Start by marking “Paper Tiger: An Obsessed Golfer's Quest to Play with the Pros” as Want to Read:
Paper Tiger: An Obsessed Golfer's Quest to Play with the Pros

Paper Tiger: An Obsessed Golfer's Quest to Play with the Pros

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  259 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The riotously funny story of one weekend golfer who lived the dream—devoting a full year to nothing but the quixotic quest to qualify at the PGA Q-School

A lifelong golfer and former caddy, Tom Coyne could drive the ball 300 yards but always struggled against stiff competition; he had often wondered whether the pros won because they were more innately talented or just bec

Published June 1st 2006 by Gotham

To ask other readers questions about Paper Tiger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paper Tiger

Moses
Jan 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Well, I don't golf, and yet, I finished the book. The golf, it turns out, was the least interesting part of the book. I enjoyed most enjoyed the characters, the myopic questing, and the Voltaire-esque ending (life is perhaps best when enjoyed simply, with one's loved ones). Not amazing, but well-played.
Ben
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyed this book. Nice ending.
Chad Supp
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having finished "A Course Called Ireland" while traveling to Florida for vacation, I figured why not read Coyne's "Paper Tiger" while on the beach. Quick summary: The story is Coyne's personal year-long journey, dedicating his life to becoming a tour pro (or reaching Q-School anyway). The book is very funny, and Coyne's self-deprecating humor is the star of the show. He does an effective job of illustrating how ridiculously hard and frustrating the game of golf can be, while also describing the ...more
Andy Valen
May 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Marginal. This guy tries to make the PGA tour...and fails. But he proposes to his girlfriend at the end as if you are supposed to feel like you didn't waste your time reading this book. Another thing I didn't like was that he slips in that his girlfriend is hot numerous times. That seemed to annoy me for some reason. It seemed like he was saying, "Yeah, I didn't make the PGA tour...I didn't even do anything of note for the past year except waste peoples money...but I have a girlfriend - and she ...more
Jwh370
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting book about a talented golfer devoting himself to golf and seeing if he could play with the big boys. For any golf fan, it shows the marginal difference between the good players and the great players. It also shows the sacrafice needed to really compete with the Phil's and Tiger's of the world. A great read!
Brad Larsen
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting treatment of the standard golfer's question: "if I took a year and did nothing but golf, how good could I get?"

I liked the narrative feel of the story - as if I was sitting at the bar listening to the author tell it. There ultimately was something missing from the story and from the golf game. I had trouble staying interested through the end. It just didn't flow.
Gigi
Jul 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Becoming a golf pro is harder than one might think. I loved reading about Tom Coyne's quest for Q School. Any golfer will enjoy this book and wish they could take a year off to live and breath the game.
Becki Tooley
Jun 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
I bought this to better understand Golfers. I was impressed with the insight and the beautiful way the preparation for a round of play was written. I am still not a golfer, but perhaps I will try to swing a stick soon. Good Read.
Jamie Gallagher
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As someone who has been around the game of golf for 20 years. I feel like I have known 5 to 10 people who could of tried this. Just give up life for a year a dedicate it to your golf game. None could of written about as well as Tom. This is a must read for any golf fan.
Phil Simon
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Rarely do I laugh out loud reading books. This was one of those times. I could relate on some level, being an amateur hack. Amazing story.
Jared Ober
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Coyne is an EXCELLENT writer. Had a nice flair without being overly glib. Really seems to connect with the reader.
Tim Morgan
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well written and what every good folder thinks. A fun read.
Ed
Nov 26, 2007 rated it liked it
Strong start, weak ending.
Smh624
Aug 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is just a really nice book about finding out what's important in life. I liked it a lot. I will read more from Tom Coyne.
Vince Carter
Jan 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Vivid glimpse at coming to appreciate how good those guys are!
Derek
Jan 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is like imagining how you would spend a lottery win for golfers.
Scott
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing

5 stars, very humorous. My second Coyne book-loved it.
Kevin
  • The Majors
  • Dead Solid Perfect
  • Final Rounds: A Father, a Son, the Golf Journey of a Lifetime
  • Hogan
  • Tommy's Honor: The Story of Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris, Golf's Founding Father and Son
  • Zen Golf: Mastering the Mental Game
  • Golf is Not a Game of Perfect
  • How I Play Golf
  • Win Shares
  • Munson: The Life and Death of a Yankee Captain
  • Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf
  • Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Lineups: A Complete Guide to the Best, Worst, and Most Memorable Players to Ever Grace the Major Leagues
  • Golf for Dummies