Start by marking “The Princeton Companion to Mathematics” as Want to Read:
The Princeton Companion to Mathematics

The Princeton Companion to Mathematics

This is a one-of-a-kind reference for anyone with a serious interest in mathematics. Edited by Timothy Gowers, a recipient of the Fields Medal, it presents nearly two hundred entries, written especially for this book by some of the world's leading mathematicians, that introduce basic mathematical tools and vocabulary; trace the development of modern mathematics; explain es ...more
Published September 28th 2008 by Princeton University Press (first published October 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Princeton Companion to Mathematics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Princeton Companion to Mathematics

Start your review of The Princeton Companion to Mathematics
Jonas Andersson
Oct 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
So, I will probably never finish this; as i step through my college math classes it works as a handy reference. I can gleam an intuition on concepts that have me muddled. It covers what I would imagine to be everything we know about math. I can also use it to hammer nails and subdue burglars.
So Hakim
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math, textbook, atf
Just five words: "General Map of Mathematical World".

No, you're not supposed to read it from beginning to the end. No, you're not supposed to know it all by heart. But use it as reference, check which area you want to know, and you will be happy (-ier).

(ignoring that advice may lead to psychological hazard)
 SaЯRah Muhammad
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Princeton Companion to Mathematics is a friendly, informative reference book that attempts to explain what mathematics is about and what mathematicians do. Over 200 entries by a panel of experts span such topics as: the origins of modern mathematics; mathematical concepts; branches of mathematics; mathematicians that contributed to the present state of the discipline; theorems and problems; the influences of mathematics and some perspectives. Its presentations are selective, satisfying, and ...more
Nick Black
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
finally spent some serious quality time with this, reading it through aside from those sections (only about 1/4; not too bad, not too bad!) of which i could make neither heads nor tails, lacking too many years' preparatory material (primarily the geometry. analysis and algebra were both just wonderful, especially since they got the magnificent Terrence Tao to write most of the analysis). i think i actually finally learned some calculus of variations from this exercise -- hurrah (lord knows it's ...more
George Garkov
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Примами ме амоноидът на корицата. Макар и да се считам за далечен на материята, прочетените няколко глави се оказаха увлекателно и задълбочено написани, при все че примерите, използвани от авторите за илюстрация на концепциите, бяха преднамерено прости. Хареса ми акцентът във II част върху историята на модерната математика, оформянето на съвременната представа за математическо доказателство от древността и средновековието насам и т.н.

В книгата се подчертава ценността на различните подходи към ра
Jose Moa
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mathematics, science
This is really a big book mainly oriented to be a consulting sort of enciclopedic book,is as a USA mirror image of well known russian Mathematics,Its Contents Meaning and Significance by Aleksandrov and others,yet at a higher level.

The book vith a lot of contributors has 8 parts:Introduction(what is mathematics about ,the general goals of mathematical resarch),The Origins of Modern Mathematics,Mathematical Concepts,Branches of Mathematics(this to last are the bulk of the book),Theorems and Probl
Amanda
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves
Definitely haven't actually read the whole thing, but she lives next to my bed and I worship the ground she sits on, so I didn't want her wasting away forever on my currently reading shelf. Extremely well-rounded, readable, and with a focus on intuition over rigour, it does everything a companion to mathematics should and is also the best 3am insomnia reading to boot. Second only to my coffee maker on the list of my best investments as a math major.
Dimitrios Diamantaras
Nov 14, 2008 marked it as to-read
The editor is Timothy Gowers, not Imre Leader, who is listed as the second of two associate editors, the first of whom is June Barrow-Green. A recent purchase from Amazon, this is a beautiful book, to be read in bits here and there and savored for the exquisite beauty of the mathematics it surveys. I am one of those people who seek out mathematical texts to read for pleasure.
Ben
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mathematics
Amazing book. The most amazing, encyclopaedic overview of mathematics ever written. This is the book a mathematics lover wants to take with him to the desert (along with Mathematics: From the Birth of Numbers by Jan Gullberg, another take-me-with-you-when-you-get-to-a-deserted-island book).
Kim Thada
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read a tiny part of the book at a time. Every time reading it my excitement never stops running high. Speechless. Masterpiece. It gives a big picture of all famous modern math concepts so far.

It’d be great for those who would like to survey the whole math world before making a decision to settle with one Ph.D. dissertation topic. I should’ve found and learned from it myself before starting grad school.
Fatih Çağlar
Apr 04, 2020 is currently reading it
I am reading this book now. But although it aims readers from a wide scope,some parts of it are really dense and sometimes it can be difficult to understand but it is natural in mathematics though. I was thinking of read 20 pages everyday with a real comprehension when I started but it decreased to 10 after that and now it is 7-10 in a time about 2 hours.
laurentiu
Sep 22, 2019 added it
Shelves: brebu
Arthur Ryman
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous compilation of brief articles on a wide range of mathematical topics.
Linda
Jun 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a thorough and outstanding reference to the more complex ideas in mathematics. It also has a lengthy section on biographies of noteworthy mathematicians and the history of mathematics. Other sections include concepts, branches of mathematics, theorems and problems, influences,, and perspectives. Not one for the bookbag though, at 1034 pages. I do refer to it often, however!
Christina
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This hefty tome is an extremely comprehensive reference work. If you want to find out the general basics of a field of mathematics, chances are it's in here. The sheer breadth means it's not nearly as complete on depth, but that's not its purpose. I think it gives a good, overall picture of the state of mathematics today.
Nikita Skurat
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english
An incredible overview of what all the major branches of mathematics. It can serve as a reference book or just as an introduction into mathematics for the curious people. It gives historic references to the development of every branch of modern mathematics, there're some articles about the philosophical issues. Definitely a must have for undergraduate students in math.
Imran Qureshi
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
you can't actually finish this book like you can't finish a dictionary...but of the articles in this book, it gives a very good reference to any kind of math and shows you more. I wish there was more emphasis on applications and real world examples.
BB
Dec 11, 2012 added it
Shelves: non-fic, math
Both teaching and rational inquiry, at their creative and inspired best, thus lead us to the very threshold of ultimate mystery and induce in us a sense of profound humility and awe.

~~~ Theodore Meyer Greene
M
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
no, not cover to cover, but I dip into this near daily atm. a truly excellent book
Carol
Mar 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: math-and-science
This is a reference book to put on your shelf, as you would a dictionary. Don't try to read it through.
DJ
Nov 12, 2009 marked it as to-read
Shelves: priority
a buffet of maths
Amar Pai
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Good for a lifetime... open to any page, you find something interesting. Also the book cover feels lovely... what is it made of? Velvet-paper or something?
Jackson Barkstrom
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's supposed to be used as a reference, but it's actually pretty fun to read short sections. I think of it as the Ulysses of math.
Greg
Mar 04, 2009 added it
incomprehensible
Arun Kumar
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent companion/reference book to delve into pure mathematical concepts, theorems and many more in mathematics. I have not read this completely, but started refering to it frequently.
Matthew Geleta
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A shining jewel in the universe of mathematics. Every mathematician should look upon this stunning work with pride.
Nassim
Oct 11, 2016 added it
good
Laura Inzer
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: always-reading
A must have reference book !!!
Emma
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great collection of articles, some of which greatly differ in skill level from the average, which is why I only gave 4 stars.

• Concrete Mathematics: A Foundation for Computer Science
  • How to Solve It: A New Aspect of Mathematical Method
  • Men of Mathematics
  • The Math Book: From Pythagoras to the 57th Dimension, 250 Milestones in the History of Mathematics
  • Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid
  • Journey through Genius: The Great Theorems of Mathematics
  • Prime Obsession: Bernhard Riemann and the Greatest Unsolved Problem in Mathematics
  • What Is Mathematics?: An Elementary Approach to Ideas and Methods
  • The Man Who Loved Only Numbers: The Story of  Paul Erdős and the Search for Mathematical Truth
  • A Mathematician's Lament: How School Cheats Us Out of Our Most Fascinating and Imaginative Art Form
  • The Princeton Companion to Applied Mathematics
  • The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe
  • One, Two, Three...Infinity: Facts and Speculations of Science
  • Computer Organization & Design: The Hardware/Software Interface
  • Proofs from THE BOOK
  • The Man Who Knew Infinity: A Life of the Genius Ramanujan
  • Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: With Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Engineering
  • Linear Algebra Done Right

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »