Start by marking “Death Of An Obnoxious Tourist (Dotsy Lamb, #1)” as Want to Read:
Death Of An Obnoxious Tourist (Dotsy Lamb, #1)

Death Of An Obnoxious Tourist

(Dotsy Lamb #1)

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  282 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Dotsy Lamb and her friend Lettie are on a group tour of Italy when an obnoxious woman, travelling with her two younger sisters, is murdered in her Florence hotel room. They team up with Marco Quattrocchi, the captain in charge of the investigation, to solve the crime.
Published October 31st 2006 by Five Star (ME) (first published June 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Death Of An Obnoxious Tourist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Of An Obnoxious Tourist

Ellie
Death Of An Obnoxious Tourist by Maria Hudgins is the first in a series of cozy mysteries featuring Dotsy Lamb, who, despite her name is a calm professor of archeology on a group tour of Italy. There are 3 sisters (Meg, Amy, and Beth-and, yes, they have a brother Joe) on the trip as well-and one (the most predictable one) is killed in a particularly messy way.

Dotsy is a woman in her fifties but still very much a woman and she is drawn to the Italian detective investigating the case. The characte
Chris
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: italy, mystery-light
I picked this debut book up, written by a local author, at a book fair many years ago in the and finally took it off my shelf for some light reading. A traditional murder mystery in the cozy genre.
Dotsy Lamb is part of a tourist group exploring Italy when one of the group is found murdered. She noses around and finds many in the group seem to have secrets but did any of them commit murder, or was it truly the Roma that was arrested for the crime? Started out fairly stale and plodded along for qu
Liese Sherwood-Fabre
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dotsy Lamb's tour of Italy takes a very nasty turn when one woman in her group is found murdered in her hotel room shortly after the trip begins. For most, she would not be missed. Her barbs, complaints, and down-right meanness had not endeared her to any in the group--especially the sister who shared a room with her. But Dotsy is certain the Carabinieri are on the wrong track as they arrest and then release more than suspect.

Ms. Hudgins provides a delightful who-dun-it with an Italian flare. Ha
Alicia Taylor
Nov 15, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandon
This book is very hard to get into. Way too many characters to remember and understand. Too much effort was put into the crappy characters and not enough on the element of surprise. I can't even finish reading this.
Julie P
Mar 08, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a cute little book - kind of confusing until you get the characters all straightened out. I did like the heroine, and I would be interested in reading more of this series. Not bad for a free Kindle book, especially if it wants me to read more.
Lori Z
This was a fun, light read. I really liked Dotsy and her sidekick, Lettie. I also enjoyed my armchair tour of Italy, but wish there would have been more details. Overall, I liked the book and will be reading more in this series.
Italo Italophiles
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a traditional cozy murder mystery set in Italy. You will be reminded of Agatha Christie's murder mysteries set among tourists in foreign lands, and of the more recent British television series Rosemary & Thyme about two mature women dealing with dead bodies as they landscape their way through the English countryside.

We quickly meet our protagonist, the first-person narrator, Dotsy, a mature American woman, in the airport arrivals area in Milan. The group moves to Verona then Venice a
Lauren
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it
For starters, the only reason I initially picked up this book was because the cover looked pretty cool (it's not the one pictured above. There was a gargoyle in a fountain). After reading the back though, I figured I'd give it a shot.

I didn't really find myself left guessing as to who the murder could be, but then again, the characters that were killed were either not fully developed and not a huge part of the story, OR they were not likeable, so I didn't really care what happened to them. It is
Anne Beardsley
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
A history professor (who has only a passing interest in history, and is much more into gossip about the people in her tour group she just met) solves a murder mystery.

I...rather liked it. The main character was not pushy or always right, and the author was not in love with her main character (a fatal flaw). The mystery was fairly well crafted.

I felt that the details could have been brought out better: not only was there only a passing sense of being in Italy most of the book, there was little e
Mary  Mendoza
Feb 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: no-go
Reads like self-published tripe, starting with the main character described as an "ancient history professor," when of course it should be "professor of ancient history," unless the woman is a thousand years old.

Other complaints: its cast of characters rivals those in War and Peace and adds nothing to the story; the dialogue is trite and the abuse of action verbs off-putting.
Marty
May 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
. I enjoyed Hudgins’ DEATH ON THE AEGEAN QUEEN so ordered this book thinking it would be fun also. I was disappointed. This one has many more characters to keep straight –and none of the characters is really fleshed out well. I didn’t really care about any of them. The story starts when Dotsy and her friend Lettie arrive in Milano for a tour of Italy. They meet the tour director, Tessa and several other members of the tour. The tourists are a varied group including old college chums, a mother/da ...more
Julie
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nice little cozy mystery. I originally picked this up because of the price, but I enjoy the travel aspect, too. The main character, Dotsy Lamb, a junior college history professor, goes on vacation. Her friend, Lettie, goes with her. Then a horrible, unliked member of the tour is murdered. Their tour of Italy changes as the police search out the killer. Dotsy spends her time trying to figure it out, too. Nice little mystery with some travel tourist spots. Interestingly written and easy to read. W ...more
Jeanie Jackson
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy
This was an enjoyable story with good characters. I especially liked when the sidekick Letty said or did something really on point since she is usually too concrete to "get" things. This book has an old fashioned feel but that is okay for me. As in many cozy mysteries, there are a few too many red herrings, but Dotsy sees the potential in the true motive as well as the other possible motives almost from the beginning. I like when the heroine has enough sense to see the obvious from the clues tha ...more
Susan
Feb 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-europe
Friends Dotsy and Lettie are on a tour of Italy when one of the women with them is murdered. A hotel thief is the first suspect, but Dotsy, a history teacher and divorced mother of five, is not so sure. But if he is cleared, the next likely suspect is Lettie's good friend, the victim's sister. While many people found the dead woman obnoxious, it should take more than that to turn a normal person into a murderer. But when Dotsy turns from motive to opportunity, the problem is even harder. There m ...more
John
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dotsy works for me as an amateur sleuth, though the theme of being dumped by a spouse in middle age (another character suffers the same fate, only worse) is rather overdone. Also, I had trouble keeping track of the many characters on the tour, but that might've been easier reading the print edition. Connie Terwilliger did a good job with the narration, so I'm sorry that she doesn't read the rest of the series.
Kyrie
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I confess to choosing this book because of the similarity to MC Beaton's titles.

It was pretty good. There were a few too many characters, but it was easy to weed out the extraneous ones.

There was a bit of fun punning, some historical and touristy info, and fair amount about diabetics.

I'd read another one of Hudgins books if she writes one.
Rachel Cotterill
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love to travel even more than I love reading mysteries, so I was happy to discover the Dotsy Lamb series of travel mysteries - and even happier that the first one was free on Kindle. This book didn't disappoint. Although I guessed most of the solution, it was an enjoyable read, the lead character is likeable, and there are nice little touches of Italian backdrop throughout.
Kimberly
I enjoyed this book. there were lot of fun little elements to it.

I was happy to have the list of characters at the beginning of the book because there were quite a few to remember. I sometimes forgot who was married to whom and who was a friend to whom.

I will be reading more books from the series, which now consists of five books.
Gail DeLeon
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy the combination of travel and solving a mystery, pick up a Hudgins book. Details on locations are great! It's like hitting two birds with one stone. A mystery puzzle at an exotic location. Armchair travel with a twist. Why not?!
Sandra
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this mystery set in Italy. I like this author, the characters and the storyline, and trying to figure out "who dunnit" while learning about so many wonderful places in Italy. A nice cozy mystery!
Regan
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute cozy. I know, how can you say cute when someone dies? The scenes throughout Italy made me want to pack up and go and I didn't see the ending coming. Definitely have this author on my auto buy list.
Grace J Reviewerlady
One of my favourite genres, and this book did not disappoint. Well-written with good characterisation and storyline. I enjoyed the main character of Dotsy Lamb very much and look forward to reading more of this series. No complaints at all.
Josetta
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Pretty Good Mystery

I truly had no idea who dun it until the very end. While there were a few characters who really had no purpose and weren't so fleshed out, the ones that were developed added interest to the story. I'll definitely read the next one.
Pringle
Jan 29, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
The main character is annoying - she seems sort of stupid.
Contrived plot.
Silly, silly book.
I read the first half, skimmed some and then read the last chapter to see who the killer was.
I won't even remember reading this one.
Bhan13
Jul 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
I had seconds to run in to the library, get a book, and check it out before closing tonight. This book was on the end of the nearest shelf and was unfortunately the one I grabbed. It was so bad I didn't even get to the bottom of the first page.
Shirley
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-in-series
This is a charming listen. Connie Terwilliger did a great job!
Marty Mcintyre
Quick read. Great descriptions of Italy. Too many folks to keep track of so it was easy to lose the thread but she wrapped their stories up neatly in the end.
Sheri
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Can't wait to read the next one in the series!
Lizzytish
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mystery
It was ok, I think the author tried too hard and it kind of came across flat.
Constance
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Average, light reading.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Package Deal
  • Pumpkins in Paradise (Tj Jensen Paradise Lake Mystery #1)
  • Tea Is for Terror
  • The Case of the Hook-Billed Kites (Sarah Deane Mystery, #1)
  • Welcome to Fred (The Fred Books, #1)
  • Murder at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #1)
  • Dogs Don't Lie (Pru Marlowe, #1)
  • Murder in Store
  • Buzzkill (Betsy Livingston / Pecan Bayou #4)
  • Game, Set and Murder: A Mystery for D. I. Costello
  • With His Dying Breath (JJ Matthews Murder Mystery #1)
  • The Salton Killings (Chief Inspector Woodend, #1)
  • Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery #1)
  • Murder for Choir (Glee Club, #1)
  • Ghost a la Mode (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #1)
  • The Samurai Strategy
  • If You Can't Stand the Heat (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop, #1)
  • The Cart Before the Corpse
Maria is an avid traveler and mystery lover. She is a retired teacher living in Hampton, Virginia. She started writing fiction when she retired six years ago and now has two books in print.

Dotsy Lamb (5 books)
  • Death of a Lovable Geek (Dotsy Lamb, #2)
  • Death on the Aegean Queen (Dotsy Lamb, #3)
  • Death of a Second Wife (Dotsy Lamb, #4)
  • Death in an Ivory Tower (Dotsy Lamb, #5)
“The historian in me love to uncover things, and the mother in me hates to be lied to...[Why Dotsy investigates murder]” 0 likes
“The years pass so quickly now that I can't keep my mental image of myself up to date. [Mature Dotsy deals with her age]” 0 likes