Start by marking “To See and See Again: A Life in Iran and America” as Want to Read:
To See and See Again: A Life in Iran and America

To See and See Again: A Life in Iran and America

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  175 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
A compelling and intimate exploration of the complexity of a bicultural immigrant experience, To See and See Again traces three generations of an Iranian (and Iranian-American) family undergoing a century of change--from the author's grandfather, a feudal lord with two wives; to her father, a freespirited architect who marries an American pop singer; to Bahrampour herself, ...more
Published August 29th 2000 by University of California Press (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about To See and See Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To See and See Again

S
Mar 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Written by a woman that I went to high school with at Palo Alto High School. Funny that during high school, neither of us really talked or connected about the fact that we shared this Iranian history but I just figured that she was another Iranian that was born here and was not in touch with her Iranian roots the way I was having grown up there. Well written and interesting how she seeks to connect to her roots and culture similar to the journey that I took right out of college.
Zohra Star
May 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I love Tara! The book is a great way to demystify the "Not Without My Daughter" type work out there. Its the story of an Iranian man married to an American mother through the eyes of their beautiful daughter. Tara also writes for the Washington Post is a pretty kick ass woman.
Sue
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting story of life in both Iran and the US - good sense of what it means to be part of a large Iranian family - felt a bit like the family from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Worth the read.
Dec 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Just before I turned twelve, my family drove to Oregon to outrun the spring. Every time it looked like we were going to stay in one town, the weather would warm up and my father would pluck us out of the life we were considering and swing us back north on the highway. I think that deep down he believed that acknowledging the change of seasons would mean admitting we were in America to stay.

Tara's father is Iranian and her mother is American. As a child, she lives in the U.S. for a time and then
Katie
Apr 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
i love memoirs that provide insight into historical events. and i particularly loved this one because it was so honest and never resorted to political rhetoric or really taking sides. the author simply described her experiences living as a child under the rule of the shah, fleeing to the united states right before the revolution, and returning to post-revolutionary iran as an adult. her insights were so honest and all of her thoughts about the good and bad that came from the revolution really ca ...more
Keleigh
May 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: schooldaze
This memoir is a combination of delighted recognition at the likeness of humans across time and space, and a sense of bittersweet comfort that, indeed, we all inevitably return to our beginnings, revisiting the same themes and patterns throughout our lives until only the simplest threads remain.

Bahrampour does a remarkable job communicating the universal through the personal. Her scope is both grand and minute: a revolution through the experience of one family, enveloping two complex places and
Becky
I decided to read this book as part of my 2015 reading challenge. It is literally "A Book at the Bottom of My To-Read List." I opened my Goodreads "to read" shelf and picked the book that had been there the longest.

This memoir tells the author's story of growing up in both Iran and the United States. Her father is Iranian and her mother is American so she wrote a lot about the struggles of never fully belonging either place, but each culture forming her identity. She also lived in Iran in the b
Jeff Learned
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, 2015
This is basically one woman's account of her feelings about being a half american/half Iranian. It spans her immediate family's history in Iran and America, as well as her extended family's history in Iran. The writer lived in Iran as a young girl, then moved with her family to america, then returned to Iran as a young adult.

There were brief pockets of interesting information, but the book was so detailed about her day to day life from childhood to adulthood that it was ploddingly slow. It also
Zachary
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
it must have been terrifying to just have to leave your country for a strange country. And yet trying to deny the fact that you are stuck there possibly forever. i don't think i could of done that when i was twelve. however much i would of liked the traveling bit there would still be the fact that you could never go home again. and on top of that is the fact that her parents seem to be freaking out also and moving around to trying to deny something must have been crushing. The strong people who ...more
Michelle
May 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, thoughtful and poignant memoir of a young half-Iranian, half-American book. Bahrampour lived first in America, then several years in Iran, leaving in 1979, then returning sixteen years later for a visit and for reflection on her place--does she belong in Iran or America? Or neither place? She loves the family-centeredness, the rootedness of life in Iran, but is less sure about Islamic rules for women. She loves the freedom of America, but knows she is missing something her relatives t ...more
Kristen Dunder
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, beautiful account of a young woman born to an Iranian father and American mother, who lives part of her life in both Iran and the US. Both countries, at different times, have felt to her like home and at others like a strange land, as in both her family feels welcome at times, and outsiders at others. This is a personal account of the Iranian Revolution, in which change in the country's leadership determined a dramatic shift in an entire culture and way of life.
Grace
Jul 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing

I have not read " Reading Lolita in Tehran" but I do know that Ms. Bahrampour writes a beautiful authentic story. I read it first and passed it onto my friend who lived his first 18 years in Iran. He said it is what life is like there.

This book does not focus on the oppression of women but of the beauty of the culture. It also paints a clear picture of what it is like for those who immigrate to the US.
Grace
Joanne Sperans
Aug 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Joanne by: Karen Alexander
This was written by a friend's daughter. With an Iranian father and an American mother, she grew up in both countries. When the Shah fell, her family had to leave Iran and the idyllic childhood she had led there. Years later she went back as a young woman, and the story of her discoveries is beautiful and fascinating.
Virginia
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful memoir!!! Tara Bahrampour takes the reader into a unique world where her cultural lines aren't the only ones that begin to blur. The joys and trials of childhood and teenage angst, love and fear, family & destiny all play out against a cultural fabric so rich and colorful, that the reader is left feeling nothing less than blessed to have taken the journey.
Liza Rosenberg
Mar 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I love Tara Bahrampour's account of moving between the two societies. She's around my age, so all the American pop culture references resonate with me, and I've developed a great affinity for Persian culture since my husband is Persian. Her writing is excellent, and her attention to detail allows you to clearly envision the settings she describes.
Paria
Oct 23, 2007 rated it liked it
Lesser-known, but very, very good, memoir by an Iranian American woman. I read it in college, and saw a lot of myself in it, so I'm probably a bit biased. But I think this would be enjoyable even if you weren't an Iranian girl!
Donovan
Jun 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Met the author - wonderful book
Yesha
Aug 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Hands down the favorit book I was ever assigned to read for a class.

Thanks, Elmaz!
Mariam
Jul 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Of all the books written by the Iranian diaspora, this one is probably my favorite. (Well, this and Funny in Farsi.)
teresa
Apr 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
This is my favorite book. The imagery puts you in the time and place, and made me nostalgic for another time and place.
Ponta
Feb 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
If you are interested in Persian Culture.
Rhode
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I have always loved the confluence of cultures you get as a first generation immigrant to another country.
Linda
Apr 06, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Journey from the Land of No: A Girlhood Caught in Revolutionary Iran
  • Saffron Sky: A Life between Iran and America
  • Neither East Nor West: One Woman's Journey Through the Islamic Republic of Iran
  • Even After All This Time: A Story of Love, Revolution, and Leaving Iran
  • Searching for Hassan: A Journey to the Heart of Iran
  • Persian Mirrors: The Elusive Face of Iran
  • The Soul of Iran: A Nation's Struggle for Freedom
  • My Sister, Guard Your Veil; My Brother, Guard Your Eyes: Uncensored Iranian Voices
  • Women with Mustaches and Men without Beards: Gender and Sexual Anxieties of Iranian Modernity
  • Jasmine and Stars: Reading More Than Lolita in Tehran
  • Cry of the Peacock
  • In the Rose Garden of the Martyrs: A Memoir of Iran
  • The Alley of Love and Yellow Jasmines
  • My Prison, My Home: One Woman's Story of Captivity in Iran
  • Strange Times, My Dear: The PEN Anthology of Contemporary Iranian Literature
  • Daughter of Persia: A Woman's Journey from Her Father's Harem Through the Islamic Revolution
  • My Name Is Iran