Start by marking “Phaedra's Love” as Want to Read:
Phaedra's Love

Phaedra's Love

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  937 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
First single volume edition of this bold version of a classic by Sarah Kane

Sarah Kane's radical reworking of Seneca's classical tragedy of incest and unrequited lust. Phaedra's Love is a bold and provocative revisioning of the story of Phaedra's obsessive and destructive love of her son Hippolytus and his violent punishment by Theseus.
Published January 24th 2002 by Bloomsbury Methuen Drama (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Phaedra's Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phaedra's Love

Raha
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: play
هیپولیتوس به کشیش می گوید
می دانم چه کسی هستم و همیشه چه خواهم بود....اما شما گناه می کنید و می دانید که اعتراف خواهید کرد .بعد بخشیده می شوید و بعد دوباره همه چیز را از اول شروع می کنید. چگونه خدایی چنین قدرتمند را به سخره می گیرید؟!...مگر واقعا باوری به چنین خداوندگاری نداشته باشید
Dunya Buzidi
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: سارة-كين
لا أدري إنْ كنتُ أحببتُ هذه المسرحية أم لا !.
Momina Masood
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: brit-lit, plays
Weird how I totally identified with Hippolytus.
Yousra
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Kane, you're really insane!
Chelsea
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, plays
Woman 2 cuts off his genitals.
They are thrown onto the barbecue.
The children cheer.
Tamara
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 20thc, plays
Hilarious, messed-up. What does it mean that I loved Hippolytus?
Driss Ayadi
Well at least it's short
Ruby
Apr 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: play, y2011
Sex, murder, death, lies, truth, rape, suicide, church, prison, love, hate, family, royalty. All that in forty pages and I feel slightly overwhelmed.
Sofia
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
I guess it's sort of like Simenon's Dirty Snow with a mythological component. Not sure it sends the best message, though.
Lukas Woodyard
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is such an interesting, angsty version of the Phaedra story....I kind of want to read any academics paper on this play. Kane says some profound things during the confession scene between Hippolytus and the Priest. I feel like Kane clearly stated my religious beliefs regarding sin and such. It was such a quick read too.
Becky Jones
Jan 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015
Renarde
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I can't say what exactly made me like this play so much, but I really enjoyed it. Perhaps it was the lack of censorship, perhaps the honesty, perhaps the characters...

When I finished reading it, I felt like I was suddenly missing something. It was almost a hollowness in my chest. I felt sad for the people in the play- moreover, I felt sad for the world. Because things like this do happen. People die. People misinterpret words and feelings. People lie. People love, or don't love.

Yet again, Kane h
Shay
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Disgusting, but of course that's the point. Fascinating update on Seneca's play- with Kane focusing on these doomed characters, and how they ruin and spoil everything they touch.

(TW rape/violence)
Jordy
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely ineffable. People oversimplify this far too much. This is not about shock value or exaggeration; this is pure, raw normalcy. And it feels awful because you all know it's true.
Despoina
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
George R. R. Martin's got nothing on Sarah Kane! Hilariously disturbing.
Cristina
Nov 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: plays
Courteney Fisher
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this modern re-telling and how it wasn't solely focused on Phaedra. I felt really sorry for Strophe. Kinda reminded me that there are men like Hippolytus, in that they are truely horrible yet people are drawn to them.
Linda
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Relativt lättläst denna också, men gick så himla snabbt i vändningarna i slutet. Vissa saker kändes lite löjliga, möjligtvis att slutet drev med de antika verken lite. Hela pjäsen var kanske ett sätt att driva med de gamla verken på något sätt.
جودي
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Marie
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Have you ever thought, thought your heart would break?
k.
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
kane, my favourite...
anca
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uni-books
what an absolute mindfuck, i loved it
Graciela Diaz Cuervo
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Dios no puede hacerme bueno. (...) La libre voluntad es lo que nos distingue de los animales"
Esteban
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good ol' bit of the old ultra-violence
Mariam
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
-Have you ever thought, thought your heart
would break?
—No.
-Wished you could cut open your chest tear it out
to stop the pain?
—That would kill you
-This is killing me
—No. Just feels like it.
-A spear in my side, burning.
Michael A.
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this adaptation of Phaedra. Sort of a cynical, sarcastic, contemporary update while still retaining the bloodshed of ancient Greek theater
  • Far Away
  • Uncommon Women and Others
  • subUrbia
  • Frankie and Johnny in the Claire de Lune
  • 365 Days/365 Plays
  • Passion Play (TCG Edition)
  • Fefu and Her Friends
  • The Beauty Queen of Leenane
Sarah Kane was an English playwright. Her plays deal with themes of redemptive love, sexual desire, pain, torture—both physical and psychological—and death. They are characterised by a poetic intensity, pared-down language, exploration of theatrical form, and, in her earlier work, the use of stylized violent stage action. Kane's life was brought to a premature end when she committed suicide at Lon ...more
“Phaedra: I wanted to see your face when you came.
Hippolytus: Why?
Phaedra: I'd like to see you lose yourself.
Hippolytus: It's not a pleasant sight.
Phaedra: Why, what do you look like?
Hippolytus: Every other stupid fucker.”
8 likes
“Hippolytus: Do you believe in God?
Priest: (Looks at him.)
Hippolytus: I know what I am. And always will be. But you. You sin knowing you'll confess. Then you're forgiven. And then you start all over again.
How do you dare mock a God so powerful? Unless you don't really believe.
Priest: This is your confession, not mine.
Hippolytus: Then why are you on your knees? God certainly is merciful. If I were him I'd despise you. I'd wipe you off the face of the earth for your dishonesty.
Priest: You're not God.
Hippolytus: No. A prince. God on earth. But not God. Fortunate for all concerned. I'd not allow you to sin knowing you'd confess and get away with it.
Priest: Heaven would be empty.
Hippolytus: A kingdom of honest men, honestly sinning. And death for those who try to cover their arse.”
6 likes