Start by marking “Theft By Chocolate” as Want to Read:
Theft By Chocolate

Theft By Chocolate

Mystery, Mayans and Mayhem: Looking for chocolate, love and an international art thief in all the wrong places.

Chocolate addict Kalena Boyko wasn't prepared for this. Heading to work at Canada's largest museum as an administrator, she hoped for quiet and uninterrupted access to her secret chocolate stash. Instead she's assigned to manage the high-profile Treasures of the
Published May 14th 2012 by Attica Books

To ask other readers questions about Theft By Chocolate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Theft By Chocolate

Start your review of Theft By Chocolate
Eloise
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book makes me giggle helplessly at times and also keeps me completely absorbed - the pace is just right. Even non-chocoholics would be swept along (and perhaps tempted) and for anyone with the slightest susceptibility, well, I hope you have some in the house.

I defy anyone to read this book and not feel better and more cheerful for having done so, even if they do also feel fuller ;) I'm looking forward to the next instalment.
Diana
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The perfect anecdote to yet another cloudy wet Sunday afternoon. Mystery, intrigue, a quirky heroine and a love of chocolate....deliciously good fun!
Diana Kathryn Plopa
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Suspense, Humor, Mystery, A Dashing Englishmen, A Flattering Younger Man, the Wonder of a Museum's Backstage, and Chocolate... what's not to love about this story!

Luba Lesychyn is an extremely talented writer. She understands how to dangle details in ways that have you looking forward to more excitement, without anxiety. She's a comfort writer. Pull up a cozy blanket and dive right in. I immersed myself reading her pages at night, after a day of work... shunning the rest of the real world, and
Heather
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Kalena is a fun main character to follow. At times she presents as a ditzy woman who's love for chocolate stands in the way of everything else in her life. At other times she is the strong museum administrator who is able to handle all the problems thrown at her as the Mayan exhibit comes to her museum.

Throughout it all Kalena is surrounded by men that love her and hate her. Geoffrey is a rich, sexy administrator from the London office. Kalena spends a glorious few days with him in London only
Elena Dumitru
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love museums, a good mystery novel, especially one about an international art heist and chocolate, not necessarily in this particular order. A difficult request to fulfill, I know, but I got it all in Theft by Chocolate! While the book is mainly fiction the heist reference at the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) is real. The thief was never apprehended and the stolen gems (opals) appeared many years later in Hong Kong on the black market. Hmmm...with every page the mystery darkens and so does the ch ...more
Karysa Faire
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading Theft By Chocolate! It was well written, funny, and a good mystery. The author's descriptions of Toronto and London were wonderful and I felt like I was there with Kalena, the heroine, as she chased suspects by taxi or walked miles in spiked heels with heavy suitcase in tow. There is also a little romance that happens (all closed door), enough to satisfy this romance reader.

And did I mention the chocolate? Kalena is addicted and we share that addiction with her throughout the sto
Suzanne Sammons
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was funny and light a fun read for Summer. I found that I wanted to eat more chocolate when I was reading tho. I review the book on my blog here if you want to read more and get a good brownie recipe.
Kristen
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really thought this was going to be a slam-dunk read. I mean, first off - chocolate?! Hello?? I love chocolate. Second it's set in a fictionalized version of the museum in my city - the Royal Ontario Museum, which I also love. And yet . . . it just didn't work for me. I didn't end up finishing this.

I gave the book to page 100 which is nearly a third, so I feel I was more than reasonable in giving this the chance to grab me.

Re: the chocolate-loving main character; the constant mentions of choco
Dianne Landry
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I live in Toronto, near Yorkville, and spend time at the museum this is based on so when I saw the author at Word on the Street I had to buy her books. I have to say that I did find Kalena a little annoying with her chocolate obsession, evn though I am myself a chocoholic, but over all the book was fun.

I thought I had things figured out and although I did know Richard Pritchard was a bad guy I did not figure out what he was up to.

This was a fun book and I will read the next in the series.
Theresa
Jan 16, 2021 rated it liked it
A fun little read. It was neat to see settings around the ROM that I have a passing familiarity with. I enjoyed it enough I'll read the next one as well. As an added bonus, while Googling something I'd read in the book I learned that the ROM has an online visual database of its collections. I'll be looking into those in the future too. ...more
Patricia
Nov 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
I read this book for a book club and I look forward to the food at our meeting with great anticipation. If the book hadn't been chosen by a good friend, I would not have finished this book. However, the author does write well, I learned some things about museums, and I craved chocolate for several weeks. ...more
Caroline
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was ok
More like a 2.5. Figured it would be fun with the ROM and chocolate, but I found Kalena more irritating than amusing, though there were some good bits.[ETA] Figured out the problem last night—most of the humour is physical, slapstick even, which I’ve never been fond of...
Denise
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
A bit like a w network movie, cute but unreal. The fact that it’s based in Toronto was interesting to follow along with.
Ashley E
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
4.5 stars.

Theft By Chocolate is a hilarious romp through Canada and London as we follow the adventures of Kalena Boyko, museum consultant, as she tries to unravel the suspicious actions of her colleague, Richard Pritchard. Is he really trying to steal from the Treasures of the Maya exhibit, or is he just a soulless jerk? Along with her (dare I say) sidekicks, Marco and Geoffrey, Kalena is determined to find out and save the Museum's reputation.

Luba Lesychyn creates a perfect mix of humor, romanc
Beth Barany
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-mysteries
I don't read cozy mysteries so don't know where these fall in the spectrum... All I do know is that I enjoyed this story. Still days later, the main character Kalena talks in my head. And I wonder what she's up to next. Hope the author has another story about Kalena and her museum capers on the works! I should add that I also enjoyed the setting of Toronto and the rarified air of a national museum. Also loved the European angle. I could relate to Kalena's 40 year old body issues and digged her c ...more
Anna Berendzen
Sep 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through the first-reads program. Kalena is a museum worker with an addiction for chocolate so one can imagine her excitement when her museum is going to show the world's oldest piece of chocolate and her terror when it ends up going missing. She is the main character- sassy, smart, and spontaneous.
There is plenty of good mystery in this book as the reader learns of characters' secretive back-stories and obscure current actions, the different men vying for Kalena's attention
Barb Rice
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Since I work in a museum myself, I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but it was a fun read. It is fast-paced and entertaining, and gives the reader a glimpse "behind-the-scenes" in a big museum. The main character is someone you would like to meet, and her obsession with chocolate adds to her quirky personality. By the end of the book, you are hoping that the story will be turned into a movie. You can imagine it up on the big screen. Looking forward to a sequel. ...more
Spaka Eon
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Comparing previous book that I read 'Already Home' and this one - I enjoy reading this book more. It's lighter, funner and doesn't make you cry. I like Kalina, her chocolate addiction and obsession is similar to my coffee obsession. Of course you only notice how bad you are when you read about other addict...

p.s. looking forward to the next book about Kalina (hope there will be one).
Ehbooklover
Aug 18, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A fun mystery with a quirky protagonist. Her obsession with chocolate caused me to raid my own dark chocolate stash more than a couple times. I enjoyed reading a book that takes place in Toronto in a museum that is obviously modeled after the ROM, one of my favourite places in the city.
Martha Fergusson
A funny light read that reminded me of all things Toronto- Ontario. It was a great read and enjoyable for a summer afternoon.
I would give it as a gift with toblerone and other chocolate delights As a read you want some it handy..
Amber
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I wanted to give it a three star rating but settled on a two. The story was a bit spastic for me and well I felt some plot lines were good but others were introduced and dropped or interrupted the flow. I did enjoy the museum setting.
Krismas
Stephanie Kelcey
Apr 14, 2013
Kristin Szyper
Oct 14, 2012

• Across the Green Grass Fields (Wayward Children, #6)
  • Devoted
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1)
  • The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)
  • Steelheart (The Reckoners, #1)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • The Name of the Rose
  • Dark Rivers of the Heart
  • No Second Chance
  • Doctored Evidence (Commissario Brunetti, #13)
  • Skinner's Drift
  • Blood from a Stone (Commissario Brunetti, #14)
  • Uniform Justice (Commissario Brunetti, #12)
  • Suffer the Little Children (Commissario Brunetti, #16)
  • The Turkish Gambit (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #2)
  • Through a Glass, Darkly (Commissario Brunetti, #15)
  • Murder on the Leviathan (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #3)
Luba grew up in the Hamilton, Ontario area. Soon after finishing her graduate studies at McMaster University in history, Luba landed on the doorstep of Canada’s largest museum, the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto where she worked for more than 20 years.

Moving from positions in the Education and Programs Departments to the Museum’s consulting branch, she concluded her career at the institution in