Start by marking “Heart of Glass (Cross My Heart, #2)” as Want to Read:
Heart of Glass (Cross My Heart, #2)

Heart of Glass (Cross My Heart #2)

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  295 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
In a society of liars, who do you trust?

It is 1585 in Venice, and three months have passed since Laura della Scala solved her sister's murder after joining the Segreta, a powerful society of women who trade protection for secrets. Now Laura is engaged to her true love, Roberto, and she has never been happier. But the night Laura is sent on her first important mission for t
Published March 12th 2013 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
There are, to my mind, two basic kinds of historical fiction: those that endeavor to be historically accurate and those that really don't, merely using the lavish historical backdrop to entertain. Personally, I like both kinds. The only time the latter's not good is when it has pretensions to being history as well as historical fiction, and teaches readers a bunch of incorrect information. Heart of Glass falls into the latter camp, and, from what I can tell, the political maneuverings of the nov ...more
Tammie
While I liked this sequel to Cross My Heart ok, it was very predictable. It was obvious to me who the traitor to the Segreta was and what people were behind other things too. I also thought it unbelievable that Laura would be blamed and hated by people for things someone else was accused of. I found it hard to believe that the people would have turned on Roberto the way they did and side with a Turk, considering the hate that a lot of people in the city harbored for him and his people, and (view ...more
Lovey Dovey Books
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, ya-mystery
In her debut novel, Cross My Heart, Sasha Gould painted 16th century Venice through the eyes of young heroine Laura della Scala. Though a beautiful city, the nights of Venice hold a society of women known as the Segreta whose collection of secrets gives them power beyond measure. This highly anticipated sequel, Heart of Glass, delves deeper into the darker side of Venetian society, shockingly revealing conspiracies and treachery. In a city that wears deceit as a second skin, Laura must learn who ...more
Natalie
A solid, if slightly predictable, historical fiction novel. Gould does a fine job of capturing the atmosphere of Renaissance Venice and keeping the plot moving at a fast pace. I enjoyed it, but probably won't remember much about it in a few months.
Kelsey
Dec 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable, with some twists and turns I didn't expect, and some that I did. :) I got a little annoyed with the "oh, my love!" lines, but overall a great second book.
Mara
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cover Blurb: Yes or No? I love, love, love the pretty black-and-gold fan, but there's a huge leering character impersonator staring at me!! Ahhh!!!! I preferred it when she wore a mask.

Characters: Laura continues to be a wonderfully unannoying protagonist. She's capable and takes action when no one else will - all without having The Attitude. Heck, when she's taken captive at one point, she blows up an entire ship! How awesome is that? She doesn't sit back and let stuff happen all around her. Wh
Amy Lignor
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For everyone who read the incredible story, Cross My Heart, this is the sequel that, if possible, is even better than the first.

Here we begin with Roberto - the Doge’s son - honing his battle skills with the love of his life, Laura della Scala. Laura is the young lady who solved the murder of her sister three months ago by joining up with the secret society of ‘masked’ females who call themselves the Segreta. These are women who help one and all, by trading their massive skills and huge network
Holly
So much better than the first! And I liked the first.

Heart of Glass features a much more kickbutt heroine than we saw in Cross My Heart. No more frightened, unsure Laura, but a woman who is rocking the Segreta and making Venice a better place. When fellow Segreta members vote not to act on certain matters, Laura takes it into her own hand and does what needs to be done. When dearest Roberto gets framed for murder, Laura has to act alone to put evidence together to prove him innocent, ignoring th
Lauren - SERIESous Books
This book was by far better than Cross my Heart. When I read Cross my Heart I felt like something was lacking in the story--I liked it an everything, but it was just missing that umph that would make it a 5 star book. This book, Heart of Glass had it all.

Overall, I'd say this book took the first one up a level. I really like the character we have in Laura now. She has really grown from the naïve convent girl in book 1 and has become a strong, intelligent and independent woman. More-so in this bo
Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall
Here we are in Venizia again...
Thank goodness, Laura actually is not as genre-blind as I first imagined(so you, reader, are saved from believing that - although she does, really, tell Halim she is not seeing anyone and you know how that turns out - ), and shows herself to be tough as nails.
In that regard, though, I have a qualm(not only for her killing people without much remorse, also the realistic aspect of that). Is it possible that a young woman, newly out of a conservative convent, would d
Finnessa
Wendy Moulton
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What would you do if your fiance was accused of murder? Heart of Glass is the Vinetian sequal to Cross My Heart http://tinyurl.com/ljq5pr5 and continues the story of aristocratic Laura and her involvement in secrets and conspiracies of the Segreta. "It is 1585 in Venice, and three months have passed since Laura della Scala solved her sister's murder after joining the Segreta, a powerful society of women who trade protection for secrets."

Laura is a powerful character who has to decide to fight fo
Brianna
First I will mention that Heart of Glass gets your attention much faster than Cross my Heart. Reading Cross my Heart I almost lost interest before it picked up the pace. In Heart of Glass Laura is fighting not only to prevent war with the Turks and to find traitors, but to save Roberto's life. Roberto has been false accused of murder and faces execution. Heart of Glass is well written, detailed, and has some history mixed in. This book is very serious though, and as wonderful as I found it, I do ...more
Journey
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
so good!! the women in this series are so wonderful -- compassionate and kind (Laura, Emilia) but also smart and dangerous (also Laura, the Segreta). in this book we really get to see the Segreta in action, including a scene where they humiliate and threaten a wife-beating soldier. excellent. these are women who go to any lengths for the truth and justice and protecting their society... including being willing to die for it. and Laura BLOWS UP A SHIP YEAH!

I was kinda wary of (view spoiler)
star_fire13
Even though I was able to guess at everything and see all the plot points coming a million miles away, this was still a fairly enjoyable read.

I don't really like the idea of Laura being married to Roberto, but meh. At least now her father won't be all creepy, trying to get her to marry ridiculously old dudes, simply because they're wealthy. I like the idea of Carina being a long-term villain. I can't believe Laura forgave Paulina! Ugh, that's totally going to come back to bite her. I know it!
Lucia
Rounding up what should be 3.5.

I suppose the first book was much better, more actions and intrigues, less romance (or drama). I don't know what made the author lose her original touch of suspense and mystery and all those thrill that came out in the first book, but I still enjoy the historical settings throughout the story.
Overall, I would give an 'okay' as a rating, since the story somehow turn to one of the 'love drama' I often stumble in other YA novels.
Brenda
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book, e-books
This author delivered a great adventure again. There were less surprises in this book compared to "Cross my heart" because the author used the same writing style. As a reader of this author I was able to figure out a few of the cliff-hangers before their conclusions were revealed. The characters in this book were well developed. The plot was believable. The book is worth the time it takes to read it.
Jenni
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elena-Loredana
2.5/5
This book had such a great potential. It was like the tip of the iceberg of a great story. For a short book, it took a tremendous amount of time to finish it. Surprisingly, I kind of want more of this world. In my opinion, the book lacked fluidity between the great well written scenes. It felt less like a story and more like a collage.
Maree
Jul 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars
I enjoyed this one a little more than the first one—it had an interesting plot that kept you guessing. Again, the descriptions slowed down the story a bit. It also had several gaps where it jumped from one place to another without any kind of transition or break, and it was a little confusing for a minute each time it did that, but overall I liked it.
Cynia
Feb 02, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Even more tiring than the first book, so many kidnappings. Dragged on, no real story of interest. And it leaves you thinking that Carina will return to hurt Laura again. Did not like Niccolo dying what a waste.
Celeste
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this character and the depiction of Venice. This is the second book in the series and I have enjoyed both books. Good adventure, mystery and romance. It's also clean enough to recommend to young adults.
Jessica
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. It was a worthy sequel. I do feel like she is too easily swayed from her beliefs and confidences sometimes but her impetuousness was an interesting read. I enjoyed that she became more confident and world-wise towards the end of the book. Very good read.
Karstyn Stark
Actual rating: 3.5. I found this book much more interesting than the first, and the quick and twisting plot made it a very quick read. It lacked in some areas, but was an improvement from the first book.
Sabrina
How come I didn't know THIS existed!? O______O

Agnes
loved the book , more twists and suspense , again not everyone survives..
Amy
Oct 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some people are so incredibly useless. Heaven forbid we actually think something through, question it, and seek to learn more.
Kathy  D.
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2013
As good as the first book. Looking forward to more of the story.
Rainie
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part two was a bit better than the first. Nice continuation of the story.
Melissa
Not nearly as good as the last book. I was quite disappointed. Much too predictable.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Starstruck (Starstruck, #1)
  • Belladonna (Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #2)
  • Tarnish
  • Victoria Rebels
  • A Spark Unseen (The Dark Unwinding, #2)
  • The Disgrace of Kitty Grey
  • The Caged Graves
  • The Elementals (The Vespertine, #3)
  • Beautiful Decay
  • Pan's Revenge (Adventures in Neverland #2)
  • Dusk (Dusk, #1)
  • The Evelyn Project
  • Rebel Spirits
  • Kissing Shakespeare
  • Delusion
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • Maid of Secrets (Maids of Honor, #1)
  • Cinders & Sapphires (At Somerton, #1)
Sasha Gould lived in Venice until she was nine years old. She later studied fashion in London. Her favorite things are opera, ballet, and romantic movies. She now lives in the Lake District of England with her cat, Tosca, and writes about Venice, the beautiful and mysterious city she knows and loves.
More about Sasha Gould...

Cross My Heart (2 books)
  • Cross My Heart (Cross My Heart, #1)