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-not-yet-read
xmas present from friend
Michael O'Donnell
Nov 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Easy to read. Not too bad for a first book. Aqualung was too good to be true. Plot was kind of predictable.
Kelley
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I admit, a lot of the jargon went right over my head, but this was an intriguing look at what the future could be like.
Adrian Dragon
Apr 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Maybe it's just me, but Radio Freefall felt like a fresh look at the future, well needed. Really enjoyable read, good fun. I am now afraid of the internet(irrational paranoia).
Maryanne
Radio Free Fall 11212007
Ok si-fi
Keely
Mar 28, 2009 rated it liked it
A fun read. Nice mix of music, sci fi, and politics.
John Stark
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, fiction, borrowed
Quick read. The story was engaging and through proving. Set in the not too distant future this novel explores the dynamics of technology, freedom, and the pursuit of happiness.
Paul Kreymborg

• Természetes intelligencia
  • The Blue Fox
  • A nyugati hadtest
  • Az arany virágcserép - A homokember - Scuderi kisasszony
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
  • Magas labda
  • The Electric State
  • The Penultimate Truth
  • The Redeemer (Harry Hole, #6)
  • Agent Running in the Field
I was born in St. Joseph, Michigan in 1966 but I grew up on a "farm" in Los Lunas, New Mexico. I use the scare quotes because we didn't actually raise much food, we just kept farm animals as pets. Well, we did eat the pigs and the chicken's eggs. I have a BS in Biology from the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, a well known party school in the Big Ten (where Big Ten refers to the ten ...more