Start by marking “Fair Monaco” as Want to Read:
Fair Monaco

Fair Monaco

3.14  ·  Rating details ·  21 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
When Maggie, Kate, and little Nora go to stay with their grandmother in the city, they beg her to let them play outside, but she's too afraid. Her back is bad, her feet are bad, and her head is full of worries. That night when the girls find their way into their grandmother's dreams, they realize they can do something to make the worries go away.
Published October 1st 2004 by Front Street, Incorporated

To ask other readers questions about Fair Monaco, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fair Monaco

Quinn
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
All time favorite picture book, probably.
Philip
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought the art in this book was fantastic. It really reminded me of being in Brooklyn or Queens. Although the tower on the front cover is more reminiscent of Willis (AKA Sears) Tower - Chicago:

Look at The Sears Tower above, doesn't that match - almost exactly - the tower on the cover? (The author/illustrator is from Buffalo, NY... so... who knows what he was going for.

At any rate, the pictures are great. The story is about some kids who go live with their grandmother, who lives in the city.

Sh
Courtney
Mar 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: edutl-2368
Cole, B. Fair Monaco. Puffin Books (2004).

Fair Monaco is about three little girls who are visiting their grandmother. The girls desperately want to play outside but their grandmother who has aching feet and a bad back and "a head full of worries", won't let them play outside. The girls find themselves in their grandmothers dreams that night and then come up with an idea of how they can get her to let them play outside.

The reading level for this book is ages 4-8 and has really detailed pictures i
Shanshad Whelan
Feb 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Brock Cole is, I think, an acquired taste in picture books. Sort of like Butter Tea. The stories are not typical or expected ones and some of the text can be downright bizarre or disturbing. I've found that I actually enjoy Cole's quirky storytelling, but I'm not sure how well it would play to younger readers. This book feels a tad short to be a full story, though overall I think it's a sweet and touching look at a grandmother's anxieties vs. her granddaughters' bubbling enthusiasm and how they ...more
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Three sisters have to stay with the grandmother in a derelict part of town. There's talk of grandma living it up in "fair Monaco," but I really didn't get the connection. There's a dream and then a realization things might not be as bad as they seem.

Illustrations are pretty.
Inhabiting Books
Just too weird. Not a lot of kid-appeal.
Joelle
Jan 30, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
Kind of an odd story about 3 girls staying with their anxious Granny in the city. Definitely too scary for my 4 yr old's bedtime! I glazed over the middle section.
Amy
May 21, 2012
Adam
Jan 26, 2013
Madeleine Wolfe
not as much flow or sense to the nonsense as others of his
Elisabeth Ellington
Mary Kathryn
Jul 18, 2018
Becca Easlon
Jul 27, 2018
Brock Cole was born a year before the Second World War in a small town in Michigan. Because of his father's work, his family moved frequently, but he never regarded these relocations as a hardship.

"I thought of myself as something of an explorer, even though my explorations never took me very far. I had a deep and intimate acquaintance with woodlots, creeks, lakes, back streets, and alleys all ove