Start by marking “The Deadly Messiah” as Want to Read:
The Deadly Messiah

The Deadly Messiah

Catastrophe time as communities fall victim to mysterious illness. Bensonhurst, Kentucky (pop. 1242) is hit first: 1039 dead within 24 hours. Just when the team of specialists identifies the cause--rampant infections due to the collapse of immunity systems--Bridgeton, Minnesota gets it too. The experts' panel enlarges and begins to disagree: are bacteria at work or is a ma ...more
Paperback
Published April 1977 by Avon (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Deadly Messiah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deadly Messiah

Start your review of The Deadly Messiah
Nick Spacek
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
the opening scenes are dope as hell, and the investigatory aspects are pretty legit, but the astrology and "look at my science knowledge!" aspects drag. also, the treatment of women and minorities are very 1970s white dude, and are highly patronizing. if not patently offensive. it's a quick read, but due more to skipping large swathes of technobabble and astrological explanation than actual intensity of plot.
Feliks
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: genre-sci-fi
A book which could have been better considering the authors responsible--no slouches at all. Albert Fay Hill & David Hill know how to craft a story but there was just something off-kilter in the root concept of this one.

Still, its a better book than the ugly sneer leveled at it by 'Kirkus Reviews' leads one to assume. The climax of the book--'stopping the killer from striking again' may be predictable only because its now such an over-familiar mechanism with which to finish any thriller. Convent
Natt Cham
เป็นการผสมผสานวิทยาศาสตร์โหราศาสตร์ และอาชญากรรมได้อย่างกลมกลืน

สนุกตื่นเต้น เดาเรื่องไม่ออก ตั้งแต่หน้าแรกไปจนหน้าสุดท้าย วางไม่ลงเลยทีเดียว

ไม่แปลกใจเลยที่ลีลาการแปลแบบนี้ถึงสร้างชื่อให้สุวิทย์ ขาวปลอด เริ่มจากเรื่องนี้มาจนบัดนี้กว่าสามสิบปี แล้วเรื่องก็ยังไม่ล้าสมัยไปเลย

แต่น่าแปลกใจที่เล่มนี้หลุดสายตาเราไปได้อย่างไรหลายสิบปี
Erik Graff
Sep 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sf suspence fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I must have borrowed this sf suspence novel as my notes from the period have a question mark where the authors' names should be noted. In any case, it wasn't very memorable. A.F. Hill seems to have an interest in diseases judging by his other, nonfiction publications.
Bracken
Jan 05, 2008 rated it did not like it
It started as an interesting medical thriller, but became a commentary on how astrology doesn't conflict with christianity or science. At 80 pages left, it was so predictable, that I didn't feel like I needed to finish.
Tara
Mar 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
My Grandfather and uncle wrote this book in the 70s and I've been seeing it on their shelves for years. I finally decided it was time I read it. It's a great thriller, and I think the idea is still pretty fresh, even 37 years later!
Anna
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I first read this in 7th grade (1983) and was utterly fascinated. Yes, the first few chapters are grisly and that probably caught my attention. I re-read it a few years ago and thought it was still decent, if dated.
John
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thiller
A good thriller however I do not know if I buy all the astology
Patrick Nichol
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent thriller that is slightly dated and a little too bogged down in Astrology.
But the vivid portrayals of people dying of ordinary diseases rivals any Zombie Apocalypse flick today.
Eduard Hafermann
Aug 22, 2019
Brad
Jul 30, 2012
Kayla
rated it did not like it
Nov 22, 2013
rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2014

• Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life
  • Wild at Heart Revised and Updated: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul
  • The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1)
  • The Rules of Attraction
  • Kiln People
  • Decision Points
  • The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph
  • The River (Brian's Saga, #2)
  • Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Fudge, #1)
  • Candide
  • Gulliver's Travels
  • Liar's Poker
  • Richard III
  • Much Ado About Nothing
  • Invisible Man
  • The Natural
  • Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World
  • Slaughterhouse Five/ The Sirens Of Titan/ Player Piano/ Cat's Cradle/ Breakfast Of Champions/ Mother Night