Start by marking “Wake Up and Smell the Planet: The Non-Pompous, Non-Preachy Grist Guide to Greening Your Day” as Want to Read:

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  129 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Forget the guilt; forget the panic; learn to live green. That seems to be the message of Grist's guide to grassroots sustainability. Readers familiar with the online magazine's credo will know what to expect: "We believe that news about green issues and sustainable living doesn't have to be predictable, demoralizing, or dull. We butter the vegetables! And add salt!" Wake U ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Mountaineers Books

To ask other readers questions about Wake Up and Smell the Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wake Up and Smell the Planet

Fred Dameron
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
A really good guide to things we can all do every day that will extend our ability to live the lives we currently lead. From some obvious ones, drive slower, take shorter showers, buy fair trade and local products to things we don't think of. Such as, don't use your dryer since there is no such thing as an energy star dryer, use cotton only shirts and pants but check to make sure it's fair trade. The purchases we make every day really do affect the planet but where do you look for info? Each sec ...more
Guy
Aug 04, 2011 added it
This book was written after years of compiling data from the Grist.org website and the questions that many people have asked over and over. Grist was founded by Chip Giller of Seattle. He started it as an e-mailed newsletter to like minded individuals. Grist.org has an audience over 750,000 and growing.

I enjoyed reading this book as it was written in a way that reminded me of listening to NPRs Car Talk guys. Filled with lots of facts and humor. I learned that make-up, beauty supplies are one of
Erin
Sep 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone who likes clean air & water & health
Who would have thought that reading about how to change your habits & save the planet could make you laugh out loud? The humor makes reality easier to digest, as do the short sections/chapters and grey "sidebars." (They're not really on the side.) Some of their suggestions will take some dedication to achieve, but others are so simple anyone could do them--and everyone should. Forgoing plastic water bottles is one example. Long live ceramic & stainless steel! The book also weighs the pro ...more
Karla
Aug 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: homelibrary
I love Grist so my opinion is probably very biased, but I loved this book. It has lots of a great suggestions on how to green your life, some that are easy to follow and some that are a little harder but nothing too drastic. This book is a lot like It's Easy Being Green: A Handbook for Earth-Friendly Living by Crissy Trask. Plus it's printed on recycled paper and uses soy inks!
Zen
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Fun Fun Fun! Written in mag-style (short articles), this is great for educating yourself without having to read a treatise. They even admit that book publishing is not green. LOL! Anyway, I think my favorite section was about green burials. I always thought I would get cremated but now I know that my cremated self can get pressed into blocks (with others) that can be used to renew coral reefs! How cool is that?!

I have to return this to the library - but I'll definitely borrow it again!
Aimee
Mar 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I seriously love this book. They have a great Web site too (Grist). It's the kind of book you'll want to keep by your bedside or on the coffee table and pick up again every so often to help you remember this or that. Really, this book is so much for anyone--not just tree-hugging, tofu-eating, patchouli-wearing hippies. If you only ever buy one environmental book, buy this one. I'm giving it 5 stars because the writers manage to be irreverent while still being reverent, minus one star because the ...more
Rachel
Apr 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
Just like the title says, "The Non-Pompous, Non-preachy Grist Guide to Greening Your Day."

It gives you facts about what goes in and comes out of your daily routines and habits, but it also gives you practical solutions on how to avoid making or producing things that damage the earth.

I really appreciated the abundance of website references and product sites. Totally buying flushable diapers one day (gdiapers.com!)
Nadine
Jun 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, green
I really enjoyed this book. It takes the reader through a basic day and offers ways to green your life--some big, some small. Lots of humor, and it brings up things I'd never thought of before--for instance, how green are your sex toys? A very easy read with lots of good ideas, and it's non-preachy. No guilt involved!
Amy
Mar 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
A very good book that provides more info to make you more green. From what cat litter to use/not use and what health and beauty products to use/not use, this book is full of a lot of great info, and is pretty dang funny.
Kat O'B
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Fun, little read with great info. I read it in bits at bedtime the way I usually do a magazine. I borrowed this book, but kind of want my own copy so I can skim over it now and again-- just to keep reminding myself to stay on top of my "green" game!
Cynthia
Sep 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: average people who want to be "greener"
Always looking for ways to reduce my negative impact on the planet. This is a super quick read of a guide with thoughts on how to conserve more and waste less without being extreme.
I've read others in this category and they tend to get repetitious, but this book gave me a few new ideas.
Beth
Mar 26, 2008 rated it liked it
It was a lot of information I already knew, but it was still a fun, interesting read.
Kim
Nov 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great for eco-lovers and eco-awkwards alike. This book provides great everyday tips on how to make your world a little bit "greener", from grist.org
The Librarian
Mar 12, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: green-living
Most of the "tips" are of the common sense variety.
Summer
Nov 27, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Lots of great tips for lessening your impact on the planet.
Rachel Maxwell
Jan 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
WAAAAAYYYY to crazy crunchy for me. I'm not giving up razors. I don't care how much plastic is takes. Not helpful. Very preachy while trying to hide under the guise of being funny. Not so much
Julie Tong
Aug 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
An easy quick read to living green. Simple easy ways to help make the world a better place.
Michelle
Jul 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun guide to living green, I'm going to save it as a reference.
Kimberly
Aug 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
I love Grist, but this book was kind of disappointing. It has some useful information, but it's organized in a way that makes the good stuff hard to find. Plenty of snark, but not enough substance.
Susan Beich
May 16, 2012 rated it liked it
A fast reader. Simply stated ideas for being greener. I picked up a few things. Good for someone getting used to the idea. Reads in one day or less.
Doris Raines
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I. Totally. Agree. With. You. Davis. Wake. Up. And. Smell. Planet. And. The. Green. Good. Book.
Alexa Hamilton
Jan 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: green-ish
Easy read. As promised, it isn't preachy. It educates about consumption without requiring that you move off the grid, install solar panels and a bidet.
Meadow
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Very witty. And as advertised, not preachy or pompous. Worth reading and putting into practice.
Laurie
Jul 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Lots of information and useful tips presented in a kind of breezy, fun way.
Gail
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Lots of good suggestions for living a greener life.
Lindsey
Dec 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, nonfiction
Cool little book with information about changes you can make in your daily life. Ways to be a great consumer with humor mixed in for the ride!
Andy
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Andy by: My boss
This book makes you think about being green in ways we usually do not think about. It shows disturbing facts, too. Makes me want to be a lot greener than I currently am.
Swancc
Sep 18, 2012
Katie
Nov 29, 2007
Julie
May 07, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Once & Future Giants: What Ice Age Extinctions Tell Us about the Fate of Earth's Largest Animals
  • الكوارث العالمية: مقدمة قصيرة جدًّا
  • Green Gone Wrong: How Our Economy Is Undermining the Environmental Revolution
  • Shell Games: Rogues, Smugglers, and the Hunt for Nature's Bounty
  • Now or Never: Why We Must Act Now to End Climate Change and Create a Sustainable Future
  • With Speed and Violence: Why Scientists Fear Tipping Points in Climate Change
  • Global Warming: A Very Short Introduction
  • Twilight of the Machines
  • The World Is Blue: How Our Fate and the Ocean's Are One
  • Lost Woods: The Discovered Writing of Rachel Carson
  • Ecological Intelligence: How Knowing the Hidden Impacts of What We Buy Can Change Everything
  • Hot: Living Through the Next Fifty Years on Earth
  • Twelve by Twelve: A One-Room Cabin Off the Grid and Beyond the American Dream
  • The Nature of Design: Ecology, Culture, and Human Intention
  • The Economics of Enough: How to Run the Economy as If the Future Matters
  • World on the Edge: How to Prevent Environmental and Economic Collapse
  • Storms Of My Grandchildren: The Truth About The Climate Catastrophe And Our Last Chance To Save Humanity
  • The Ripple Effect: The Fate of Fresh Water in the Twenty-First Century

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99