Start by marking “Crooked Heart” as Want to Read:
Crooked Heart

Crooked Heart (Divine Mystery #1)

3.2  ·  Rating details ·  90 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
From a luminous new voice in suspense fiction comes this wise, witty, and uplifting novel--a mystery with heart that will illuminate more than just whodunit and why. In her stunning debut, Cristina Sumners, an Episcopalian priest brings to life an unforgettable town, a less-than-perfect crime, and two flawed souls hoping to solve the mysteries of life, death...and possibly ...more
Published September 30th 2003 by Bantam (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Crooked Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crooked Heart

ashley
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This book did not feel religious...which is one of the reasons I enjoyed it, I don't like Christian fiction, personally. That is not a comment on religion. I just prefer my books with all the seedy greatness they can have. It had strong points and weak points as well, but it was an interesting read. I went ahead and got the others in the series.
Trudy Pomerantz
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
"She examines the hearts of her characters though the magnifying glass of theology - and she knows her stuff." From a review by Carolyn Haines on the back of the book.

I guess it depends on whether you like your theology with a dollop of liberalism. To have one of the protagonists (an Episcopalian female priest) argue that lust is less sinful (of the seven deadly sins) because it is related to love, displays an ignorance of Scripture, in my opinion. Scripture is very clear of the dangers of lust
Marilyn
This was an "interesting" sort of book. Written by an Episcopal Priest it centers around a woman priest who ... would make you raise your eyebrows! Tom Holder, the Chief of Police, who's trapped in a miserable marriage, makes every excuse under the sun to visit her (Rev. Kathryn Koerney). Alas! A murder...which involves both of them and sends them scurrying to find answers to the murder and try to figure out what their relationship is! ERK! Not my normal type of reading. I pass.
Mossy
Nov 12, 2015 added it
This was my introduction to the author and her characters. I was somewhat dismayed in the beginning with the 'church' aspect but found myself drawn in by the Rev. Kathryn Koerney. Well developed characters and left me wanting to read more of this author and her Harton New Jersey folks!
Olean Public Library
--A lady priest and a police chief get together to solve a homicide.

--A small town police chief and a female Episcopal priest unite to solve a very complicated homicide and cover-up. A very interesting story.
CLM
Jul 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another author whose heroine/sleuth is a minister, who finds herself solving mysteries - at times to the disquiet of her congregation.
Nancy
Oct 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Pleasant mystery read.
Ellen
Holder & Koerney book 1 NJ
Jeanne
Nov 23, 2009 rated it liked it
It was a good light read, fun and entertaining.
Bebe Four
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Kristen
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
This quick mystery was a pleasant surprise. The plot was pretty easy to unravel, but the female reverend was a very likable character. I will look out for the rest of this series.
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting story, interesting characters.
Karen Palmer
Jan 27, 2008
Amy
Mar 08, 2013
Gerri Balter
rated it did not like it
Jun 17, 2014
Jul 14, 2011
Joan
May 05, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
CRISTINA SUMNERS holds a M.Div from the General Seminary of the Episcopal Church and an M.Phil. in Medieval English Studies from Oxford University. She has worked in two churches in Texas and as the Education Officer at a large urban church in England. Married to a scientist, she lives in Taos, New Mexico.
More about Cristina Sumners