Start by marking “Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)

Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch

(Encyclopedia Brown #2)

A cross-eyed baseball pitch...

A missing penknife named Excalibur...

Poems that pack a punch...

A kid-lover tumed kidnapper...

And some tall tales that come up short!

These are just some of the ten brain-twisting mysteries that Encyclopedia Brown must solve by using his famous computerlike brain. Try to crack the cases along with him--the answers to all the mysteries are found
Published April 17th 2000 by Yearling (first published 1965)

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch

Start your review of Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)
Matt
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Neo and I finished another collection of Encyclopedia Brown mysteries, perfect to read together. These stories span a period of time when the Boy Detective is both in Idaville and on vacation with his family in Texas. Encyclopedia is able to help his father crack some cases, including a bank robbery in town and a lost bet for a violin, as well as some solo work with a pocketknife and a missing bike. Encyclopedia also dismisses some Western folklore and makes a tour guide look like quite the fool ...more
MsAprilVincent
I'm reading this aloud to my freshman.

[gushy love song follows:]

"Time to practice your deductive reasoning skills," I announce, and they all sit up straight, close their mouths, and fix their eyes on me.

It's the only time during the period when I don't have to wait for silence, the only time I don't have to remind them to be civil, the only time I've got every single student focusing on the same objective.

NOBODY sleeps through Encyclopedia Brown. Nobody interrupts, nobody stares out the window,
Neo
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-me
My dad and I finished another collection of Encyclopedia Brown mysteries, perfect to read together. These stories span a period of time when the Boy Detective is both in Idaville and on vacation with his family in Texas. Encyclopedia is able to help his father crack some cases, including a bank robbery in town and a lost bet for a violin, as well as some solo work with a pocketknife and a missing bike. Encyclopedia also dismisses some Western folklore and makes a tour guide look like quite the f ...more
Stacey
Jul 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: boys-books
Eli had his first boys book club today. 2 other boys from his class came over. After letting them run around, we came in and had some popcorn and gingerale ice cubes (they were in one of the mysteries) and Kool-aid. The book discussion was light, but the boys had a surprising amount to say about the book, and knew so many of the details. They colored in some bookplates, made bookmarks and then we played kickball. I had planned on having some water balloon games, but Emma tripped with the whole c ...more
Dylan
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is about Encylopedia brown. a yong boy who knows everything about anything and how he solves crimes. My favorite one is with the tigers secret shooting range.
Stephanie
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
reread on 2/22/10 and upgraded from three stars to five stars
In a read aloud to the whole class, my third graders could figure out about half of these with some significant prompting. I remember reading these when I was about that age and getting frustrated at how I couldn't get most of them. Now I could get all of them! Must be something about having a fully developed brain or something.

All that being said, I think these books are great for kids picking up on and remembering details, and using logic to solve puzzles. Sometimes they need some prompting t
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I enjoyed these books so much when I was a kid, and the nostalgia factor is strong!
Xydel
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2019
Hard mysteries that you get to solve yourself but inspirational because Leroy, or Encyclopedia, is a fifth grader just like me.
Steven R. McEvoy
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
This was the second Encyclopedia Brown book That I have given a read. In some ways it is interesting reading these books and also the Hard Boys Books with my son currently. I first picked up a book in this series because Barry Lyga made mention of it on his blog. These are fun reads, especially waiting for meetings to start at work. And with almost 30 books in the series it will provide a lot of entertainment.

Leroy Brown known to everyone around town as Encyclopedia Brown, born is a ten year ol
Dolly
Feb 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older children and parents reading with them
Book #2 in the Encyclopedia Brown series of books by Donald J. Sobol. We borrowed books 1 and 2 on the recommendation of another parent. I remember reading them as a child and loving trying to figure out the mysteries, so I was eager to share them with our girls. They liked them, but I don't think they're quite ready. Our oldest figured one of them out, and understood most of the others, once I read the solution, but a few of them went over her head. And our youngest just wasn't interested at al ...more
Timothy McNeil
Sobol's second Encyclopedia Brown collection requires a little more thinking and less guess work (and not a single instance of being outright wrong, which Encyclopedia was on his very first case). It is a little odd to revisit the idealized world of 1960s suburbia (even with the one bad neighborhood) where children are kidnapped for ransom and mumblety-peg is a perfectly fine past time for young boys. (Sobol is unclear as to which version of the game is being played, but the one with which I gre ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I recommend Encyclopedia Brown. I was 8 when I first encountered this series. I loved it. It was recommended by a boy that I liked. What I liked about these books is that it taught me how to think before making wild guesses. Each book had several cases which were easy to read and follow for a child. I recommend this to any parent looking for helping their child to use logic and deductive reasoning. Great on how to look at relevant facts at a child's level.
Julesmarie
Every bit as fun as the first book! Leroy (Encyclopedia) continues to be a delightful main character, the mysteries continue to be entertaining, and the side characters are still fun and funny.

My favorite thing is still that the solutions to the mysteries are at the end of the book so they can't be accidentally spoiled. Very clever!
Beyond Words
3.5 rating.

There were a couple mysteries happening in Texas specifically, that I found I couldn't get into. There were a few others where I had to reread a section because I tuned out. (view spoiler)
Mystereity Reviews
Encyclopedia Brown Can't say enough good things about this series.  Written for kids but still a great read for adults on a nostalgia kick.
stormhawk
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
More short mysteries to be solved by the reader.
JP
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I thought it really good and for the first time I solved a case without looking at it!
Lisa
When I saw this on the bookstore shelf I couldn't resist. I read this series as a young elementary aged child in the late 1960's-early 1970's; I was 8-12 years old; and loved them. I enjoyed following the clues and trying to solve the mysteries.
Fast forward to the current time and I still enjoyed following the clues and solving the mysteries. (I'll admit it there was one I had a little trouble solving).
This series follows Leroy Brown, known as Encyclopedia, so known because he had read so many
Lara
Encyclopedia Brown was one of my gateway drugs into mysteries. As a kid, I always tried to figure out the solution before I read it in the back. Not always successful, but I did try!

Rereading them as an adult was straight-up nostalgia. The formula I remember from childhood was still there (you start to notice it when you read a lot of this series, especially in a row). The first puzzle is always from the Chief, told around the dinner table, the second is at the Brown Detective Agency. There is a
Chance Hansen
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know of another book or series that can make you feel dumber while not losing your intelligence.

Cover
The cover is fine. I do have to admit using an illustration that gives homage no only to the title but being the first mystery in the book while being the theme of the last mystery is pretty slick.
Obviously it's a republish cover to catch new attention. It's actually honest to the character. Compairing his face and the wisp of hair on the cover to the first picture is pretty impressive d
Blue
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I feel that some of the 'solutions' were more convoluted than necessary, expecially with the ginger ale, and would have liked to see someone correct a detail - it could even be a way of the ne'er-do-weller to accidentally confess. There were a couple cases that seemed unsolvable, but it would turn out I missed the clue - probably do to working and having it sped up - like I read a shadow as being from the wrong character. I know later books have more esoteric-fact-based lynch-pins, but I did app ...more
Sebastian Parra
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I honestly didn’t like this book. It is like a mystery book each chapter is a mystery. I like mystery books when the whole book is one great mystery that either gets solved at the end, or in the sequel. The Did a good job when he added the answer to mystery at a certain page. For example, at the end of a chapter the mystery still has not been solved. You would have to go to a specific page to find the answer. To make the book better I would make the whole book one big mystery. This book is a rea ...more
Scott Paulson
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paulson-family
I thoroughly enjoyed this series as a child, and now my own boys are reading them for light reading fun. It is a book well-suited for people who enjoy puzzles. It is family friendly, if a bit dated in the tradition of Mayberry RFD. What I especially enjoy about the series is the use of simile throughout the stories. Some are over-the-top odd, but many of the examples display a profound understanding of childhood and rural America.
Melissa Namba
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
One of the Encyclopedia Brown classics. The stories in this one actually survive the test of time, because there isn't a situation where modern technology would have made a big difference. Rhe autograph one might have been easier, but there are still forgeries because the forgers also have access to the internet. My nieces and nephews will like this.
Maximilian Lee
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't like this book that much because the mysteries were very confusing and I didn't get them. I LIKED (there IS a like) this book because I like mystery book and the are very fun to read. I like the parts when Encyclopedia catches all of the crooks. >_< ...more
Stacy M. Patton
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
I read this to my 2 boys, who are 10 and 8. They both loved it!! My 10 year old solved a few cases but they both enjoyed listening and analyzing the answers to solve the case. Very entertaining and great book to make you analyze and think things through!
Mellanie C
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was a kid, these books completely stumped me. Now I'm the Queen of Trivia, and I find the mini mysteries a lot easier to solve! This is going into my classroom library for my students to enjoy.
Peyton
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, juvenile, mystery
A childhood classic, Encyclopedia Brown still continues to be one of my favourite literary characters. This is how I first got into mysteries. “Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch” is the second book in the series and is better than the first, in my opinion. Sobol seems to provide more of a range of difficulty with the mysteries in this second installment. I love the series and am thoroughly enjoying revisiting it.
John (Hey Y'all Listen Up)
I've had this book in my collection for over 35 years and have read it many times. The mysteries all depend on a detail being "off". A great way to teach youngsters how to look for clues and to teach them basic facts.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Moffats (The Moffats, #1)
  • The Great Turkey Walk
  • If the Shoe Fits (Whatever After, #2)
  • Henry and Ribsy (Henry Huggins, #3)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Great Wheel
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • Tree House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #14)
  • Early Modern Times: From Elizabeth the First to the Forty-Niners (The Story of the World, #3)
  • Lunch Walks Among Us (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #1)
  • Sugar and Spice (Whatever After #10)
  • Treasure of the Gold Dragon: A Branches Book (Dragon Masters #12)
  • Waking the Rainbow Dragon: A Branches Book (Dragon Masters #10)
  • Ralph S. Mouse (Ralph S. Mouse, #3)
  • All Work and No Play: A Collection of Sundays (Big Nate)
  • Mary Poppins in the Park (Mary Poppins, #4)
  • The Woodshed Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #7)
  • Blizzard of the Blue Moon (Magic Tree House, #36)
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.

Encyclopedia Brown (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Keeps the Peace (Encyclopedia Brown, #6)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Saves the Day
  • Encyclopedia Brown Tracks Them Down (Encyclopedia Brown, #8)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Shows the Way (Encyclopedia Brown, #9)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Case (Encyclopedia Brown, #10)
  • Encyclopedia Brown Lends a Hand (Encyclopedia Brown, #11)