Start by marking “The Encyclöpedia öf Heavy Metal” as Want to Read:
The Encyclöpedia öf Heavy Metal

The Encyclöpedia öf Heavy Metal

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  210 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Headbangers rejoice, because this fantastically illustrated encyclopedia includes all things Metal, from influential bands such as Led Zeppelin, Blue Cheer, Iron Butterfly, Kiss, and Queen, to Mötley Crue, Black Sabbath (before Ozzy became a family sitcom star), Deep Purple, Twisted Sister, and Aerosmith, right up to Jane's Addiction, Las Cruces, Limp Bizkit, and today's m ...more
Published October 1st 2003 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about The Encyclöpedia öf Heavy Metal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Encyclöpedia öf Heavy Metal

Peejo
Oct 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: music fans of all genres
Thank goody Jesus (Sterling) I found this book lying on our coffee when I was reading that other metal piece. THIS is what a history of heavy metal should be. Illustrated, big pictures. Complete band member listings (by album and date), complete history of each band, album/genre/artist lists at the end of the book, and so on, as well as an informed opinion that is partial to what contemporaries of the artists were actually feeling when they were making music.

This book provided a wonderful counte
Benjamin Duffy
Aug 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an incredibly fun coffee table book. There are a lot of great things about it - it's exhaustively researched, pretty accurate for a book in this genre, and loaded with hundreds of amazing photos. The best thing about the book, however, is Bukszpan's writing, which is laugh-out-loud hilarious. The photo captions alone could be compiled into an epically funny book about heavy metal. I come back to this book again and again for reference, fact-checking, or just plain entertainment.

The down
Bryan
May 17, 2010 marked it as unowned-to-buy
Shelves: nonfiction, music
May 16, 2010 - RIP Ronnie James Dio
Brice
Aug 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: other
This is a pretty well done book covering the genre of metal. I wouldn't really label some of the bands it covers metal though such as limp biskit, or slipknot.
Nick
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyable look at many hard rock and heavy metal bands. Bukszpan included all the mainstage groups as well as many bands that you've probably never heard of. While the information was excellent, I thought his attempt at being funny throughout the book was lame. Next time I hope he simply sticks to the facts and history of the music. My only other complaint would be that Bukszpan makes it obvious who his favorite bands are by explaining their history more than is really needed (including his own ...more
wendy
Dec 04, 2007 rated it liked it
one of these days i'm going to go through this cover to cover.

okay - i'm only in the g's and i've already found mistakes.

found a few more mistakes - and that's just the stuff i KNOW. i've never heard of this daniel guy and don't know how he got this gig. but okay - so you're the editor of the ency. of heavy metal and no one knows who the heck you are...do NOT include your band that no one has ever heard of!!!!!

done. found one last mistake for good measure. then in reading the top 10 lists at th
Jayden McPhill
Oct 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book!
I admit I haven't read the whole book but some of the bands are just to weird for me to read about, so I just stick to reading my favorite bands biographies.
This book is more of a mix of heavy metal and rock and roll, because some of the bands in here are not heavy metal, like Led Zeppelin. They aren't heavy metal, they are influences to many heavy metal bands and that's all that they have to do with heavy metal. Same with Jimi Hendrix.
Other than that, I like this book m
Matt Kathler
Haha just sooo great.
John Stange
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Impossible to have all bands in there, but most are in here. All the greats plus a bunch of not so well known. Quite impressive.
Harold
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Heart? Queen? Bon...Jovi?
charles gehr
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is really good. The author has a great way of explaining the history and perspective of those engaged at the time period.
Adi
Apr 15, 2010 rated it liked it
some bands in this book cannot classified as metal but its okay, there's a zillion of metal band out there, it's impossible to cover them all in a book.
Chrissy
Dec 04, 2008 is currently reading it
my birthday present from keith and chrissy. and how did i open it directly to "danzig" without even trying!?
Melody
Dec 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes heavy metal
Great info and amazing photos. I've learned probably 1/4 of everything I know about heavy metal from this book. Highly recommended to anyone who appreciates the genre.
Kelly
Oct 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
I wouldn't classify all the bands in here as metal bands, and some of the descriptions annoyed me, but it's decent.
El
Jun 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books - it Rocks!!!
Covermonkey
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great resource for Heavy Metal fans - and a good way to discover bands that you may not have encountered before. Very thorough and lots of images.
Simon
Mackenna
Aug 07, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Bang Your Head: The Rise and Fall of Heavy Metal
  • Running with the Devil: Power, Gender and Madness in Heavy Metal Music (Music/Culture)
  • Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal
  • Alice Cooper, Golf Monster: A Rock 'n' Roller's 12 Steps to Becoming a Golf Addict
  • Run to the Hills: Iron Maiden, the Authorized Biography
  • Parental Advisory: Music Censorship in America
  • Shut Up and Give Me the Mic
  • Heavy Metal Islam: Rock, Resistance, and the Struggle for the Soul of Islam
  • Kellokosken prinsessa
  • Iron Man: My Journey Through Heaven & Hell with Black Sabbath
  • Johnny Depp: A Modern Rebel
  • Hey Ho Let's Go: The Story of the Ramones
  • Tattoos & Tequila: To Hell and Back with One of Rock's Most Notorious Frontmen
  • Nobody Likes You: Inside the Turbulent Life, Times, and Music of Green Day