Start by marking “Bone Dry: A Blanco County, Texas, Novel (Game Warden John Marlin, 2)” as Want to Read:
Bone Dry: A Blanco County, Texas, Novel (Game Warden John Marlin, 2)

Bone Dry: A Blanco County, Texas, Novel (A Blanco County Mystery #2)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  845 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
Life can get a little wild from time to time for John Marlin, the game warden in Blanco County, Texas. For instance, Marlin didn't even bat an eyelash when a local resident's amorous encounter with a white-tailed deer came to light last year-on videotape. Aside from that, however, few incidents compare to the stories flying around town at the start of this new deer season.
Published September 10th 2003 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Bone Dry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone Dry

Ty
Oct 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another in the humorous series of books by Ben Rehder set in the Texas Hill Country. if you like Carl Hiassen, you will like these books. basically, a number of oddball characters interact and some end up dead. the very appealing lead character, who is a county game warden, figures it all out and nails the bad guys in the end. it's laugh out loud funny in places and moves quickly, so it's a pretty easy read. enjoy!
Katy
Jul 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this author! He writes about the cases of the Blanco County, TX, sheriff, and the way he solves his cases. Definitely not Andy of Mayberry, (maybe a little of Barney though, but a cast of characters that rival Mayberry. I love his humor, and, I think I've actually met a few of the characters in this book.

For a riot of a plot, and a ton of belly-laughs, this writer is great.
Mary Mathews
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great author, great series. I laughed out loud at least once while reading. Rehder weaves a good mystery with lots of local color.
Lynn
Dec 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a classic, but a darn good book to read in between all the "serious" books we so like to read!

I thought it was extremely funny. Reminded me about the movie "Fargo". I know some readers out there may not have liked "Fargo" (probably thought it was too violent.) But for some reason, I thought "Fargo" was hilarious.

"Bone Dry" struck me in the same vein. Just imagine a New Jersey mob-type character, with his son cut in the same mold, trying to make a living in a backwater Texas town. I couldn't
Glenn
Sep 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like books by Carl Hiaasen, Tim Dorsey or Bill Fitzhugh
Shelves: humorous-novels
Mix a mob guy who's in the witness protection program, a couple of local rednecks, some environmentalists and some local good ole boys in Texas law enforcement and what do you get? A pretty funny story with comic capers and hijinks.
Katy
May 11, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More by my newly discovered Austin author; this one involves the business of clearing cedars in the drought stricken area of Central Tx that houses our property. So once again, interesting to me, and fun to read, but maybe not for those who don't live here.
Roberta Marro
Apr 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sound recording. A very funny book and true to the Texas mindset. I'd never heard of Mr. Rehder, but I liked his writing style. I seem to remember reading another in the series, but couldn't find the title.
Lori
Sep 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the second book in the series and I have the third on my TBR pile. Enjoyed it, mystery with laughs.
Anthony Whitt
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ben Rehder spins an interesting and light hearted tale of murder and crime in the Texas Hill Country. You'll meet a wide variety of characters in a story that moves at a rapid clip.
Jess Rosler
Jan 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-books
Weird book, but I actually enjoyed it!!
Christa
rednecks-mystery-game wardens-what's not to like?
Donna
Entertaining read. Interesting mix of characters and a good description of small town life in Texas. Good mystery with enough twists and turns to keep you guessing.
Megan
Oct 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Especially with hunting season startin'.
Sue
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2nd book in the series. Very fun.
M.T. Bass
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mysteries
A gritty-as-a-west-Texas-prairie murder mystery, this Ben Rehder tale is more spicy gumbo than cowboy chili, stirring a Nordic blonde eco-warrior unafraid to use her feminine wiles, a big city mafioso in witness protection trying to muscle in on a home-grown business, and a girth-challenged U.S. Marshal in love with the mobster's Hispanic housekeeper into the pot with local Blanco County LEOS and locos. I didn't read the first in the series, but that's okay. Bone Dry was a quick, entertaining re ...more
Dan
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't mess with the mafia

Fun read. Hard to keep straight who killed whom, why and when. Well worthy reading and reading another too. Ben Render does a good job with colorful characters and just as colorful plots. We get to know and like the characters.
The only negative thing I would mention has to do with the format of the book I read. There was no spacing when the characters were switched. I'd be read about one person, then get confused until I realized I was reading about a different characte
Lisa Adkins
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roller cistern ride

This book has so much excitement in time I couldn't put it down till I finished. You'll never believe this lazy Texas town takes off like firecrackers.
Lisa
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series!

His characters come to life, and the plots are both complex and funny. It's far too rare to find a writer who can actually make one laugh out loud.
Fred Kingery
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

Sal Manelli, or salmonella nice touch. I thoroughly enjoyed this book!
The BLANCO COUNTY series are all really good reads!!
Ensiform
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
The second Blanco Country mystery. Game warden John Marlin is again drawn reluctantly into a homicide investigation. It starts quirkily enough and in his wheelhouse: a drought has made two prominent local men, Emmett Slayton, crusty old rancher (with loveable bumbling would-be crook hillbillies Billy Don and Red from the previous book working for him), and Sal Mameli, an ex-mafioso in the witness protection program, compete for the suddenly in-demand cedar brush-cutting business; Mameli and his ...more
Steven
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story!! This murder yarn follows game warden John Marlin through his central Texas beat and the myriad of colorful individuals he meets. Sure there are rednecks but also stoners, business men, deer hunters, poachers, supermodel environmentalists, mafia hit men, and Guatemalan house keepers. Who knew that the central hills of Texas could be so colorful?

At the core of the story is the murder of local deer hunter. This events triggers a sequence of murders that has the local constabulary'
Lee Miller
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has become one of my favorite light mystery series. It has everything: action, murder, colorful characters, romance, laugh out loud humor, and a great hero in Texas Hill Country game warden John Marlin. The first one in the series was nominated for an Edgar Award and received starred reviews in “Publishers Weekly” and “Library Journal.” In this, the second, a deer hunter is found murdered in his blind, a rancher disappears, a US Marshall is kidnapped, New York mafia figures try to adapt to ...more
Beth
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Loved this book! A good mystery that keeps you on your toes. I was able to solve some of the mysteries, but not all of them - just like a good mystery. The book moves at a good pace.

One word of warning for those reading on a Kindle - it's not easy to differentiate between sections. One minute you're reading about characters A and B. You move onto a new paragraph with character C and as you finish the paragraph you realize you're actually in a new scene altogether. The hardcopy version may be dif
Ashley
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this series gets a little better with each book. Once again, the stories is told by jumping back and forth to different points of view. You have a ton of loose ends by the middle of the book, and yet by the end everything is tied up in a neat little package, and you find yourself thinking, "I never saw that coming". I love the conversations between Red and Billy Don, and how they always end up smack dab in the middle of whatever is going on. Another pretty good book.
Al Warner
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Tree-huggin' Good Time

Like Buck Fever, the different story lines all threatened to spin out of control until chaos erupted. In the end there's winners and losers. You'll have to read the book to find out who ends up in which category. It's a great story with that beautiful Texas twist. If you can't point out Pflugerville or Fredericksburg on the map, you might not know what I mean, but you'll still like the book.
Ned
Apr 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Stuart Woods novels for a couple of decades, calling his stories my 'guilty pleasures'. A few years ago, I decided his is a hack and his books are no longer worth reading.

This author, I think, is now my new 'guilty pleasure'. He is hilarious, with subjects that are not usually hilarious, and I just like his writing.

Like any guilty pleasure, I want more!!!
Tasula
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in small town in Texas, where a game warden is roped into helping the sheriff solve a murder. Characters include a statuesque environmental activist, an organized crime thug in witness protection, two practically brain dead laborers, a housekeeper without green card, and a city cop who thinks he's smarter than the hick cops. It was enjoyable and I will probably read more from this author.
Joyce
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Tis was another entertaining read. John marlin, the Game Warden, works with the Sheriff to solve a series of murders. Blanco County is rural Texas at its most colorful. The characters include a New York Mafioso and family who are in the witness protection program, tree huggers, local country characters and the like. It is well written and a fun read.
Nancy
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series! The characters are great and the plots are interesting. The author's love of the hill country in central Texas shines through in his treatment of the characters. Their grammar is terrible, they drive nasty old pick-up trucks and they poach deer, but they are funny and likeable.
Linda
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The quirky characters from Texas really make this book worth reading. Johm Marlin, Game Warden, comes across as one of the only normal guys in Blanco County. And everyone "from awsy" definitely has a screw loose. This is the second book in the series and I enjoyed it enough to back up and visit the first entitled Buck Fever. And I don't even like hunting!
Bone Dry—any questions? 3 10 May 20, 2014 02:15PM
  • Silenced by the Yams (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #3)
  • Do not Disturb (Pennyfoot Hotel #2)
  • Buyer's Remorse (Mitzy Neuhaus Mystery #3)
  • Designed to Kill (Greg McKenzie Mysteries, Book 2)
  • Dance of the Winnebagos (Jackrabbit Junction, #1)
  • Bird Brained (Rachel Porter, #3)
  • Heartshot (Bill Gastner Mystery, #1)
  • Caribbean Moon (Manny Williams, #1)
  • Chili Con Corpses (A Supper Club Mystery, #3)
  • The Cart Before the Corpse
  • Bad Publicity (An Isobel Spice Novel, #2)
  • Big Leagues (A Cat McDaniel Mystery, #1)
  • Buying Murder  (Regan McHenry Real Estate Mysteries, #3)
  • Sweet Delicious Madness and the Many Mysterious Deaths of Silvio Berlusconi (Kissed in Italy Mystery, #1)
  • Storm Surge (A Jonie Waters Mystery, #1)
  • The Butterfly Legacy
  • Progressive Dinner Deadly (Myrtle Clover Cozy Mysteries #2)
  • Beneath a Buried House (Detective Elliot Mystery #2)
Ben Rehder wanted to become a writer ever since he was dropped on his head as a toddler. As he grew into a young adult and the vertigo gradually dissipated, his passion for literature grew. Ben longed to craft the type of soul-stirring prose that would touch people’s lives and help them explore new emotional horizons. But he went to work at an ad agency instead.

Throughout his rewarding and fruitfu
More about Ben Rehder...

A Blanco County Mystery (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Buck Fever (A Blanco County Mystery #1)
  • Flat Crazy (A Blanco County Mystery #3)
  • Guilt Trip (A Blanco County Mystery #4)
  • Gun Shy (A Blanco County Mystery #5)
  • Holy Moly (A Blanco County Mystery #6)
  • Mind Game (A Blanco County Mystery, #6.5)
  • Hog Heaven (A Blanco County Mystery, #7)
  • Stag Party (A Blanco County Mystery, #8)
  • Bum Steer (Blanco County Mysteries Book 9)
  • Point Taken (Blanco County Mysteries Book 10)
“purple birthmark” 1 likes