Start by marking “beast feast” as Want to Read:
beast feast

beast feast

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  127 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
In this hilarious collection of twenty-one original animal poems and paintings, the animals are out in all their finned, furry, and feathered glory. From lobsters to rheas to fireflies, kiwis to camels to chameleons, here’s a beast for everyone to love!
Published March 15th 1998 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published June 6th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about beast feast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about beast feast

Dolly
Mar 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Short poems about various animals with humorous watercolor paintings that accompany each. The poems remind me somewhat of Shel Silverstein, with their short length and the way that the words are often shaped in various sizes and fonts to help convey the meaning of the poem. Fun book to read aloud.
Caitlin Mayer
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
1. This book is not only a book of poetry; the poems are also informational. Many of these poems are humorous for children. While reading, students are being exposed to poetry, some which rhyme, some that don’t, some with visual interest and some with pain text. These are all elements that students will see while studying poetry.
2. This text is great to use to expose students to various elements within poetry. In like how in addition to reading and learning poetry, students are learning facts ab
Alyssa
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: el-ed-340
Poetry
Great for a brain break, has lots of short poems about strange animals. Would be fun to use for choral readings.
Nicole
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
While not normally a fan of poetry, I loved the ease of the short poems. A great way to start introducing poetry to small children, with adorable colorful drawings of animals to go along with the poems.
Megan Cureton
Beast feast is a book that consists of different types of poems all about different kinds of animals. The animals range from a walrus to a kangaroo. I like how the author used different types of techniques when writing his poems. When he was talking about the poem on the anteater, he used his words to go down the page, like a word per line. It really gained my attention and I thought it was a nice touch to the poem. The only thing I didn't care for about this book was sometimes the author made u ...more
This book of poems would be perfect for a brain break. I like how short the poems are and that most of the poems are witty. These poems would be great for an animal unit or for brain breaks. I liked this book.

Interest Level
Animals

AWARDS AND REVIEW EXCERPT(S) https://mrsla
Jonathan H.
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beast Feast in a poetry anthology. It has twenty-one poems about various creatures. Most poems were rhyming poems, but there where a few picture poems. The poems talked about what was unique about each animal, or what was a special feature. This book really helps people learn about the animals and what is unique about each.
The poems were written by Douglas Florian. Florian is an artist and writer from New York City. Florian included a water color painting of each beast with the corresponding po
Barbara
Relying on short lines with carefully chosen words, the poet offers readers 21 different poems that ruminate about the nature of various beasts. Thus, one poem ("The Walrus") ponders what "Makes the walrus/ Walrusty" (p. 6)while another one ("The Whale") describes how the whale "spew[s] a spout" (p. 22), insuring that everyone notices him. Most fun to read aloud, though, has to be "The Boa," which ends "There's moa and moa and moa and moa" (p. 13). The poems alternate with intriguing full-page w ...more
Marissa Pezzullo
This was a poem book about animals. I enjoyed reading the little poems because they made me feel a little different in each one of them. I would have this in my classroom and probably share this with the children if we talked about certain animals at certain times. That way they could be exposed to poems in a fun form.
Dorothy Carder
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
The illustrations were drawn to make each animal look scary, in part probably because of the title of the book. These were short poems, which would make it easy for a young student to read them. I also thought because of the content of the "scary" animals the book would be better geared towards little boys.
Kristin
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: with-henry, childrens
SUCH a great book for little dudes. Henry loves the enormous watercolors, and I love reading him the poems. Some are just a few lines long while others are about a page. My favorite is the rhea:

The rhea really isn't strange
It's just an ostrich, rearranged.

Henry was kind of upset by the lobster upon our first reading. The lobster, you see, is a mobster. Henry does not support organized crime.
Sara
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
a poem book about various animals. it is a good books for young children specially boys. this book talked about many animals and each animal has a poem in fort of his picture. this book also encourage kids to start writing poems. I like it
Kristen
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-verse
Third grade +.

Twenty-one poems, all written by Douglas Florian. Each one focuses on a specific animal.

Sweet books; rhymes are catchy. Good descriptive words to increase vocabulary. A picture for each poem. Excellent!
Jen
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb, food-poetry
I didn't like the pictures so much (water colors) some creepier than others, but the poems were very original and well written. Fun little book!!! (The author has very traditional poems, but then plays with words occassionally to make it fun)
Brent Rogers
Mar 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
This is a poetry book that features many different animals. The pictures are not the greatest, but he poems are fun and entertaining for children. It is an easy-read for first grade and up. Douglas Florian wrote the poems and illustrated the pictures.
Lindsey Rogers
A book with short poems about small animals. Great book to discuss the many characteristics that animals have in our world. The easy rhyming is great for ESOL students and can help them become more fluent.
The topic is animals and diversity among animals.
I would use this book in grades K- 3.
Lisa Ford
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great book of animal poems! very creative!
Suz
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
My students love Douglas Florian's poetry and illustrations.
Wendy
Dec 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read this one as much with the kids but will when we start learning about more "beast-like" animals in preschool. Mike has read it to Ian many times and he likes "The Sloth."
Emily
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Nice collection of short animal poems and accompanying illustrations. Mix of rhyme and concrete poems. Lots of funny puns!
Alison Tripp
Sep 05, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a book of short poems about various animals. It introduces a lot of creatures kids are probably not immediately familiar with such as the kiwi. The poems are short and easy to read.
Gabriela Murillo
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This is a poem book that contains different short funny animal poems. Each poem comes with an amazing drawing that is humorous. I really enjoyed reading this book.
Brooke
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book was odd. It felt like a thrift store of poems. It was good but the way it was put together threw me off.
Wendi
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It talks about a lot of different animals. You get to learn about all the animals and what they look like. A lot of reading for a little kids book.
Pita-eater
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Not my favorite of Florian's works. Just okay.
Susan
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Challenge your listeners to guess the animals featured through this descriptive poetry that highlights animals and their traits or habitats through rhyming text.
Jenna
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book of "beasts" and the poems that go along with each creature. I loved the watercolor illustrations. Children will love these poems if they have an interest in creatures and monsters.
Samantha
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
A story with short poems about "beasts," like the walrus, lobster, and boa. Included some good vocabulary, like "invertebrates."
Darrielle
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is a really great book of short poetry. The poems are funny and provide facts about creatures. share this book with 2nd to 5th grade students
Debra Millan
I really enjoyed this book and think it would be an excellent way to introduce students to poetry.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »