Start by marking “Metzengerstein” as Want to Read:

Read Book

Metzengerstein

The story takes place in Hungary, between two rival families: the Metzengersteins and the Berlifitzings. The bitter enmity between the two families is so old that no one knows how far back it dates. The narrator states that its origin appears to rely on an old prophecy: "A lofty name shall have a fearful fall when, as the rider over his horse, the mortality of ...more
13 pages
Published by feedbooks (first published 1832)

To ask other readers questions about Metzengerstein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metzengerstein

Start your review of Metzengerstein
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
"Horror and fatality have been stalking abroad in all ages. Why then give a date to this story I have to tell?"

With just two sentences Poe gripped me in completely, as ever. His words carry such weight that I find myself enthralled at their delivery. His stories just take away my mind and provide true escapism. He makes the mundane seem exquisitely dark and twisted, beautifully so. Perhaps I’ve read too many of his short stories of late because I’m starting to find that I want to read nothing
Bill Kerwin

Printed in the Philadelphia Saturday Courier (January 14, 1832), this is the first tale Poe published under his own name, and it marks a propitious start to the twenty-three-year-old prose writer’s career. It is no masterpiece, but still, it is a fine exciting tale, filled with Germanic atmosphere, gothic imagery, and romantic rhetoric, continually teetering atop the precipice of parody, but never falling over the edge.

It tells the story of the reckless young Baron Frederick Metzengerstein and
Janete
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
A short story by Edgar Allan Poe which didn't please me much. I've read and listened to other stories of him that were far superior to this one. The writing style is exaggerated and hyperbolic. An audiobook in Portuguese.
Amanna Nawshin
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
The origin of this enmity seems to be found in the words of an ancient prophecy--- "A lofty name shall have a fearfull fall when, as the rider over his horse, the mortality of Metzengerstein shall triumph over the immortality of Berlifitzing." ...more
A. Dawes
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
4* A gothic tale on a hyperbolic scale. This one is devoid of subtlety and is rather heavy handed with regards to both the gothic tropes along with its overt symbolism. In this tale, Frederick, the sole living member of the Metzengerstein family line, has a long standing vendetta with the Berlifitzing clan. When a fire destroys the Berlifitzing patriarch, Frederick is suspected. Frederick, however, is obsessed with a wild horse, which has eerily gone unobserved. Metzengerstein's own home is ...more
Michael Sorbello
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very underrated Poe tale, fully encapsulating the classic elements of gothic literature and Victorian ghost stories. The vivid depiction of the infernal horse rising from the plumes of the burning castle was magnificent.
Tristram Shandy
Tall in the Saddle

Metzengerstein, which was first published in 1832, was indeed Edgar Allan Poe’s first short story, and the author sent it, along with some other tales, to the Saturday Courier as an entry to a writing competition. Poe did not win the competition with any of his contributions, but the editors of the Courier must have taken a fancy to the story for they published it in one of their later editions.

The story is written in the vein of a Gothic tale and set in (medieval?) Europe, and
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
When I was a kid, there was this anime Japanese cartoon that told stories from all over the world, one of them was this story. It was titled "جواد اللهب" which means "horse of flames". I remember that it fascinated me and frightened my younger brother. It was so dark and Frederick was so evil. Now, that I know it's a Poe, I wonder why they did make it into a cartoon, it's too dark for children.

link: حكايات عالمية ـ الحلقة 91 ـ جواد اللهب

Julia Sapphire
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017

This was so engaging and interesting. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this!!
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Hatfields & McCoys meets Sleepy Hollow (Tim Burton's movie, not the awful book or TV show).

Metzengerstein is Poe’s first published short story, and it was not good. Seven pages of confusing, and almost nonsensical, Hatfields and McCoys tale of two feuding families.

Why give it two stars instead of one? Wikipedia. Yeah, I shouldn’t have to resort to another source in order to understand the story, but I identified the important pieces but didn’t know how to put them together. Once I did,
Minh
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very interesting, the concept of metempsychosis.
Lee Klein
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it
A free short story ePub file. Lots of introductory French I half-understood, longstanding feuding houses, a meditating young heir in some remote chamber on a hill as unutterable atrocities occur, stables on fire, a supernatural horse. Overwrought syntax. Serious atmospherics. Final image of a cloud of smoke in the form of a colossal horse a plus! Read thanks to mention in Lovecraft's Supernatural Horror in Literature.
Ashly Lynn
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Poe fans. Horror fans.
Recommended to Ashly by: Love Poe!
Synopsis

An ancient blood feud stretching so many decades it’s forgotten how everything started in the first place that finally brings to life the answer to a prophecy that was made years previous–old and cryptic to the point of vagueness giving the story an eerie sense of being dated yet timeless all at once.

“Metzengerstein” by Edgar Allan Poe

Genre: Short Story/Horror
Release Date: 1832
Source: Barnes & Noble – Bought
On My Shelf: Yes

This short story easily became one of my top favorites from
Rao Javed
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-story
Frankly I was not expecting that Poe's first short story will be that good but it was awesome. I loved it. The story was kinda hard to read but still not what vague. The concept was really good and well progressed. The characters were also good. What i love the most about it is the ending. MIND BLOWING.

[image error]
Rubi
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

ANOTHER GREAT BOOK YOU JUST CAN’T MISS.
Kimberly

Sep 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Chances are I’m just an idiot but I was so confused ...more
David Wright
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
From the outset, there was a sense of foreboding surrounding the prophecy. The story unwinds nicely, describing the bitter resentment between the two 'houses' and expands from there. I found the progression to be somewhat predictable to a certain extent, in the way that the plot developed (up to a point). However, this did not detract from my enjoyment of this and the twist at the end was a nice touch.
Eye of Sauron
A mildly interesting tale suitable for a Halloween night. Some of it is clearly tongue-in-cheek ("A Tale in Imitation of the German"), like the over-the-top German names (Metzengerstein, Wilhelm Von Berlifitzing, a la Candide).

In all, a decent, haunting story that isn't very memorable.
Kristin
Jun 19, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still not sure what happened in this story. Maybe an old curse took affect. Maybe a horse came alive from a painting. Was too confusing to be Poe level creepy. Seriously, most of his poetry makes more sense.
Abby
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a great story about a demon horse and the ruination of a great family as the rider tries to best the horse. It can't be done- don't play with the devil.
Kat In The Hat
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, novellas
the damn horse was creepy as hell
M. Ashraf
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: edgar-allan-poe
Metzengerstein
Short story between two rival families the Metzengersteins and the Berlifitzings.
And a prophesy involving a horse :p
With it its Goth medieval atmosphere, the story and not that bad and not that great neither :/
An interesting story, did not like it that much though!
Lemar
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic-fiction
Poe’s first published story had all the trippy, pulsing m, incipient horror lurking under the ostensibly placid surface.
Ashley Marie
Sep 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
What happened in this story I’ll never know..not my favorite.
Roberto Mattos
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
The story, told from an unnamed third-person narrator, takes place in Hungary at an unspecified date. The opening passages describe a centuries-long rivalry between two wealthy families: the Metzengersteins and the Berlifitzings. The bitter enmity between the two families is so old that no one knows how far back it dates. The narrator states that its origin appears to rely on an "ancient" prophecy: "A lofty name shall have a fearful fall when, as the rider over his horse, the mortality of ...more
Rick West
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Metzengerstein was the first short story by Edgar Allan Poe to be printed. It was first published in the Philadelphia's Saturday Courier magazine, in 1832. The story is told by a third-person narrator and takes place in Hungary at an unspecified date. The opening passages describe a centuries-long rivalry between two wealthy families: the Metzengersteins and the Berlifitzings.
The story follows Frederick Metzengerstein, who was orphaned at a young age and inherited the family fortune at age 18.
Jason
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Poe completists
Recommended to Jason by: Poe collection
(view spoiler), ZZZZZZZZZ... But this is Poe, so of course there was a ton of stuff I missed. But if I need things explained to me in order to get any semblance of enjoyment out of a story, then you've lost me. Or maybe I should've waited until I was more awake to read this. I don't know.

Tired thoughts as I read which really don't have all that much (if anything) to do with this story (it's past my bedtime):

Wow, this is heavier prose than
Michael Kelley
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When it comes to the very well-known (these days, at least) author, Edgar Allan Poe, most readers tend to become familiar with his name through such works as "The Tale-Tell Heart" or "The Raven". I, of course, am one of those very many. I was originally introduced to this author in my middle school English courses. I actually read quite a bit of his work, just to see if he really was the horror writer I had heard him deemed. Let me simply say that Edgar Allan Poe is much more than that.

This very
Caitlyn
Aug 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: edgar-allan-poe
The first in a long line of short stories by Edgar Allan Poe, "Metzengerstein" embodies several of the themes that the mysterious, brilliant, and somewhat disturbed author is famous for. In just a few pages, Poe manages to frighten the reader with startling images of animated statues, devilish horses, and rampaging fires that are almost certainly alive. Despite such terrifying images, it is the subtle hints at the potential atrocities of human behavior that leave the reader feeling truly ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Terrible Old Man
  • Facts Concerning The Late Arthur Jermyn and his Family
  • The White Ship
  • Beyond the Wall of Sleep
“These repeated insults were not to be endured by an imperious nobility. Such invitations became less cordial—less frequent—in time they ceased altogether. The widow of the unfortunate Count Berlifitzing was even heard to express a hope "that the Baron might be at home when he did not wish to be at home, since he disdained the company of his equals; and ride when he did not wish to ride, since he preferred the society of a horse." This to be sure was a very silly explosion of hereditary pique; and merely proved how singularly unmeaning our sayings are apt to become, when we desire to be unusually energetic.” 1 likes