Start by marking “Laura Werlins Cheese Essentials: An Insider's Guide to Buying and Serving Cheese (with 50 Recipes)” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Easily accessible information in guidebook format
Includes 50 recipes, for appetizers to desserts, highlighting each of the 8 styles of cheese
Features a chapter on entertaining with cheese
Whether shopping at gourmet markets or at Costco, American consumers are seeing a growing, even dizzying, array of new cheeses. But as the number of cheeses has grown, so has the intimida
Published October 1st 2007 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Laura Werlins Cheese Essentials, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Laura Werlins Cheese Essentials

שולמית
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great accessible intro to cheese for anyone who wants to know more but is intimidated at the cheese shop. As a cheesemonger, this was a great resource for how to present cheese in an accessible way to people who like it but don't know Humboldt Fog from Valençay (she'll teach you the difference!) If I were getting into cheese culture for the first time, this would be the book I'd bring with me to the cheese shop.
Deane Barker
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was okay as a celebration of cheese, but I'm not sure of it's practical value.

It did drive home the different types of cheese to me -- she profiles eight types, from washed-rind to semi-soft to blue, and she presents all sorts of information to characterize them. But like any book about food, she spends a lot of time trying to characterize flavors in writing, and it just doesn't quite work.

Additionally, she spends quite a bit of time on different brands of cheese, the sheer number of w
Shelley
Jun 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
For those looking for a "dumbed" down cheese book this is for you. A great step by step sort of instrution book to teach you how to learn about cheeses. Has a great many cheese discriptions and recipes as well. Ever wonder how to decide how to choose a single cheese from a shop filled with 300 or more cheeses? This make the whole experience fun and wayyyy less intimidating for anyone.
Also, the pretension that usually goes hand in hand with a typical cheese book is gone, gone, gone for this one.
Charise D.
Mar 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
If you're looking for a really good primer on cheese, this book will teach you what you need to know to find your way around a cheese counter. Laura Werlin divvies cheeses up into eight basic styles, and even though these styles are her personal invention (as opposed to an official classification method) they will get you up to speed so that you can feel confident as you step out of your comfort zone. I think even more experienced cheese lovers could benefit from Laura Werlin's classification st ...more
Stephanie
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was ok
More of a skimming book, but LOTS of good info (and pics, yum). And funny enough, as I'm reading, I'm discovering, HEY! I did that (in cheese class last week), or HEY! That's what cheese class guy was talking about :) It even has tasks! It's like the Cheese Artist's Way (see my glowing review for that har har)... I'M DONE NOW: A good easy read, lots of good info on cheese in an easy to understand and easy to remember kinda way.
Janel C.
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Daunted in the cheese section? I learned so much reading this book! I already knew which basic cheeses I liked and which I didn't, but Werlin's accessible definitions, descriptions, and groupings made shopping for cheeses so much easier. Definitely recommend.
Jen Dent
Oct 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: curd nerds, people who want to expand their palate.
Shelves: food
Very good primer to help people navigate their preferences for taste. Good mixture of both domestic and imported options. Great food photography. I also like the integration of the recipes in each section instead of having everything lumped at the end.
Stephanie
Mar 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cheese
Great recipes, great information. Actual useful information at that. Accessible and enjoyable writing.
Lynne
Feb 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-cooking
I liked the "take-home" test sections of this book. I want to get some friends together and set up a few of these comparisons!
Mariah Christensen
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Read June 2008

Read again February 2014
Monya
Jan 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
an educational lesson in cheese that is enjoyable and fun. she gives great tasting advice that i'm excited to try.
Nathan
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I like cheese.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a book written by someone well known in the world of farmstead American cheeses
Tama
Jun 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Great info about my all too beloved friend, CHEESE.. Really well done book that covers lots of ground and leaves you ready to go forth and explore (its) deliciousness! Bon appetit'...
Karen leon
Jan 09, 2008 is currently reading it
cheese is gnarly
Shannon
Apr 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Because I love cheese. My dream is to eat cheese all day and not care at all how fat it makes me. Then I would add chocolate, and my life would be complete.
AndreaZ
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book made me want to have lots of cheese-tasting parties. She includes a few recipes for each type of cheese, and has great guides to create your own tastings replete with wine pairings.
Logan Class
Sep 21, 2013
Natalie
rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2011
Laura Werlin is a highly respected authority on cheese. As the author of four books on the subject, each of which have been honored with an award, including a James Beard, IACP, and the World Gourmand Award for Best Cheese Book for her classic, Great Grilled Cheese, Werlin is frequently invited to lead professionaland consumer-level seminars and classes at events, including the prestigious Food &a ...more