Start by marking “Foods That Harm, Foods That Heal — An A-Z Guide to Safe and Healthy Eating” as Want to Read:
Foods That Harm, Foods That Heal — An A-Z Guide to Safe and Healthy Eating

Foods That Harm, Foods That Heal — An A-Z Guide to Safe and Healthy Eating

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  310 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Compiled with the aid of more than 300 experts, this is a layman's A-Z guide to diet and health, consisting of straightforward entries on foods, drinks and ailments. Every entry has been checked by specialists from various backgrounds, and case studies are included where appropriate.
Published January 26th 1996 by Readers Digest

Be the first to ask a question about Foods That Harm, Foods That Heal — An A-Z Guide to Safe and Healthy Eating

Viv
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
I like this book because it annotates the drawbacks of what are commonly known as healthy foods and herbs, eg garlic. I take garlic raw as an antiviral remedy but didn't know that it could induce migraines. It was helpful to find this out as I had taken it in quite large quantities for tonsillitis and ended up with a severe migraine. I like the illustrations in this book too.
Shazoor
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must have for every health concious person. Not only it enlists the benefits and drawbaks of common fruits, vegetables and other eatables including cheese and chocolates, it also advices what to eat and what to avoid on various diseases. The book covers the complete nutritional details of food items.

This is not a one time read but can be used as a reference everytime when you need to be sure about some diet. Well researched and a thorough guide for safe and healthy eating.
Gina
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
'Foods that Harm Foods that Heal', help made me aware of what I consume. Before I eat anything I always think is this beneficial or am I risking my health.
Annette McIntyre
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full of all sorts of information about foods as well as conditions and what can help or hinder them
Rose Severino
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book for almost 20 years and I still refer to it anytime I want to know about nutrition or the way food affects us. Perfectly written and so helpful.
Miriam Downey
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read my full blog posting here: http://mimi-cyberlibrarian.blogspot.c...

My daughter's mother-in-law is an herbalist and nutritionist. She knows all there is to know about herbal and nutritional healing. If you have something physical bothering you, you just call her and she tells you what to do.

Not everyone can have Janice around to tell you what to do and what to eat. The next best thing is Reader's Digest Book's Foods that Harm; Foods that Heal: What to Eat to Beat Disease. It is a handy-dan
Yara
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
This is *the* book to learn how each and every food will effect your body: the pro's and con's included.
The A-Z of food is listed along with many health and nutrition topic's such as 'what to feed a baby who is at the weaning stage', that's just one from the top of my head. It is easy to read and is great for reference if you need to look something up quickly.

This book help's you to understand what you should be eating when you have a cold, low BP, anaemia etc etc. If your Dr mention's you are
Lisse
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a nice resource book if you want to know of some of the advantages and disadvantages of certain foods. It is chock full of all kinds of fruits, veggies, meat, nuts, etc. It also has a section on certain diseases/illnesses/afflictions that tells you what foods might be most beneficial for you and what you should probably stay away from. My only suggestion to those who read this, is to remember that everyone's bodies are different. That just because a suggestion is made in this book, doesn ...more
Eire
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I learned soo much from this book! and that makes it good! One thing that I thought was important was there was no junk science..everything was from real studys and it was well researched.The book seemed unbiased when it came to controversies over certain ingredients and foods. Always a plus in my mind. I enjoyed learning about the different plant families (like a pear is a part of the rose family something I once did not know.) I was able to learn something every couple of pages. This was a gre ...more
Melissa
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable flavor should not be the only reason for choosing the food we eat. When health is on the line, it is best to stock up on information about our food choice. This book is a valued reference material on the nutritional value and the harmful effects that food may have in an individual's various health conditions. Presented with images and graphics, I find it a helpful and necessary guide to meal planning.
Joseph
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is very informative and easy to read.

Going in alphabetical order, the book looks both at foods (listing what is good about them and what is bad), and various diseases and health disorders (and what foods are recommended and what should be avoided). It may not have the most up-to-date research. Nevertheless, as a resource on nutrition and health for the layperson, it is quite useful, and for the avid reader, it can be quite an interesting read for sure.
Davina Sinclair
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A-Z guide to healthy eating and living. Very well illustrated and clear. The book is split into easy small sections for reference, from Asparagus to varicose veins! The foods that harm and ailments sections are informative and suggest what you should take plently of and/or cut down on. The foods that heal sections point out the benefits and the drawbacks. Great book to dip in and out of.
Dereck
Aug 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference, own
This may be the most looked at reference book I own. It's very nicely organized with simple references right underneath each listing. I always like to eat and read about what I'm eating in this book. It's fun and interesting.
Kari
Jun 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in nutrition
I borrowed this book from my grandmother and never gave it back (with her permission, by the way). I can literally trace my interest in nutrition and natural healthcare back to this one book. (And now I'm a full-blown flexitarian!)
Trish
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
The book had some interesting insights as to what to eat and avoid but also what foods could help with weight loss and migraine prevention. I also liked that it listed how long foods would last in fridge.
Michelle Stang
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very informative on the vitamins and minerals contained in foods and what you want to avoid if you have certain disorders. A bit too conventional however. It dismisses a lot of natural healing methods and while it acknowledges controversies (like with pesticides) it largely dismisses them.
Prosperityjo
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic reference for health conscious people. It give an authentic and meaningful description and valuation of different food groups and items, and how you can rightfully consume these with the aim of gaining and maintaining better health.
Alice
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative. Puts all foods things into perspective on what's healthy and what's not.
Grandma Judy
Oct 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Some interesting information. Worth checking out at the library and reading, but not worth owning in my opinion.
Valerie
Good resourse book. It is an encyclopedia type book with foods, conditions, and diseases.
Erika
Aug 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned so much about how to eat properly!
Poppy Hall
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really informative, despite the age of the edition.
India Davies
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is very informing and great for a person who is interested in nutrition, as I am.
Jean
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very profound information. ..I have little if any health problems I can see that can be attributed to the food I put in my body and the habits I avoid! !! GREAT READ SO FAR!!!
Leah
Jan 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: partially-read
This is more of a reference book, so I don't think I fully utilized it in its brief time out on loan.
Shilpa
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
So much fun+informative!!
Lili
Apr 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting fact finding book on the merits of certain foods in healing or harming.
Christopher Brehm
A great reference book. Very interesting and helpful.
Victoria
Aug 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking, non-fiction
An interesting look at different foods and what each are good for. A nice collection to keep handy.
  • Cooking the Whole Foods Way: Your Complete, Everyday Guide to Healthy, Delicious Eating with 500 Recipes, Menus, Meal Planning, Techniques, Buying
  • Leon: Naturally Fast Food: Book 2
  • The Doctor's Book of Home Remedies: Thousands of Tips and Techniques Anyone Can Use to Heal Everyday Health Problems
  • The Blender Girl: Super-Easy, Super-Healthy Meals, Snacks, Desserts, and Drinks--100 Gluten-Free, Vegan Recipes!
  • The Raw Milk Revolution: Behind America's Emerging Battle Over Food Rights
  • 1801 Home Remedies
  • Dr. Abravanel's Body Type Diet and Lifetime Nutrition Plan
  • Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You to Know about
  • Reiki, the Healing Touch: Japanese Reiki Techniques and Hayashi Healing Guide
  • Pilates Body in Motion
  • Small-Batch Baking
  • New Choices in Natural Healing: Over 1,800 of the Best Self-Help Remedies from the World of Alternative Medicine
  • Master Cleanser
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Organizing your Life
  • Summer Cooking
  • 1001 Things Everyone Should Know About Science
  • The Yeast Connection: A Medical Breakthrough
  • 20,000 Secrets of Tea: The Most Effective Ways to Benefit from Nature's Healing Herbs