Start by marking “Breed To Come” as Want to Read:
Breed To Come

Breed To Come

When desperate measures failed to control what men had begun and could not stop, they fled their polluted planet, leaving behind an epidemic virus born of experimentation. Yet unlike men, whom the disease could destroy, the animals of the planet thrived. Each generation was more forceful and intelligent than the last.

In the ruins of what was once a university c
Published June 1st 1981 by Ace (first published June 6th 1972)

Start your review of Breed To Come
Shazza Maddog
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I loved this book. It's a story about The People, who are genetically engineered cats, though they don't really remember this. The People are fighters, survivors, but their lives, and the lives of all the others on their world might be threatened by the return of the demons (human beings, who engineered the animals, then left the planet).

I cannot say how many times I re-read this book when I was in middle and high school. I'd recommend it to any cat lover, or fan of YA science fiction. I'd
S.A. Gibson
I enjoyed this story immensely this week. Although Andre Norton is one of the authors that got me into science fiction, I don't remember this one from my childhood. This story is one that puts her in the top level of the great writers of the genre.

Breed to Come does what science fiction rightly is known for. The what if of the story combines with human interest to lead you to suspend disbelief and go with the wild ideas until you get to the end.

I was riveted by the story of Furtig a
Valerie
The 'Demons' who come again are perfectly normal humans, with a serious problem that's never resolved (they came back to Earth after generations on their refuge planet because the refuge planet was also (inexplicably) becoming uninhabitable. If they leave, where can they go?) There's some hint toward the end that there _might_ be a solution from the archives--but it's far from a certainty.

Earth is presented as a planet that has become untenable for humans. If it doesn't kill them, it
Doris
This book was the first Sci-Fi book I ever read, and it hooked me on the genre.

This book starts with a being searching for game, and finding evidence of an invader. He makes his way back to the caves of his clan, where he reports on the trouble.

Unfortunately, this also happens to be the time of the mating ritual - the Choosing - where the females choose mates from the visitors from other clans. Our intrepid hero, a cat who walks like the Demons (humans) who long ago fled Earth for the stars, c
Ash
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book. I read it for the first time when I was in 5th grade (I think, I know it was before 6th). After switching to a new school building I couldn't find it anymore, though only remembering the front cover image, and the basic storyline, along with the quote at the beginning of the book didn't help. After about 9 years (with details fading and reemerging during this time) of idle searching for the book using various keywords in Google, I finally found it again. I instantly purchased i ...more
Mary
I read this book as a 10 or 11 year old and loved it. I would still recommend it for young sci fi lovers. When I reread it years later for nostalgia's sake, it wasn't quite the masterpiece I remembered. But even as an adult, if you can suspend your disbelief and avoid wincing over some corny naming, there's some enjoyment here. 2.5 stars
Rie
Oct 12, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as a kid, perusing the sci fi stacks at the library. I don't remember the cover being so cheesy, but I liked the story, though there was probably a lot I couldn't grasp as a kid. The main character was a cat named Furtig, and I remember naming my pound kitty after him. I'm a terrible book reviewer. hehe.
Wildan
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I was ready to give this five stars when I realized that there are plotholes. Not major ones, granted, but enough to make me drop a star. Aside from that, excellent story-telling, excellent characters, excellent conclusion. A very solid work.
Joe Santoro
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soft_sf
So what happens when humans wipe themselves out? The cats take over, of course! I think I've decided I just don't like Andre Norton that much. There's nothing particularly bad about the book.. it's a pretty basic post-apocalypse story, where Cats (The People), Dogs (Barkers), Pigs (Tusked Ones) and Rats (Rattons) mutate enough to have intelligence, and trying to figure out why the Demons (Us) left, and protect themselves in case they come back.

Meanwhile, the remnants of man found a p
Wilson E. Stevens Sr.
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Nice book, good plot and development. Man pollutes and creates a illness that forces him off earth, and after hundreds of years returns because they have again damaged their home world. However their return to earth finds that now it is inhabited by intelligent alien beings they had left behind, like the cats, dogs, rats and yes the wart hogs. The resulting struggles, discoveries, and decisions will impact all involved.
Alyssa
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting new characters and elements for sci-fi. Different, in a good way.
Penny
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cats, science-fiction
I read this book when I was a kid and loved it. It got me into sci-fi.
Leland
Jan 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humans have deserted Earth in the wake of something that went terribly wrong. Now, 500 years later races of cats, dogs and rats have evolved into the dominant earth species. Cats, who think of themselves as 'The People" live in caves with exceptional social development. Their enemies include the Barkers and the evil, vile future rats called Rattons.

This story is told from the perspective of Furtig, a future cat, who after failing to win a mate in 'the Trials' leaves his home and seeks the 'know
Emily
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Norton's futuristic tale centers on a group of felines who have evolved into one of the planet's dominant species in the absence of humans. Where the humans went and how this evolution began is one of the book's central questions. Dogs, pigs and rats have become more advanced as well and there is conflict between each of these groups. One far-thinking leader attempts to unite the groups called Barkers, Tuskers and People in the event the "Demons" (humans) return. It is expected the Rattons will ...more
John
A nostalgic read, since I first picked this up in elementary school. The writing style relies heavily on The Syntax Pretentious, and the story ends fairly abruptly -- basically, a bunch of stuff gets set up, and then a character introduced midway into the story spends the last few pages explaining that everything got resolved off-screen.

I read an OCRed eBook, which consistently converted several Science Fictiony terms to words it found in the dictionary -- "rumbler" to "nimbler," "Ra
Abra
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my perennial favorite science fiction stories from the 1970s. Andre Norton loved her cats (according to both Wikipedia and to her own introduction to the novel), and this is a tale of cats who evolve into often bipedal humanoids because of human chemical pollution of their environment and presumably genetic engineering gone awry. I liked how she drew out catly traits into cultural ones. The tone when she's talking from the human explorers' PoV sounds a great deal like early McCaff ...more
Baron Greystone
I had forgotten all about this book, and this may be the first time I actually read it. It's one of those post-apocalypse books I like, and I wonder if it's the first use of mutated animal intelligences rising as a result of the fall of mankind. In any case, that's the story in a nutshell, but the author does a fine job with her characterization and plot. Sometimes her stuff seems a little shallow and formulaic from today's perspective, but not this one. A fun read.
Ariel
Feb 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Andre Norton is my favorite sci-fi author and this book is my favorite of his, I've read it three times. The book takes place on a planet after humans (or the "Devils") leave because of a disease. The animals that are left have evolved. The story starts off following one of the People (evolved cats) and his choice to go to one of the buildings left by the Devils. This book is incredibly creative and full of suspense and conflict that kept me turning the pages.
William Crosby
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About Earth after humans leave (or destroy selves) because of their poisoning of the planet; this also affects certain animals (cats, dogs, rats, boars)making them intelligent. Tells mostly of the cats and also what happens when 4 humans from another world come back to find out what happened.

Cats.
Mark York
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have a good imagination, and are into post apocaliptic stories this one is a good read, if you like smart evolutionary animals especially cats, this is for you. please read and let me know what you think.
Lisa
Mar 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: mine
A post-apocalyptic novel about the fate of man's animals and pets when man is gone. It's an okay story but the prose is kind of stiff and there isn't a speck of humor to be found. The ending was abrupt as well.
Leslie
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite Andre Norton books!! I have read it many times over the years and got my kids to read it as well.
Charles
Jul 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
One of my favorites of Norton's books. It long precedes David Brin's excellent uplift war idea.
Andi
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was pretty good for teenage science fiction but it didn't quite hold my attention and there were slow parts that dragged while the climax and wrap-up were really quick. Interesting though.
Friedrich Haas
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
My cover is better though, but Goodreads doesn't show it.
Autumn
One of my favourite books.
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A modern day Native American pilot is shot down over Russia. This is his story of capture and escapes as well as the story of the Russian girl who captures his heart.
Roxanne
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Read this as a kid and haven't reread it in many years, but I have such fond memories of it.
Dasha
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this book! So much love for the perspectives she put forward.
Mary
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was very enjoyable read. It was well written and the characters were very likable. This adventure is Andre Norton at her best.

• Metropolitan Museum Of Art
  • A Shadow in Summer (Long Price Quartet, #1)
  • The Black Cauldron (The Chronicles of Prydain, #2)
  • The Castle of Llyr (The Chronicles of Prydain, #3)
  • Taran Wanderer (The Chronicles of Prydain, #4)
  • The High King (The Chronicles of Prydain, #5)
  • A Betrayal in Winter (Long Price Quartet, #2)
  • An Autumn War (Long Price Quartet, #3)
  • The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4)
  • Bilbo's Last Song
  • SJWs Always Lie: Taking Down the Thought Police
  • Apt Pupil
  • The Little Sisters of Eluria (The Dark Tower, #0.5)
  • The First Discworld Novels: The Colour of Magic and the Light Fantastic
  • The Spiderwick Chronicles Box Set (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1-5)
  • The Blue Djinn of Babylon (Children of the Lamp, #2)
  • Brokedown Palace
  • The Desecrator
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. She also used the names Andrew North and Allen ...more