Start by marking “Gently With The Painters” as Want to Read:
Gently With The Painters

Gently With The Painters

(Chief Superintendent Gently #7)

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  141 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
The death of a young artist leaves Gently desperately piecing together the portrait of a murderer.

When artist Shirley Johnson is murdered and her body dumped outside a provincial police headquarters, Gently is despatched from London to Northshire to take over the investigation. The prime suspect appears to be the woman's husband, a former bomber pilot with a guilty secret,
Published January 2nd 1996 by Chivers North America (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Gently With The Painters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gently With The Painters

Bev
In Gently With the Painters (1960) George Gently has recently been promoted to Superintendent, C.I.D. and he is disappointed to find out how little fieldwork a superintendent gets to do. His days are now mostly filled with shuffling paperwork from Inbox to Outbox. When an interesting case of murder amongst the painting crowd pops up in his native Northshire, he begins avidly following the news and trying to come up with a good reason to contact the local inspector in charge.

The victim is a youn
David Highton
Not my favourite Gently book, a weaker plot than some of the earlier books, and the cast of characters from 1958 made this one seem particularly dated
Mumbler
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: east-anglia
God, I love these books. The sense of place is great.

Here's what was special about this one: through the course of the series, and especially the last few books, there's been a definite profile of the characters who turn out to be the killer. Maybe later I'll specify it, in a spoiler tag. Before reading this book, the thing on mind was, will we get that same killer, essentially, again? Because it's getting too fixed and repetitive.

Early in Gently With The Painters, we meet a character who fits
Helen
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have watched some of the George Gently on tv but hadn't read any of the books until this one which is quite late in the detective's career as he's just been promoted Superintendent and is working out of London.
I would have thought that a thoroughgoing detective would realise that the Superintendent rank is an administrative one, a sort of dispatcher of personnel and supervising of same. Gently seems to have missed that and frets behind the desk helping to set up a raid that will clear up a set
Mirhanda
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice Detective Work

Once again our George Gently saves the day with his intuition and intelligence, outshining all of his underlings and coworkers.
Franziska Self fisken
Clever and satisfying plot, but the characters though varied, didn't really live in my imagination.
Pauline Ross
This is the seventh of the series about the genial pipe-smoking George Gently, now promoted to Superintendent, and chafing rather at his desk-bound life. The author is getting into his stride now, and many of the rather dated quirks which enlivened the earlier books have been dropped - no more peppermint creams, for instance, and the investigation is much more conventional - Gently visits various suspects, asks them questions and mulls over the answers. He even philosophises over his approach, d ...more
Alan Hughes
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, fiction, own
This is one of the George Gently detective series and is rather plodding and dull. The characters are too stereotyped to be truely real and, as a consequence, it is difficult to take them seriously.

A further problem is that the novel is now too dated. Some of the references no longer click and it is difficult to feel the menace of a criminal who is referred to as "chummie".

Product Description

Rich
Oct 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well I once again found myself returning to George Gently, and I am slightly disappointed.

Although overall entertaining I couldn't help but find myself bored and frustrated at parts with pointless descriptions and a monologue lasting an entire page. It's a shame that this has been done, or was it perhaps the era they were written? Hard to say, but I feel a little part of this story could have been cut. I found myself dozing at one point, Around the middle of the book, and only began to find exc
Lucy Barnhouse
Jul 15, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I do like Inspector Gently, but this book was a disappointment. Both plot and characterization are thin, and the gift for atmosphere I enjoyed in earlier volumes of the series was not on display. More jarringly, the entire plot was remarkably misogynistic. The murder victim, an intelligent painter, is spoken of in scandalized tones by the men who knew her as a repressed/closeted lesbian. How do they think they know? It's unclear, and this repeated assertion, of unclear relevance to the plot, fel ...more
Wilde Sky
A woman (part of a group of artists) is murdered very close to a police station and her husband instantly becomes the main suspect. Gently (newly promoted to Superintendent) becomes involved in the case and starts to cast doubts on the assumptions made.

The characters were believable and the story line and writing were good. Unfortunately the final announcement of the killer didn’t ring true – but still an entertaining way to spend a few hours.
Caroline
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
The first time for ages I haven't finished a book - by half way through I didn't even care enough to find out the solution. Gently has lost all of his individual mannerisms and spends a lot of time listening to a very boring and self absorbed painter with apparent admiration and approbation. I found the writing slightly turgid and the characterisations lacking in depth and continuity.
Nancy
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british, mystery
I finished this a couple of days ago and I seem to have nearly forgotten it already. I'm afraid I was influenced by the awful cover. I have really enjoyed the other Gently books that I've read, but this one was not up to snuff.
Gloria
Jun 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
I enjoyed this. It is dated in a way, but that, for me, adds to it's charm. I cannot read a George Gently book without picturing Martin Shaw as Gently and that also adds to the pleasure :-)
I look forward to reading the next one in due course.
Jenine
Oct 04, 2010 rated it did not like it
Entirely forgettable. Sexist and period in a particular English way. I sort of enjoyed it.
Alayne
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read, but I felt the author cheated with the murderer, having hardly mentioned him and certainly not as a possible suspect through the book.
Jack
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it
George Gently, newly promoted to Superintendent, solves another mystery in Eastern England
Robin_R
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it
My response to this mystery... Meh.
Carolyn Hammond
Aug 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I like the Gently series, but this is not one of my favorites.
Jennifer hollands
Sep 26, 2014
Alan J
Nov 28, 2016
Barbara Luiselli
rated it did not like it
Sep 01, 2017
Jan 28, 2016
Paul E. Morph
Jul 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Alan Hunter was born at Hoveton, Norfolk and went to school across the River Bure in Wroxham. He left school at 14 and worked on his father's farm near Norwich. He enjoyed dinghy sailing on the Norfolk Broads, wrote natural history notes for the local newspaper, and wrote poetry, some of which was published while he was in the Royal Air Force during the Second World War.

He married, in 1944, Adelai

Chief Superintendent Gently (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • Gently Does It