Start by marking “Selected Poems, 1957-1981” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems, 1957-1981

Selected Poems, 1957-1981

Poems from every phase of the career of a great poet

This selection of Ted Hughes's poetry, made by the author himself in 1995, includes poems from every phase of his four-decade career. Here are poems from Hughes's first book, The Hawk in the Rain, and its successor, Lupercal, which introduced him as a major poet; from Wodwo, Crow and Gaudete, book-length poetic sequences in which the natural world is made

Published 1982 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, 1957-1981, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems, 1957-1981

Joseph
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This old dusty volume fell apart on me half way through. I've been carrying two and three page sections around as bookmarks lodged between the pages of my other readings. Not sure if I've committed a profanity or created an intimacy with these pages. In any case, she has lived a good life and will rest now. Perhaps one day I'll meet a book binder that bring her back together again.

Hughes is one of those rare white modern poets that make my reading voice feel inadequate. Carl Sandburg is another
Ben Thurley
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like a bit of Ted Hughes.

His range is remarkable: from brief and brutal studies of nature or roughspun quotidian mementos to song sequences and Trickster myths. So many of his poems re-enchant the elements and fabric of the world: the soil, the waters of pond, river and squalling sea, the beating air and all the fearsome or fearful creatures that make their way in these microcosms.

At their best, his poems are visceral and plangent, bristling with verbal and aural hooks to catch the mind on.
Joe Strawson
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
My first real foray into poetry. I'm happy to admit that I didn't understand a lot of what was being said. I did, however, find some of the parts I could understand very thought inducing. Ted Hughes clearly has the ability to look at everyday objects and scenarios in a completely different light to most people, unfortunately a lot of those things seem to be tractors and crows. He'd be a nightmare to go for a sunday walk in a field with.
Bernie Gourley
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of 150+ poems extracted from 15 works from Ted Hughes’ early career. Note: there is a second volume that picks up where this one leaves off and continues to 1994, as well as another volume entitled “New Selected Poems” that covers his entire poetic career from 1957 – 1994.

The selected poems are largely free verse. However, particularly among his early works there are many examples of rhymed and near-rhymed verse. As would be expected of a collection of selections
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I like the early and mid-period stuff the best; some of the later rural verse tends to leave me appreciative but not especially concerned.
Simon
Apr 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Covers the period up to 1981 so excludes perhaps his best known collections - River, Birthday Letters.
Zoe Voice
David
May 17, 2017
Cliff
Sep 16, 2017
Edward James Hughes was an English poet and children's writer, known as Ted Hughes. His most characteristic verse is without sentimentality, emphasizing the cunning and savagery of animal life in harsh, sometimes disjunctive lines.

The dialect of Hughes's native West Riding area of Yorkshire set the tone of his verse. At Pembroke College, Cambridge, he found folklore and anthropology of