Start by marking “Viento del este, viento del oeste” as Want to Read:
Viento del este, viento del oeste

Viento del este, viento del oeste

Pearl S. Buck ha sabido describir en sus libros el punto justo en que se encuentran las civilizaciones oriental y occidental. Al trazarnos el retrato de una familia distinguida, apegada a tradiciones antiquísimas, nos muestra los conflictos que, de manera inevitable, surgen entre padres e hijos cuando las ideas occidentales penetran en los baluartes de la cultura china.
En
Published April 28th 2005 by DeBolsillo (first published 1930)

Start your review of Viento del este, viento del oeste
Nicole~
Sep 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kindle, china, buck
East Wind, West Wind originally titled Winds of Heaven was Pearl S. Buck's first novel published in the United States in 1930. Though it had gone through many earlier rejections, the acceptance to publish eventually came down to one final vote by Richard Walsh, the president of the publishing company (and who would become Pearl's second husband). He later revealed that he decided to publish it, " not because he liked it, but because he thought her capable of something better."

The story is told
Leslie
Jun 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asian
Wow, I really liked this book. It was about a very traditional Chinese family in the forties (I think) who faces for the first time the effects of their sons going off to America to become educated and coming back quite changed. This effects each member of their complicated families differently. I was so moved at times I was reaching for the tissues all night and all this morning. It's a very simple prose that even a Jr High level reader could read, but I suspect different generations would have ...more
El
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few years ago my brother and I took a road trip to Hillsboro, West Virginia to see Pearl S. Buck's childhood home. I had read A Good Earth and had loved it, and I thoroughly enjoy going to author's homes. When we got back home there was a message from my boss at the time on my answering machine asking why I wasn't at work that day. Somehow I had read the schedule wrong and my brother and I took our trip on a day I was actually scheduled to work. For the first (and only) time to date I received ...more
Noah
Recently, a retired professor I know gave me a ton of her old books that she had. Among the books were probably at least five by Pearl S. Buck. Because I had never read anything by Buck before, I decided to pick out the shortest one of the books of I received. Honestly, after reading James Bradley's The China Mirage, which singles out Buck and her novels as creating a delusional, pro-Western image of China and the Chinese, I didn't have high expectations for Buck. Judging from this one book, Bra ...more
Meghan
Mar 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
East Wind:West Wind is a charming story of a woman who learns to appreciate the good from each of two very different cultures. Kwei-lan was raised to be a traditional Chinese woman. Feet bound and head bowed, she is prepared to submit to her new husband in all things. Then he tells her that she is his equal, that he wants her to educate herself and to unbind her feet. She begins to incorporate his Western philosophy into her Eastern traditions, and blends for herself a unique way of life. Though ...more
Zöe Zöe
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: china
I have the desire to read all Pearl S. Buck's books. All the conflicts between modern world and traditional China must have written by her, or at least, touched by her! Filial duty, superstitious believes, and so on.

This book was written in 1930s in Nanjing, a far away time for us now. Cannot imagine the world then. But what we have now are still more or less the same....

I felt hope for what she proposed in the book, the hope of the great union between two races, with such an difference could
Gisela Hafezparast
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
First book of a wonderful writer, which seems to get very little attention this year. First women to receive the Nobel Literature prize. What I love about this book and all of Pearl S Buck's book she really understand the lives of Chinese women and tells their stories, rich or poor, beautiful or not, as they must have been. Not romanticised and really with lots of understanding, empathy and knowledge.

Her most famous book The Good Earth is one of my all-time favourite books which I have re-read
Leslie Nelson
Jul 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! I love learning about other cultures and Eastwind: West Wind is a wonderful way to do that. The story is one of two women one from China and one from the United States and their marraiges.

A wonderful introduction to Pearl S. Buck. I had to read more books by her after I finished this one!
Angeline
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asian-fiction
I read this book when I was in secondary school and love the simple story told first hand through the eyes of the female lead. it is as if I was indeed her little sister as she tells the reader how she copes with her husband's western ways and eventually how it led to a loving marriage. a wonderful book that can be read upteen times. its time to reread again when the holidays come.
Heather Goodman
A Chinese Jane Austen--all subtlety and navigating relationships in a changing world. After thousands of years of tradition, Chinese culture is being influenced by the west. In one family in particular, the protagonist marries a modern man who challenges her to unbind her feet (and her ways of thinking). All of her upbringing seems for naught as she seeks to please her husband and build a relationship with someone who has adopted many western ways of thinking. Her brother falls in love with an A ...more
Vera
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1900-1960
Tradional China meets modern America - probably Western culture is portrayed in an idealized way, but still I enjoyed this book a lot.
Perry Whitford
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kwei-lan has been raised rigidly within the centuries-old customs of the Middle Kingdom - the separation of the male and female worlds, marriages arranged at birth, the rigid etiquette, the bound feet, concubinage etc.

The man who is about to become her husband, a doctor, has been educated abroad and been thoroughly Westernised by the experience. All of Kwei-lan's ideas about the role of a wife are about to be challenged, for better or worse.

This is a plainly written novel with a narrative which
Rebecca
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful short little novel by Pearl Buck. This is a great one to start with, and would be a fantastic book for young adults too. The themes of east vs. west are a little overt in this novel, but it is still so compellingly written, so much so that I read it in one sitting. I kept thinking that I would wish it to be longer, but when I got to the end, it felt like the perfect length.

Unlike her other novels, this one deals with just a small part of one family's life, instead of generations and
Margaret
One of my favorite authors and I was pleased when I learned that this book was her debut. I love the language and the way that she deftly presents the contrast of Chinese culture against the changing world, in this case American tastes and attitudes. The main character's brother brings his American wife to the family home to gain their approval. It was painful reading this part because of how the author handled this strangeness and the foreignness of such an encounter. I got a keen sense of bein ...more
Dzenana Brkic
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me so much of the books I used to read in high school. It took me back to that period when I, as a teenager, tried to find answers to love in books. Books have always helped me understand love and life, and they have taught me how to appreciate my culture and myself.
This was a journey through different cultures, differences between the East and the West, as the title says. It is a story of one of "them", becoming one of "us" and accepting the "other". It is also a story of her
Lindsay
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual, Pearl Buck ceases to amaze me with her austere yet beautiful writing. I have found that Ms. Buck tends to write her books in a somewhat Bible-like fashion; simple words and sentences, but they all convey a multitude of thoughts, feelings, emotions, and information. This particular novel was interesting as Ms. Buck brought together characters from the East and West and illustrated the results of such in the following one specific family. Ultimately, the change in times conquered and the ...more
Zara Chung
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pearl Buck's debut novel follows a young chinese girl, Kwei-Lan, throughout her live. From young, she has been raised to be quiet and submissive to males, to be seen and not heard. She comes from the age of bound-footed women and obnoxious men who marry several wives. However, with the growing influence of the western world in China, Kwei-Lan finds that not everything she was taught growing up is true. We follow an innocent and rather ignorant girl who learns more about the western culture and b ...more
Marisol
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book that portrays the fast and overwhelming changes that happened during the XX century in China. I value the fact that the story is very simple; it is just about a young woman who starts to see her country and her culture from a new perspective. There aren't many characters or scenarios, because the story basically occurs within the walls of a couple of houses. But still, Pearl S. Buck is able to clearly and yet misteriously show the challenges that an entire society must have faced ...more
Sandra
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and have a ratty old copy of it given to me by my gran. This was a deep and moving tale about a young woman who comes from a tradition background where they still practice footbinding (something I have associate with violating womens rights ever since then). Anyway she is used to it and thinks little of it until she marries a doctor who has studied in the West and broadens her view of the world. So it is not just a culture study but a love story as well and the two co exist bea ...more
Guylou (Two Dogs and a Book)
I read this book when I was in my teens. It was a French translation. The book was in the school library. It appears to have been well read; the cover had tears and was folded at the corners. I did not search the index cards for it; I remember going to the fiction section of the library and browsing the shelves. Here it was.. shorter than the other books. It was like it was calling me to read it and I did. Beautiful story.
Joan
Apr 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pearl Buck's first book, written when she was in her 20s, shows amazing empathy for her own and the Chinese culture as they clash in an early modern biracial marriage of the young wealthy Chinese woman narrator's brother to a young white California woman. Remarkable and a good story too. Pearl Buck was the first American woman to win the Nobel Prize for literature.
Maegan Davis
It was a great book. I loved the mix of old traditions and new and the struggle to bring the two together. It was interesting to watch the main character as her view of tradition shifted and changed with the events that occurred around her. I was encouraged by her devotion to her husband and her respect for her elders. I would encourage all to read it.
Carl
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buck will amaze you with her vivid painting of the rural Chinese life of the first half of the 20th century. One of my favourite aspect of her books is how it is possible to understand the relationship between the different characters which is important since it is so different from what we are accustomed to.
Yamile Méndez
May 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully written book. The emotion with which the narrator tells her story seeps through the pages. I felt her pain, her joys, her fear and her love.
Very thought provoking and evocative. Loved it!
Pam Deppe
Jan 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book. The way the writer portrays the struggles that the Chinese people living the old way, and the west trying to be integrated into their lives, is truly astonishing. Sometimes, the old ways just cannot be let go of.
Lahni
This book totally captures the clash of cultures, not only of the eastern world and the western world but also of traditional parents and a modern minded son. Add to this a daughter who tries to find footing in both worlds. Well done.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
This is a lovely read, it is shorter and more light-hearted than Good Earth. While not one of Ms. Buck's best works, it is still a enjoyable read with a woman who thinks at first she is unlucky, but then comes to realize how lucky she is to have such a open-minded and progressive husband.
Goldie
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked learning about the Chinese culture. It was interesting to see the first stages in leaving the old customs behind and creating the new.
Barbara
May 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really, really liked this book. The writing was beautiful, the story interesting, the Chinese history informative and the angst as the characters bridged east and west ideas poignant.
Katlyn
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written piece about Chinese culture meeting American freedom and independence. I absolutely loved this book for the insights (on many levels) that it presented.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
2017 Reading Chal...: East wind, West wind - Pearl Buck 2 19 Jul 10, 2015 03:50AM

• De la part de la princesse morte
  • La gaviota / El Jardín de los cerezos
  • Prométeme que serás libre
  • Die Dame in Gold
  • Si te pierdes, mira dentro
  • El latido de la tierra
  • Nada
  • Amor, curiosidad, prozac y dudas
  • Modelos de mujer
  • El año del diluvio
  • Historia de una maestra (Trilogía de la memoria, #1)
  • La buena suerte
  • Doña Bárbara
  • Olvidado rey Gudú
  • El camino
  • Señora de rojo sobre fondo gris
  • La Regenta
Pearl Sydenstricker Buck was a bestselling and Nobel Prize–winning author. Her classic novel The Good Earth (1931) was awarded a Pulitzer Prize and William Dean Howells Medal. Born in Hillsboro, West Virginia, Buck was the daughter of missionaries and spent much of the first half of her life in China, where many of her books are set. In 1934, civil unrest in China forced Buck back to the United St ...more

News & Interviews

“This is I. I am as you see me. I do not care to be otherwise.” 6 likes
“As for their child, I am moved in two ways. He will have his own world to make. Being of neither East nor West purely, he will be rejected of each, for none will understand him. But I think, if he has the strength of both his parents, he will understand both worlds, and so overcome.” 3 likes