Start by marking “Ordeal In Otherwhere” as Want to Read:
Ordeal In Otherwhere

Ordeal In Otherwhere

(Forerunner #2)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  422 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
When an outlaw seized control of the colonial planet Demeter, Charis Nordholm decided that it could no longer be her home. So she contracted herself into the service of an off-world trader, who assigned her to buy cloth from the mysterious Wyverns.
At first she was attracted to these shimmering dream-rulers of Warlock, and yearned to learn their secrets, but by the time she
Published February 1st 1985 by Ace (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Ordeal In Otherwhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ordeal In Otherwhere

P.D.R. Lindsay
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
At a time when SF and Fantasy were in the doldrums Andre Norton kept it alive, especially for many YA readers. I always loved her books because her female character didn't scream and run away but actually were the real heroines. At a time when it was difficult to find strong female leads Andre Norton gave us so many.

This is still a good read despite its age and YA readers aren't the only ones to enjoy it.
Keith
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good and well done 1960's read. This novel involves an interesting young female protagonist fleeing trouble on a conserative religious planet. She successfully arrives on another planet to face further difficulties. She meets up with Shan Lantree (from: Storm Over Warlock), two "special" wolverines companions and an alien Curl Cat.
Greg
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, sci-fi
An odd little adventure by Andre (Alice) Norton. It's quick and Norton only touches on a few interesting plot points, like a planet where religious zealots have killed or run off government workers and their families. Then the protagonist is off to the planet Warlock, run by Wyverns, female aliens who use dreams to keep their males subservient and to keep off-worlders at bay.

There's some stuff about selling fabric, then our heroine cleverly deduces the "magic" of the Wyverns and uses it to thwa
Jeff Dickison
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This may be the strangest book I have ever read. My theory: Norton read "Alice In Wonderland", smoked a couple of joints, drank some whiskey and wine, chewed up some peyote seeds, ate some magic mushrooms, and then set down and wrote this tale. I love Norton's imagination but this thing was bonkers and very difficult to follow at times. And how come they had earthly wolverines (even though they could converse telepathically) on a planet with only otherwise strange creatures? I really don't know ...more
Mary Catelli
The sequel to Storm Over Warlock -- a fact I never knew until many years after I read this one. (I was rather young when that happened.)

It opens on the planet Demeter, where an extremely selective plague took out most of the men -- as if aimed at the government men, and those families who were most supportive of them. A fanatic leader persuaded them to take out the machinery, as well. And Charis, daughter of the education expert, is fleeing from the mob.

Well, they catch her. And she finds them d
James
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: fiction, sf
Charis Nordholm may be the first human female leading hero in hard SF. Though there are other books like Memoirs of a Spacewoman I haven't read yet that could make that claim. Another possible is A Wrinkle in Time, but I read it over forty years ago and my memory is not that good.

Norton tells a fine tale of bigotry starting with religious intolerance on Demeter where Charis is trafficked by some shady Free Traders to a deep sexual divide on the world of Warlock. Can she stop the evil company men
Bernadette
May 05, 2016 rated it liked it
After the colonial planet Demeter descends into chaos, taken over by prejudice and an outlaw, Charis Nordholm takes the first way out - a indefinite labor contract with a trader. It is this contract that brings her to the planet Warlock to be a go-between in meetings with the mysterious natives. But nothing is quite what it seems on the planet of the dreamers, and Charis must walk a fine line between dream and truth as she discerns what the real danger here is.
Not one of Norton's best by any m
Valerie
This edition seems fairly durable, but it's bound too close to the margins, so it's often difficult to read words near the end of sentences. Also, there are many uncorrected typos.

This sort of acts as a bridge between Storm over Warlock and Forerunner Foray, since the male lead in Forerunner Foray is Ris Lantee, apparently the son of Shann Lantee and Charis Nordholm (introduced in this book).

It's a better book than the first, but Forerunner Foray is better still in some ways. There's less of a
Doris
Apr 16, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
We are introduced to Shann Lantee, related to Ris Lantee from the Forerunner series. In that way, then, this becomes a prequel.

Here, we deal with social issues and misunderstandings, plus a militaristic society that wants to take over. The Wyverns remind me of the Web mistresses from a short story by the same author, although that took place on the Witch World.

It was unsatisfying in that it never really reaches a conclusion - it simply ends. Overall worth reading for the social issues it addre
Charles
Oct 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I misplaced this book when I was about 10 pages from the end, and just found and finished it a couple of days ago. It probably doesn't say much for the book that in the several months before I read the last little bit I was only mildly curious about how it all turns out.

Still, it's enjoyable, and creates an interesting world of magic, science and telepathy. But the story and the characters never quite grabbed me, and it's the sort of book that I will completely forget within the year.
Sandy
Jan 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Companion-like novel to Storm over Warlock. This book also takes place on Warlock, and Shann Lantree is a character in this one as well. However, our main character with this book is female. She is welcomed at first by the witches of Warlock, and when danger strikes, is able to help work towards a peaceful solution for all.
John
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
1982 grade C
Mely
Feb 12, 2011 added it
The first Norton I read, and still one of my favorites. Need to add edition I have (first hardcover, same as I read from the library ages and ages ago).
Nicole
Oct 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The Wyverns of planet Warlock are locked in battle within their cultures. The human slave arrives with the traders who wishes to sell her here.
Dantegideon
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Found everyone pretty unlikeable, I have to say. Mark of her talent that it was still gripping enough to finish.
Christopher
Bee Turk
Oct 09, 2009
Lark of The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Oct 21, 2013
  • The Humanoid Touch (Humanoids, #2)
  • The Clockwork Traitor (Family d'Alembert, #3)
  • The History of the Runestaff
  • Beyond The Shadows (Realms Beyond, #2)
  • Time Scout (Time Scout, #1)
  • Hunter of Worlds (Hanan Rebellion #2)
  • Final Diagnosis (Sector General, #10)
  • Second Genesis
  • The Sorceress of Karres (The Witches of Karres, #3)
  • Trouble With Tycho
  • Strings
  • Seer's Blood
  • Liaden Universe ® Companion [Volume One]
  • Red Limit Freeway (Skyway, #2)
  • The Man Who Counts
  • Rebels and Lovers (Dock Five Universe, #4)
  • The Unforsaken Hiero  (Hiero, #2)
  • The Dragon Lord
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. She also used the names Andrew North and Allen ...more

Forerunner (5 books)
  • Storm Over Warlock (Forerunner, #1)
  • Forerunner Foray