Start by marking “Girls Can Be Anything” as Want to Read:
Girls Can Be Anything

Girls Can Be Anything

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
By using living examples, Marina convinces her kindergarten friend Adam that girls can be doctors, pilots, and presidents, too.
Hardcover
Published February 20th 1973 by Dutton Books

To ask other readers questions about Girls Can Be Anything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls Can Be Anything

HeavyReader
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that made me a feminist.

I read it when I was really young. I remember borrowing it from the Lafayette (Louisiana) public library. I remember reading it and just being enthralled, fascinated that contrary to what the (1970s)world around me said, I could be anything I wanted to be when I grew up.

I've thought of this book so many times over the years, but couldn't remember the exact title and certainly not the author. I just saw the cover (while searching through the list of books
Joey Hines
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e, feminism, politics, 1973
"That night after supper Marina said to her mother and father, 'I don't know what we're going to do with Adam Sobel. He says such silly things.'

'What did he say today that was so silly?' her father said.

'He said there never was a woman president,' Marina said.

There was a pause.

'Isn't he a silly boy!' Marina said. 'I call him a dum-dum.'

'Well, it's true, there's never been a woman President of the United States,' Mother said.

'Have there been women presidents of other places?' said Marina.

'Other c
Hailey
Jan 14, 2016 added it
Shelves: child-lit
In this book Adam tells Marina she can't be things like a pilot, a doctor or a president because those are boy jobs. Marina proceeds to tell her parents that Adam is mean and they tell her that she can be anything she wants to be. Marina tells Adam what her parents said and they both decide what they want to be when the grow up.
I like this book because it empowers women at a young age and it describes that any job can be both for women and men.
I can use this book during career week to show how
Jason
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Daughters everywhere
Recommended to Jason by: Tales for Little Rebels: A Collection of Radical Children's Literature (http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Little-Re... )
A young boy and girl discover the open-ended possibilities for girls through imaginative play and stories of real-life accomplishment. Girls can grow up to be not only nurses, airline stewardesses, and First Ladies, but also doctors, pilots, and even the President of the USA. Another excellent kids' book which is sadly out of print.
Raven Grider
Apr 08, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is very old. However, the content is great. I would use this book to incorporate gender and teach about how women can be anything they please. The illustrations are dull and outdated, but as mentioned, the content is great.
Amanda Stacy
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ece-3601
Awesome book to teach students that they can be anything that they set their mind to. I would use this to build self esteem circumstances where boys and girls say the other cant do something because of their gender. This can be used from Pre-K to 5th.
Kristin Traina
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love this book, because the little girl in it is so funny. She and her firmed, who happens to be a guy, argue over the roles they will play when they are pretend playing and she always seems to win. This book is great for discussing gender biases and roles.
Rebekah Landers
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book made me cry.
Adam
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my 4 year old daughter all the time. She loves it and we remind her that girls CAN do anything!
Jessica
Christina
Feb 02, 2013
Vicki
May 06, 2017
Norma Klein was born in New York City and graduated cum laude and was a member of Phi Beta Kappa from Barnard College with a degree in Russian. She later received her master's degree in Slavic languages from Columbia University.

Ms. Klein began publishing short stories while attending Barnard and since then she had written novels for readers of all ages. The author got her ideas from everyday life