Start by marking “All That Remains (Kay Scarpetta, #3)” as Want to Read:
All That Remains (Kay Scarpetta, #3)

All That Remains (Kay Scarpetta #3)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  52,052 Ratings  ·  859 Reviews
A killer is stalking young lovers. Taking their lives...and leaving just one tantalising clue...

When the bodies of young courting couples start turning up in remote woodland areas. Dr Kay Scarpetta's task as Chief Medical Examiner is made more difficult by the effects of the elements. Eight times she must write that the cause of death is undetermined.

But when the latest gi
Published 1997 by Warner Books (first published June 11th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about All That Remains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All That Remains

James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The "Kay Scarpetta" mystery series by Patricia Cornwell was one of the first adult mystery book series I began reading. I also started these very young, around 13 or 14, which may not be the best thing for young adults if they don't have a strong sense of right/wrong and a stomach to handle really gory stuff. All That Remains is the third book in the series about a forensic medical examiner in Virginia who helps solve brutal crimes.

What I love about the early books is the relationship between th
Baz M
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was another very easy read in the Scarpetta series.
Non-Scarpetta readers be advised, you do not need to start from the start. Each book is standalone and you can read them in any order.
This is another great book in the series by Cornwell. Some awesome settings with some great chilling scenes. Any crime and horror lover would enjoy this and find it very easy to fly through. High 4 stars
CAM ♔
The ending may not make your jaw drop as expected. There was a certain point that did shock me, (view spoiler) but I was expecting a little more from this one. However, I found myself more interested with its characters, because of how greatly they have developed and how they have faced all of their predicaments— both personal and professional. Hoping that the next books are better!

Quotable Quotes
"It’s difficult to be sensible when you want the best fo
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
23/3 - I just finished watching the last episode in season 10 of Bones on Foxtel and considering the fact that Channel 7 is only halfway through season 11 I don't think Foxtel will be getting its hands on it for some time, possibly not until next year even. Coming to the realisation that I might have to wait 12 months before I see a new episode of Bones sent me into almost immediate withdrawal, but then I looked at my to read list for March and had the epiphany of what's the next best thing afte ...more
This was a reread from over ten years ago, so it felt almost like new to me. I can always count on this series to keep the pages turning and the interest high. The ending was a little too......not pat. Maybe a little far-fetched? Convoluted. But definitely a worthwhile read. Looking forward to getting caught-up with this series. I think the next one will be a reread too and then I'll be in new territory.
AnnaBnana
Feb 04, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
Daniel
Feb 28, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm in the minority, according to the reviews, but I had to put my two cents in after thoroughly reading Patricia Cornwell's novel, All That Remains.

Although they're not the first thing I reach for when I want a good read, I quite enjoy a good intrigue/mystery novel. Jeffery Deaver's The Devil's Teardrop, for instance, impressed me quite a bit. I can appreciate a well done and suspenseful crime novel just as much as the die-hard fans.

That having been said, I was less than impressed with this boo
Susan
May 31, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NOBODY
Olga
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Conditioned by my previous experiences with detective novels whenever I begin a Scarpetta book I expect a straightforward mystery, and every time Cornwell crafts a story that's everything but. Oh, there is a mystery alright, but there is also a very strong human element and the more I get to know Kay Scarpetta and her circle the more clearly I see it. It is possible of course that this human element is becoming more prominent, with every consecutive book being more about the people than the crim ...more
Rob
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-thrillers
Number three in the Dr Scarpetta series.
Hard to put a handle on this book. Thriller, mystery, who done it, really all of the aforementioned.

For a number of years young couples have going missing only to turn up 4 or 5 months later, dead. Because on the period of time it takes to find the corpses there's not much for Dr. Kay to work on, mostly just bones. As a result, these murders are still open. The most recent murders involves a high powered functionary's daughter and the daughters boyfriend.
Lobstergirl

The setup seemed promising: young lovers on road trips disappear, their cars found abandoned, and months later their bodies are found by hunters in the woods. But Cornwell did nothing interesting with this, and as in her previous novel Body of Evidence has the killer parachute in at the last minute. Who the *&^% cares about a killer introduced in such a way? The only way to maintain narrative tension in a whodunnit is to be wondering which of the characters you already know dunnit.
Meags
3 Stars

This was another easy and engaging murder-mystery by Cornwell.

In this 3rd instalment, medical examiner, Kay Scarpetta, becomes embroiled (yet again) in a murder case in which several young couples have been kidnapped and murdered in the woods of Virginia by an unknown assailant.

Once again Kay is joined by cop Marino and FBI profiler Benton while working the case. Unfortunately, I'm still unfeeling towards this cast of characters, but fortunately I enjoy the mystery plots enough to conti
Marijan
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Ocjena ostaje nepromijenjena i naklon drugog čitanja. Lagano štivo, ali jednostavno nije moj cup of tea.
C.
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was zooming through, enjoying this very well but the end fumbled. Violence isn't my kind of content but Patricia Cornwell has an engaging pace. A good author can peak our interest in nearly anything. I liked a lot in this story. However as we were revving up to the crux, an extra twist disturbed momentum that was better without it. Other elements did too. “All That Remains”, 1992, was sure to score four stars but received three.

A person I liked died and it wasn't clear why, nor was a detail ab
Mark Harrison
Another satisfying Scarpetta story. Five young couples murdered after possibly being hunted in the woods. Lots of twists and turns, the FBI and the CIA are covering something, Kay's old love resurfaces, her reporter friend Abby smells a big story and it rattles along. The conclusion is tragic and oddly unsatisfying but all in all a good read.
aPriL does feral sometimes
'All That Remains' is third in the Dr. Kay Scarpetta murder mystery series. She is Chief Medical Examiner for the state of Virginia, and besides doing a lot of autopsies, she solves murders!

Scarpetta usually begins her days thus:

"Saturday, the last day of August, I started work before dawn. I did not witness mist burning off the grass or the sky turning brilliant blue. Steel tables were occupied by bodies all morning, and there are no windows in the morgue. Labor Day weekend had begun with a ba
Mochacocafan
Pros of this book:

-The protagonist is not in any way, shape or form a Mary Sue
-she's....somewhat good at her job
-there is blood and no over-romanticizing death
-they're realistic
-the plot makes sense
-there are no LOLWHUT / DOESNOTCOMPUTE moments
-the details are interesting

Cons:

-the swearing and slang feel unnatural for every character
-there are some dumb, overused stereotypes
-I get the sense from this book that every killer is an idiot
-the killer is an idiot
-the main character is incredibly flat
✨Susan✨
Kay Scarpetta is a medical examiner who has been trying to solve a case concerning a serial killer for many years. No evidence is ever found at the murder sights and she cannot find cause of death for any of the victims. The story started out interesting and the characters were believable, however, about three quarters of the way through the mystery became convoluted. To many what if's and conjectures with not enough evidence to support some of the theory's. I was going to rate it a four because ...more
Cat Fu (carocat)
I'd criticised Postmortem and Body of Evidence for the actual crime solving where all the things they did wouldn't really amount to catching the murderer and All that Remains is no different though, strangely, even more infuriating. Full spoilers for this and future books follow.

Just like BoE, I somehow never read this book before, but that didn't make it a better experience. A number of small mentions did feel familiar, such as the drama with the initialed cartridge, though maybe that's a recur
Ana Goulart
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gosto das personagens desta série policial, estão bem construídas, são interessantes, assim como as relações que mantêm entre si - gosto sobretudo da personagem principal, a médica legista Kay Scarppetta, e o detetive Marino. Aquilo de que não gostei tanto foi da abordagem policial tipicamente americana, demasiadamente centrada na ação, que sofre inúmeras voltas e contravoltas devido a enganos provocados por teorias da conspiração ligada são FBI e à CIA. Não aprecio muito este género.
Al Tarancón
Apr 14, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporaneo, crimen
I wrote this review in my blog when i read this. And luckily... A couple daya ago i was checking the Cornwell books in here, trying to remember which one have i read, and they all looked the same... Not a good sign...

La reseña que sigue la escribi en mi blog cuando lo lei. Y por suerte... Hace unos dias estaba repasando los libros de Cornwell, tratando de recordar cual era el que me habia leido, y todos me parecian iguales... No muy buena señal...
The first book i read from this author, and almos
mark monday
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murdertime
although the novel itself is rather forgettable, the central characterization is memorable. dry, formidable, determined, prone to various neurotic relationships... kay scarpetta is a strong creation. unfortunately the forensic science takes a backseat to the police procedural aspects in this entry in the long-running series. and i still can't help but question why a coroner finds herself in these various predicaments. the odd way in which protagonists find themselves involved in murder is part o ...more
Lemniscat
Okay book. Refreshing with a crime novel that does not follow the typical death/murder-investigating-main character gets into trouble/gets abducted-plot.
TheMadHatter
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars.

I finished this last night and it will become my last (and 106th) read for 2017.

I remember first reading this when I was in my 20s and thought Kay Scarpetta was really old. Twenty years later, when Kay and I are MUCH closer in age and I think "wow....she wasn't old at all" Ahh perspective :-).

I do love this series, which is why I embarked on the re-read (they are over 20 books in the series now). SPOILERS COMING.........................................................
Chau Tran
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
On the third book and I swear every book has the same ending: the killer getting killed. Praying this doesn't continue cause it's seriously getting annoying although this book is far better than the rest.
Lianne - Literary Diversions
Huh, I don't know why I didn't mark this one as read sooner! I finished it weeks ago. Whoops. Review to follow!
Matt
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Cornwell adds another Scarpetta novel that entertains as well as educates the interested reader. After a string of couples are found murdered, miles from their vehicles, Scarpetta begins to wonder if there`s a serial killer on the loose. When a high-ranking politician turns up to be a parent to one of the slain women, the OCME (Office of the Chief Medical Examiner) kicks things up into high gear. Why were these couples chosen and why haven them leave their vehicles before killing them? How long ...more
Selva Subramanian
It is a good one if not very good. I like Kay Scarpetta, the main detective in Cornwell's books, maybe because she is a woman and hence she brings a certain vulnerability to the role. She carries a weapon alright but I tend to worry for her when she is following a clue all by herself and feel assured when she has company. It is a funny feeling. Another USP of Cornwell's books is the heavy reliance of forensics. I have read serial killer novels and have watched quite a few movies too and I have a ...more
Emily
Apr 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A series of young couples are being abducted in the Richmond area, their bodies found months later in the woods. This leaves little for Kay to go on when determining cause of death and few clues for police to follow up. When the daughter of a prominent politician becomes one of the victims the case becomes more important than ever, but with accusations of conspiracies and cover-ups by federal agencies, the truth is even harder to find.
I appreciate the attention Cornwell gives to the detail of th
Jeff Brateman
Mar 18, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hmm, usually I like books that take me into a fantasy world, one that cannot be obtained except by reading. This book is more of a conversation you have with a friend. I think sometimes, "wow, glad that's not me" and move on with my life. I am pretty sure the Dirk Pitt books did so much more than that, and they still sucked. Maybe this one should have recieved a -3 rating, but I want to remain consistent with my rating system. Oh oh, this book also lacked a climax. I don't think books that leave ...more
Around the Year i...: All That Remains, by Patricia Cornwell 1 13 Apr 23, 2017 09:43PM
Goodreads Librari...: Change description 4 14 Oct 29, 2015 05:25AM
The Women's Myste...: #3 All That Remains 1 12 May 18, 2013 10:00PM
  • Deadly Decisions (Temperance Brennan, #3)
  • Monster (Alex Delaware, #13)
  • I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone, #9)
  • The Bone Vault (Alexandra Cooper, #5)
  • The Twelfth Card (Lincoln Rhyme, #6)
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
Patricia Cornwell sold her first novel, Postmortem, in 1990 while working as a computer analyst at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Richmond, Virginia. Postmortem, was the first bona fide forensic thriller. It paved the way for an explosion of entertainment featuring in all things forensic across film, television and literature.

Postmortem would go on to win the Edgar, Creasey, Anthony,
More about Patricia Cornwell...

Kay Scarpetta (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta, #1)
  • Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta, #2)
  • Cruel & Unusual (Kay Scarpetta, #4)
  • The Body Farm (Kay Scarpetta, #5)
  • From Potter's Field (Kay Scarpetta, #6)
  • Cause of Death (Kay Scarpetta, #7)
  • Unnatural Exposure (Kay Scarpetta, #8)
  • Point of Origin (Kay Scarpetta, #9)
  • Black Notice (Kay Scarpetta, #10)
  • The Last Precinct (Kay Scarpetta, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Missing, Presumed (DS Manon, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Use
    $5.99 $1.99
“Não imaginava o que seria preciso para me levar à loucura. Se calhar era como morrer. Depois de uma pessoas se passar para o outro lado não se sente a diferença. (Kay Scarpetta)” 4 likes
“Your aura has nothing to do with colors or foods you like.” She smiled. “Yellow can mean spiritual. And brown I associate with good sense, practical. Someone grounded in reality. I see your aura as being very spiritual but also very practical. Now mind you, that is my interpretation. For each person, colors mean a different thing.” 0 likes