Start by marking “I, Trissy” as Want to Read:
I, Trissy

I, Trissy

Trissy Jane Beers knows when she's being bribed. That's exactly how she feels when her father moves out of their house and gives her a typewriter so she can put down on paper the things she's always making the mistake of saying out loud.

Trissy feels good about pouring out her problems on the typewriter. And she has plenty of problems, what with her parents' upcoming divorc
Published January 1st 1986 by Yearling (first published October 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about I, Trissy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I, Trissy

Start your review of I, Trissy
Andie Nash
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was so damn funny. I must have read it about a hundred times when I was nine (around the time of my parents' separation and divorce). I loved the way the heroine used humor and journaling to get through her parents' messy break-up. It was both comforting and inspiring to me.

ETA -- the book's publication date, 1986, refers to a later edition. It was first published in the early '70s and I read it in 1983.
Christina
Feb 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was 12, and I so identified with its title character, that I asked for a typewriter for Christmas that year. What followed from there was a lifetime of keeping a journal, and the writing of some really bad poetry. I was really inspired by Trissy, and I would love to get a copy of this book to read it again.

...I wonder what Trissy would be like at 35?
Debbie Hoskins
I still have the yellowed paperback on my shelf!
Just like Harriet the Spy, it gave a weird young girl permission to write and make pictures with a typewriter!! Very creative. Thanks Norma Fox Mazer. You influenced me immensely with this book!
Colleen
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
loved this one as a kid. i think the cover was yellow. my older brother read it first...we've always had the same taste in books. i seem to remember i was fascinated by the swear words lol ...more
Jennie
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as a child I have been looking for it everywhere and Bam here it is .. I could not stop reading it .. I am so glad I found it again..I want to share it with my little girls :)
elscorcho
Nov 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, ya
Funny spin on a sad teen subject. If the story took place in today's time, Trissy would have ended up going to counciling raither then getting a typewriter to work out her angst. The story itself was timeless. ...more
Danielle
Apr 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a delightful story from 1971. Trissy is 11.5 and pours out her thoughts and frustrations using the typewriter given to her by her dad. She struggles with her parents' divorce, her siblings, and her friendships. Plenty of humor and painfully accurate.

1/47 tbr box.
Jessica
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home
this was one of my favorite books when i was a little girl. i remember being amazed at how the author experimented with print as a form of art. looking back, there's a strong possibility that i also got a smith corona typewriter at that time i was reading it. the good ol' days. ...more
Ruthenator
I found a bunch of my old books in my basement and decided to give this a re-read. Kinda weird.
Leslie
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh dear Lord. It took me 3 hours to figure out the name of this book. I kept Googling... pink book, 80s, girl sitting at typewriter and NOTHING. Finally I started looking up Tessa? No... then it occurred to me... I, Treeny? No. I, TRISSY. EFFING A I FOUND IT.

All of that to say that I read this book a lot as a kid for some reason but had no memories of the plot except she would type curse words on her typewriter. And of course, I remembered the cover.

Ok, now I can go about my day doing other thin
Jane Pierce
Oct 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010-reads
Ah, just reviewing an old memory/book before passing it on to a niece.
Isa Stamos
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book as a kid.
Jennifer Shanahan
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LOVED. A blast from the past!
Andrea
May 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite books from when I was in my early teens. It's still on my bookshelf. ...more
Elisa
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as a kid. Give a girl a typewriter...
Anne

• The Upstairs Room
  • Baby Island
  • April's Kittens
  • Higglety Pigglety Pop! or There Must Be More to Life
Norma Fox Mazer was an American author and teacher, best known for her books for children and young adults.

She was born in New York City but grew up in Glens Falls, New York, with parents Michael and Jean Garlan Fox. Mazer graduated from Glens Falls High School, then went to Antioch College, where she met Harry Mazer, whom she married in 1950; they have four children, one of whom, Anne Mazer, is a