Start by marking “The Tiger Who Came to Tea” as Want to Read:
The Tiger Who Came to Tea

The Tiger Who Came to Tea

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  12,133 Ratings  ·  410 Reviews
The doorbell rings just as Sophie and her mummy are sitting down to tea. Who could it possibly be? What they certainly don't expect to see at the door is a big furry, stripy tiger!
Paperback, 50th anniv. ed., 32 pages
Published February 6th 2006 by Harpercollins Childs (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Tiger Who Came to Tea, please sign up.
Dharma NO it is a very good book but it is not a fable

Jan-Maat
I learnt important life lessons from this book:
*Don't try to drink all the water from the tap
*Drinking tea from the pot via the spout gets you a mouth full of tea leaves
*A single tin of tiger food will fill you up as much as an entire household full of food

The story is a simple one - what happens when a tiger comes to tea (tea here in the British English sense of a post-midday meal eaten with tea, the content and actual time of the meal correlating with social class and location). The situation
Bionic Jean
The Tiger Who Came to Tea is a picture story book for very young children. It was first published in 1968, but is one of those books which appeals to generation after generation. I remember children in the 1970s loving it, and it is just as popular today.

It is all about a little girl called Sophie, her mummy, and a tiger, all of whom have tea together. (Of course it is. What did you expect? The title told you that is exactly what it would be.)

The story starts with a ring at the door, interrupti
N
Sep 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The British are so nonchalant. A tiger comes in and eats and drinks everything in the house. No worries, we'll just go out to eat tonight.
·Karen·
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Why is it that a lot of our favourite children's books have to do with food?
This one is particularly nostalgic for me, as it is the story I used to calm down a two year old who had fallen off the top bunk, thus needing an x-ray to see if any bones were broken. A normal examination was impossible as she started to scream every time the doctor came near her, so there we were, me and a doctor, both in lead aprons, trying to hold down a wriggling screeching refusenik so that her nice photo would co
Lisa Vegan
I loved this story and, as a child, would have been utterly delighted reading this/having this read to me.

It says it was published first in 1968. It feels more 1950s to me. From the words within, I do believe it was probably first published in England.

I’ve always loved tigers, though as an adult not in zoos or other entertainment parks, and so even this very “un-tigerlike” tiger appealed to me. The story is very funny and entertaining, and fun to read aloud.

The illustrations are equally amusing
Liam
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this when babysitting and it was just really lighthearted and fun!
Miriam
Mar 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miriam by: Suzy Boyd of the Financial Times
Shelves: picture
Should a tiger come to tea,
it is scarce a tragedy.
Give him buns
two or three --
or ten --
and should he come again
we'll resupply with grub.
But first -- let's to the pub.
midnightfaerie
This was a cute story about how a tiger comes to tea and eats and drinks everything in the house. The kids, both my 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds were engaged enough to follow the story, but never really showed any interest in the outcome. Not even the tiger they really cared what happened to, and I think it was because the ending fell a little flat, even I was wondering what the point of the book was. After the tiger eats and drinks everything, it leaves and the family is left wondering what they ...more
Mathew
Yes, I know 'why hadn't I read this before?' I think I did when I was very young but revisiting again brought up the oddness of the whole book and the visit of the tiger. I can understand why adult readers see the tiger as a representation of Nazis visiting the Kerr's home - its unquestionable authority and power and it feeds on the family's stock of food has a sense of ever-present danger. Although mother and daughter never seem worried about the visit or the tiger itself, its size and mention ...more
Thomas Edmund
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my God. This Story. I can't work it out, is the tiger a fabrication between the mother and daughter, an excuse for eating the entire contents of the house and not leaving an for Dad? Except mother looks genuinely stressed by the events while Sophie seems to have an unhealthy bond with this tiger. IS this really a tale about child possession? Father has a very long suffering look about him when he returns and he seems to be selling his idea of eating out a little much.

Or worse, is the tiger re
J. Boo
A dual garage sale was held by a pair of neighbors with older children, a need to declutter, and excellent taste in books - multiple titles that I vaguely recognized from friends' lists.

Anyway, this is a cute story of a tiger who came unexpectedly to tea, and ate everything. After it was read to her, DD (age 3), demanded an immediate reread, and then a third just before naptime. I had fun, too.
ABC
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-kids
Is it bad that I kept expecting the tiger to eat the little girl next?
Simona
🐯 Rating: 5+/5 || Recenzia pe Secretele Cărților

carte tigrul care a venit la ceai judith kerr editura pandoram

Când îți bate un tigru la ușă...
Oare de câte ori în viață ne putem trezi cu un tigru la ușă? Probabil că de cele mai multe ori, niciodată (vom lăsa loc și excepțiilor). De bună voie și nesilit de nimeni, nu prea cred că vei vedea un tigru cum apare din senin la ușa ta și dorește să bea un ceai alături de tine.

Acest lucru însă li s-a întâmplat însă tinerei Sophie și mamei ei: s-au trezit pe nepusă masă cu un tigru imens la ușă! Și nu orice tigru ci
Angela
For my first book review I have chosen The Tiger Who Came to Tea by Judith Kerr. This is a story I have read many times for my nephews and for the boy whom I child mind for and they love it.
It is a classic tale written over forty years ago which tells the story of Sophie and her mum who sit down to have tea one afternoon, when there is a knock at the door, and they have an unexpected visit from a tiger. They allow the tiger to come in and have tea with them as if there is nothing unusual about
Shirley Revill
A classic much loved story about a tiger that came to tea and ate everything in the house.
Really entertaining story for the younger children and I enjoyed reading this book as well.
Recommended.
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star
A classic children's book from the author of Mog the Forgetful Cat. Beautifully illustrated, and a very amusing storyline about a friendly tiger who comes to tea one night and eats the family out of house and home. My son enjoyed looking at this book tonight; I'm sure it will be a lifelong favourite of his.
Dolly
Oct 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens
This is an entertaining story about a tiger who acts most decidedly improper at tea time. The narrative is short and silly and the illustrations scream of an older time.

I do not remember reading this book when I was a child, but it seems to be a tale that has remained popular over the years. We enjoyed reading it together.
Emily
This one may eventually be moved off the "can't read to Tommy" shelf. The problem here was that the tiger eats all their food. That wasn't right! I cautiously tried it again last month, and we took it a little more stoically.
Sarah Sammis
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Tiger Who Came to Tea by Judith Kerr was published in 1968 and was recently turned into a stage play in London. Children's books as theater seems to be having a renaissance of sorts. My inner child is feeling miffed at missing the show.

A mother and daughter sit down to tea (a most wonderful excuse for a mid afternoon snack) when the doorbell unexpectedly rings. The daughter asks who it could be but all the mother can say is that it won't be daddy because he has a key. Upon opening the door t
Nwakaego Dee
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is my daughters favourite bedtime story. It is about a young girl who is having tea with her mother and then the door bell rings. Standing at the door is a tiger. They invite the tiger to join them for tea, only for the tiger to eat all the food and drink all the drinks in the house,leaving nothing for her daddy when he returns home.

This book is very well illustrated, my daughter always gets captivated by how big the tiger is. It gives a strong example of sharing. The young girl did n
Indrani Sen
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
A sweeet lovely book for children. My niece is enjoying it very much with daily repeated reads. Even I (much grown-up) loved the sweet innocent story. The illustrations are very very nice.
Judith Johnson
Am a big fan of Judith Kerr. I’ve been re=reading this with my grand=daughter, and find it perfectly pitched for a toddler. Plus I love the look of Sophie’s house!
Carina
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'The Tiger who came to Tea' by Judith Kerr is one of my favourite children's stories. It tells the story of a tiger who knocks on Sophie's door one day and invites himself to tea. One of the aspects of the story that I like is how this astonishing event is told in a very ordinary, matter-of-fact way. Whilst at Sophie's house the tiger eats and drinks everything in sight, the family seem mildly surprised by this but once the tiger has politely taken his leave decide to go out for tea.

Despite the
Nicole
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant short story which is based on a girl called sophie who is interrupted by a tiger whilst she is having tea with her mother. When sophie and her mother hear a knock at the door they wonder who it might be. They consider that it might be the milkman, the boy from the grocer and even her father. However because these people have visited already and her father has gone to work they open the door cautiously. When her mother opens the door she discovers that there is a very hungry t ...more
Anjumanara
A must read, as it is about an unexpected visit by an unexpected visitor- the tiger, who is invited in by a little girl named Sophie and her mother. However, to their astonishment they find that their guest is eating his way through everything in the kitchen until their is nothing left for them to eat...and then drank everything in the house including the tap water to the point where Sophie is unable to have a bath!! But they need not despair as daddy comes to the rescue and makes everything bet ...more
Emma
At 25 months my child loves this. It's ridiculously old fashioned/dated, but still timeless. I'm willing to overlook the dated gender roles in favour of the great stuff in this one, that is; the tiger is huge! as he should be; Sophie *loves* the tiger, he's eating up everything and should be pretty scary but she's ecstatically rubbing his soft soft fur on her cheek (very cute!); they go out to a cafe in Sophie's nightie - this makes me feel very nostalgic, but I love how they just cope with the ...more
Sophie Freeman
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ks1
Easy, fun and simple to read, therefore good for younger children starting to read a story more for themselves.

The idea of coming to tea can be replicated in their game playing. Beautifully illustrated and a lovely message for inclusion and gratitude.

Excellent for reception children who are learning lots through role play, learning about animals and beginning to read a story more for themselves rather than being read to.
Grace Gayer
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This classic early years story book has fantastic illustrations along with a quirky story line. It is loves within the early years however it could be easily adapted for older children...providing some problem solving discussions!
Penny
Jan 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-mg
Read 18/01/17
Karyn
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
So cute! Reminds me of the series of "If You Give". Always have loved this author and was so excited to read this. Loved every part of it from the story to the illustrations!
UEL Primary PGCE ...: The Tiger Who Came To Tea 1 10 Aug 19, 2014 12:34PM
  • Peace At Last
  • Father Christmas
  • Handa's Surprise: Read and Share
  • Gorilla
Judith Kerr is a German-born British writer and illustrator who has created both enduring picture books such as the Mog series and The Tiger Who Came To Tea and acclaimed novels for older children such as the autobiographical When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit which give a child's-eye view of the Second World War.

Kerr was born in Berlin but left Germany with her parents and her brother, Michael, in 193