Start by marking “The Doomsday Ultimatum” as Want to Read:
The Doomsday Ultimatum

The Doomsday Ultimatum

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
It is the mid-1970s. A group of disaffected politicians,businessmen, and servicemen -- fiercely patriotic men and women with the right skills and ambitions -- plan and execute a bizarre operation to stop Britain sliding into what they see as anarchy.

They seize a nuclear power station as a means of holding the government to ransom. The twist ending comes as a complete surpr
Published June 6th 1991 by Mandarin (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Doomsday Ultimatum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doomsday Ultimatum

Henri Moreaux
Written in 1976 this novel could quite easily be portraying the near future of Britain - high unemployment, poverty, poorly functioning government, depressed economy.

From this base a group of four decide to take a nuclear power station hostage and force the government to pass legislation to improve the plight of the country.

At 280 pages it's not particularly long, but is a good tale with nice development and a good ending.
Sean Randall
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
"You saw that maniac. We've got to go along with him otherwise he destroys the country. It's as plain and as simple and as stark as that. We've no choice."

The outspoken Welshman is right about having no choice, of course, but quite wrong about the maniac.

"We have a hung parliament of weakness and mediocrity that lacks the drive, initiative, and courage to tackle the country's problems with zeal and determination."

In this crackingly-paced yarn the future does indeed seem very bleak for Britain. T
Tara
Dec 07, 2008 is currently reading it
Shelves: crime, i-own
I bought this book because it was $2 and I do enjoy a good James Follett book (especially The Temple of the Winds Trilogy and Second Atlantis), but I am having some serious trouble getting through The Doomsday Ultimatum. The characters all seem to be blending together, and it's not really holding my attention. I'm hoping it will get better once the Parliament actually responds to the demands (I've only just gotten into the Parliamentary meeting).

I suppose it would help if I didn't keep getting d
Lysergius
chris chapman
Jun 15, 2017
Martin Sloane
Jan 12, 2016
James Follett (not "Follet") is an author and screenwriter, born in 1939 in Tolworth, England.

Follett became a full-time fiction writer in 1976, after resigning from contract work as a technical writer for the British Ministry of Defence. He has since written over 20 novels, several television plays, and many radio dramas. He is one of the 400 most popular British authors, measured by the numbers