Start by marking “The Ecology of Eden: Humans, Nature and Human Nature” as Want to Read:
The Ecology of Eden: Humans, Nature and Human Nature

The Ecology of Eden: Humans, Nature and Human Nature

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  50 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Once Eden is lost, can it ever be recovered? In this magisterial contribution to the literature of ecology and the environment, our nostalgia for the myth of paradise - the primeval, self-sufficient, nurturing garden where mankind was born - is the starting point of a brilliant inquiry into what our place in Nature has been and ought to be.

An encyclopedic survey of efforts
Published June 9th 2000 by Picador (first published October 5th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Ecology of Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ecology of Eden

Rohan Arthur
Eisenberg explores our troubled relationship with the pristine asking why our every attempt to return to it, preserve it, revere it, takes us ever further away from Eden. In attempting to characterise our place in relation to nature, Eisenberg sets up what he sees as archetypal opposites - Fetishers and Managers fighting over the right distance to be between the Mountain (Pristine Nature) and the Tower (Pure Urbanity) while trying to preserve both nature and culture. These are caricatures of cou ...more
Juliet Wilson
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a history of the changing human relationship with nature, starting out with our beginnings and encompassing religious attitudes to nature; and explorations of the development of agriculture and technology and how that changed our relationship with nature. How do images of Eden (and other representations of paradise) fit with reality?

The author's central argument is that our relationship with nature cannot help but be complicated:

The love of nature and the urge to master nature have alway
Carrol
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a great book--really two books in one. The first half was very informative by giving a full overview of the idea of Eden throughout history. The second half is about how we can use these ideas as we face the changes that will come about due to global warming. Many great ideas, which are cause for deep thinking. The bibliography is incredible, and almost mirrors our own bookshelves!
Stephen Plotz
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is an eye opener to how we live today and how much this new age has changed Earth, and also how we can survive in this world by acting with the wild, not just against it. really inspirational and thoughtful. great read all around. I enjoyed having it as a class "text book"
Lyds
Jun 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
scattered. mildly nonsensical. three books in one - the first is a good ethnobotanical history of civilization.
my suggestion? read book one - skip the second two.
Deidre
Jan 09, 2008 rated it liked it
A little hard to start, but pretty fascinating once you get going.
Sean
Sep 14, 2008
Emma Palmer (aka Kamalamani)
Apr 13, 2016