Start by marking “The America's Test Kitchen: DIY Cookbook: Can It, Cure It, Churn It, Brew It” as Want to Read:
The America's Test Kitchen: DIY Cookbook: Can It, Cure It, Churn It, Brew It

The America's Test Kitchen: DIY Cookbook: Can It, Cure It, Churn It, Brew It

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  490 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Our popular blog, The FEED, has nearly 200,000 unique visitors monthly (and growing) and DIY cooking was recently named one of the top 12 food trends for 2012. This beautifully packaged cookbook marries DIY cooking with America's Test Kitchen's methodology, resulting in over 100 kitchen-tested projects--from jams and pickles to cheese and charcuterie, snacks and sweets to ...more
Published November 1st 2012 by America's Test Kitchen (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The America's Test Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The America's Test Kitchen

Brianna Sowinski
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Perfect for when you feel the need to tackle a more adventurous and involved recipes, ketchup to beer brewing, tons of fun projects especially if you find yourself with a ton of produce or to can or left over wine to make vinegar.
Sean
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I tore through this and made every recipe, front to back. Totally grew my confidence as a cook and tinkerer of all things worth imbibing.
Melissa Massello
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Featured in 35 Budget Living Picks for National Book Lovers Day on ShoestringMag.com :

"Perfected and packaged for the age of urban homesteading, this "foolproof" guide to canning, curing, churning, brewing, smoking, drying, baking, and otherwise scratch-making gourmet goodies comes tried & tested by the expert team at America's Test Kitchen in Boston. Check out Tara's adventures in making homemade nutella from this must-have cookbook over on our DIY Boston blog. (I can personally vouch: bet
Mrs Elizabeth Mills
As you would expect this is an excellent book.

I really don't care for food additives and like food to taste like it used to. That pretty much means make it from scratch and I have several cookbooks for the purpose. This book has a little bit of everything so is perfect for propping on the kitchen counter on my kindle, yes I most likely have a book which has a similar recipe, but propping a big cookbook on the counter with ingredients everywhere isn't very convenient, my kindle is. Plus this has
Westerville
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adults, non-fiction
In 4-page entries or less, with simple ingredient lists and endearing anecdotes, you can learn how to make everything from peanut butter to ketchup to marinated artichokes to salted caramels to pickles to cheese to crackers. Whoa. - Tamara, Computer Services

Reserve a library copy.
Jessica
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks-2013
This is one I may have to buy in the future. I try my best to make most things from scratch when I can and this book is full of do-it-yourself-made-from-scratch recipes. There lots of great tips and techniques with each recipes and tons of color, step-by-step pictures too. I would highly recommend this one for anyone who wants to make more from-scratch food.
Jess
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-booklist
This cookbook was pretty good. Although I didn't make anything in it, I can definitely see myself purchasing this and/or just borrowing it again. The pictures were great and it made me think that I could make some of the things with no problem. Lots of these recipes require a food processor which is something I hope to acquire soon.
Shelly
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I liked this book because I have food sensitivities now and think it's sometimes fun to make things from super-scratch. I made the home made magic shell. I had to tweak it for more chocolate flavor but, the bones were there and so I got it to work. In AZ you need more solid chocolate in the mix or it is too soft. I will probably try more stuff too.
Michelle Amos
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This cookbook is great and will make a good addition to most people's cookbook collection. Unlike some other America's Test Kitchen cookbooks I've read through, the recipes in this one are items I really want to make. I got it from the library, but am planning on purchasing it because of all the useful recipes. I can't wait to try the candied ginger recipe!
Heather
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is about making basics, well, what would have been basic for our grandparents - making your own mustard, ketchup, canning. I would have liked more information on canning, but still exciting to know that I can make my own GF Worcestershire sauce.
Philip Schramp
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellently written recipes, which is a given with ATK cookbooks. This is an great collection of recipes for everyday products that we all buy at the grocery store without thinking of the cost involved or what ingredients are included.
Tamara
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Unsuccessfully trying to talk myself out of buying this one.

Whoa.
Robert Hudder
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another book that I will review on my blog. The short of it, is that if you are someone who is trepidatious about trying new recipes and one who follows them to a 'T' (see what I did there Theresa) then this book is very comforting.
Monique
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book
Wonderful resource with things I would never make on my own. This would be a great gift for family night, home school families or folks who like to make their own stuff...certainly would be healthier.
Varina
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I can't think of anything I have wanted to try making at home that isn't covered here (maybe hard cheeses, but those really probably need a whole book of their own), and every recipe comes with clear, illustrated instructions that make even the most arcane of kitchen arts seem approachable.
Beka
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
A must for the kitchen DIY-er. In the true tradition of America's Test Kitchen, they explain both why and how to do a myriad of wonderful things that sound delicious. This is definitely going on my wishlist.
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jennifer by: http://www.thekitchn.com/diy-cookbook...
Gorgeous collection of recipes to try to learn more about pickling, canning, brewing, and other kitchen DIY projects. I would highly recommend this to someone wanting to start learning more about kitchen crafts.
Liz De Coster
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: hobbies, food
It's ATK, so I'm confident it's good stuff, but since it's ATK, I'm not sure about the amount of effort involved.
Jamie
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Love this book. Full of wonderful ideas and fun food projects.
Marissa
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Lots of good stuff in here I will be trying soon.
Katherine
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I'm always looking to try to see how many things I can make at home and this is one of my go to books. From canning to homemade granola, it's in this book.
Traci Sumner
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This cookbook is full of sticky notes. I can't wait to make all the recipes, ok, not quite all of them, but most of them. Love the cookbooks from America's Test Kitchen!
Kristy
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reread
This book was great & I plan checking it out again soon.
Mary Ellen
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A lot of DIY's. A must have for any cook or baker who wants to make a few or a lot of things from scratch without preservatives and fillers.
Karin
Buying my own copy of this. Nicely illustrated steps for the recipes with a good mix of simple and more complicated preservation techniques.
Jessa
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellent reference for all sorts of home cooking projects, and it has an engaging voice, for a cookbook.I read it from cover to cover the first time through.
Andrew
Jun 13, 2015 added it
Great resource, the red pepper jelly is delicious.
Brydon Elsner
Nov 02, 2014
Heidi Hoffman
Jul 01, 2017
Jennifer Canfield
Dec 31, 2015
  • The Preservation Kitchen: The Craft of Making and Cooking with Pickles, Preserves, and Aigre-doux
  • The Science of Good Cooking: Master 50 Simple Concepts to Enjoy a Lifetime of Success in the Kitchen
  • Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving
  • Preserving by the Pint: Quick Seasonal Canning for Small Spaces
  • Tart and Sweet: 101 Canning and Pickling Recipes for the Modern Kitchen
  • Saving the Season: A Cook's Guide to Home Canning, Pickling, and Preserving
  • Artisan Cheese Making at Home: Techniques & Recipes for Mastering World-Class Cheeses
  • The Liddabit Sweets Candy Cookbook: How to Make Truly Scrumptious Candy in Your Own Kitchen!
  • Real Food Fermentation: Preserving Whole Fresh Food with Live Cultures in Your Home Kitchen
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor
  • Tiny Food Party!: Bite-Size Recipes for Miniature Meals
  • Top Pot Hand-Forged Doughnuts: Secrets and Recipes for the Home Baker
  • The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Delicious Recipes to Use Year-Round
  • The Violet Bakery Cookbook
  • True Brews: How to Craft Fermented Cider, Beer, Wine, Sake, Soda, Mead, Kefir, and Kombucha at Home
  • Barbecue! Bible Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes