Start by marking “Apples Every Day” as Want to Read:
Apples Every Day

Apples Every Day

At first, thirteen-year-old Sheila hates life at Kenner, a progressive co-educational boarding school. She finds she can take whatever classes she likes—and can cut them if she wants. But eventually Sheila is caught up in the school activities, and everything changes when she discovers her own special talents.
Published November 1st 1973 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Apples Every Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apples Every Day

Start your review of Apples Every Day
CLM
Jun 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to CLM by: SLM
Interesting to reread this boarding school story after many years - Kenner is a quirky progressive school in Canada, so the story of three new students provides an interesting contrast to all the Malory Towers and St. Clare's books I grew up with. However, I am still looking for a novel about Kiss Me Kate!

Kathy Moberg
I loved this book when I was about 11 or 12 years old and borrowed it two or three times from the public library. I recently got my hands on an old copy and read it out of curiosity. I have to say, it isn't especially well-written and the progressive boarding school (circa 1965) sounds dreadful to me now, but I can see why it appealed to me as a child. I don't know that it would have the same appeal to a 21st century tween, as it is very much a 1960's era book. Another reviewer called it a time ...more
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
This made its way to my to-read list because it's a boarding school book. I had to ILL it and am pleased some library still held on to this. It's from 1965, Canadian, and set in a progressive school. And wow was it ever weird. All the things you want in a story about a progressive boarding school-33 students in a dilapidated house with just a few teachers, and everyone does whatever they want-even if that's nothing at all. Now, I love a weird dated book, but I think that those things aside, this ...more
Liralen
Gosh. I've been looking for this one for years and finally found it through archive.org (which is my new favourite website). In Apples Every Day, a young girl is sent against her will to boarding school, but she soon finds that the school is nothing like what she expected: she can choose her own classes; students have a say in what material is taught in a given class; she's free to cut class and pursue her own interests and do or not do schoolwork as she chooses. It takes Sheila a while to figur ...more
Susan
Jan 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing

I remember being really enthralled by this story about a boarding school in Canada, lots of apple eating and friends and crushes and the stuff of middle school drama - so of course I loved it. I remembered the title a year ago and thought it might be fun to reread some of the books I loved - and see if they were actually any good or whether I just read dreck in my youth ... this book on AbeBooks was a bloody fortune - so now it is on my extensive list to hopefully locate someday at a used book s
Marthe
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
this was one of my favourite books as a young teenager, even after I spent a year in a similar boarding school (in England rather than Canada), and knew first-hand how living so closely together with other students AND teachers can bruise and illuminate. It never occured to me until this minute, when I saw that someone else had read the book,that the author might have written something else. Now on a treasure hunt...
Laurie
Jun 18, 2008 added it
Recommended to Laurie by: Constance
I recommend this if you particularly like books about: boarding schools, Canada, or kids putting on a play. Otherwise this story about a small, progressive '60s boarding school is nice but forgettable. (The title sounds like it would be one of those charming pioneer/farm books by someone like Miriam Mason, but it's not at all like that.)
Hsgray
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this book when I was young and it stuck with me for some reason. Gaby, Phil, the Play. I found it in a used bookstore and grabbed it. Now I work for a progressive school similar to Kenner.

If you are looking for other books about progressive schools I also recommend Totto-chan.
Jun 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Wendy by: Constance
An odd time capsule of a book, worth more for the period details than any literary qualities. My favorite part was the betrayal of the much-loved teacher, and I really wanted to read more of her expose, although I was very disappointed at the ultimate reason for that betrayal.
Elizabeth Lund
A fairly straightforward and realistic story about a girl at a progressive Canadian boarding school similar to Summerhill. Was glad to see a school like this portrayed in a sympathetic (though not totally utopian) manner.
Ashley
Apr 18, 2009 rated it liked it
read growing up
TheBookGroupie
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I must have read "Apples Every Day" four times when I was in elementary school and,every time, I felt like I was on a great escape away from home with good friends.
Maia
Aug 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Lovely old fashioned story with poignant intimate details. Recently found my old copy and re read it with zest.
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It has been quite a while since I last read it, so I don't know that I can give it a proper review. However, I read it repeatedly as a pre-teen and teen, and it is what got me started reading Shakespeare at a young age. I still have that bit of 'The Taming of the Shrew' memorized.
Ann Witherspoon
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book during middle school. I think the appeal was the idea of being at a boarding school.
Thomasin Propson
CAN you be unschooled at a boarding school? Turns out: yes! And you'll eat a lot of apples while you're at it (because thrifty!).

These four stars are genre-based--and this is a boarding school, turning teenager (not quite 'coming of age'), unschooled story with a Shakespeare play and other variety shows detailed and it's great in that way.
Lorraine
Jun 25, 2008
Jana23
Oct 22, 2017

• American Dirt
  • The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz
  • Recipe for a Perfect Wife
  • Big Summer
  • November 9
  • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • Without Merit
  • Maybe Someday (Maybe, #1)
  • The Age of Innocence
  • On the Bright Side: Stories about Friendship, Love, and Being True to Yourself
  • The Majesties
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • Confess
  • The Glittering Hour
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • On Ocean Boulevard
  • Red Letter Days
  • Doll-baby
Born in Geneva Switzerland, novelist and scriptwriter Grace Richardson was raised in Montreal, Canada. She was educated at McGill University, and at Oxford University, in England. She has lived in New York, and worked in publishing. In addition to her fiction, written for children and adults, Richardson has written TV drama scripts for Screen Gems (Montreal) and the Canadian Broadcasting Corporati ...more