Start by marking “Isagoge” as Want to Read:
Isagoge

Isagoge

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  50 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
L'Isagoge est une introduction aux Categories. Porphyre y definit les cinq predicables (genre, espece, difference, propre et accident) et formule ce qui, grace a Boece, deviendra le principal probleme logique et metaphysique du Moyen Age occidental - le probleme des universaux -, ouvrant la querelle qui, jusqu'a la fin du XVe siecle, verra s'affronter realistes et nominali ...more
Published June 1st 1975 by Pontifical Inst of Medieval (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Isagoge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isagoge

Erick
Basically, this is an introduction to (or maybe a synopsis of) Aristotle's Categories by the Neo-Platonist Porphyry. I just finished Aristotle's logical works, so that subject matter is still fresh enough in my mind that nothing here struck me as terribly novel or elucidative. That being said, this work was popular during the Middle Ages and some have found it helpful when reading Aristotle's categorical writings.

I am going through Porphyry's works at the moment, so I will save my comments regar
Patrick
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I rate this five stars not because it's original in any way but because it's a very clear explanation of a dense text. Porphyry is, like Aquinas, sometimes better at writing Aristotle than Aristotle is. Highly recommended to anyone struggling with Aristotle but who doesn't want to use boring contemporary secondary texts. Porphyry rocks (pun very much intended).
Léas
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Invaluable introduction to Aristotle's works. I've been reading this along with others for a philosophy discussion group. We'll be starting on Aristotle's Categories next.
Evan Kramer
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are my notes on the passage. Unfortunately, OneNote doesn't transfer all of my notes nicely, and so certain parts have to be omitted.

Genus

Descriptio of Genus: that which is predicated essentially of many things differing in species.

Differs from property in that genus is predicated of many species, whereas property is predicated only one species and to the individuals belonging to that species.

Genus different from difference and common accident. Though difference and common accident may be
Evan Leach
This interesting little treatise was intended as an introduction to the categories of Aristotle. Specifically, it is concerned with the hierarchical classification of different things; readers familiar with the biological concept of taxonomy (kingdom > phylum > class > order > family > genus > species) will recognize many of the basic concepts and terminology that remain in use to this day.

I've read some Aristotle in my day, but I'm certainly not an expert, and I'd be lying if
TR
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The best introduction to philosophy. This should be the first philosophy text students read. They should read Aristotle's Categories and On Interpretations second.
Jordan
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the translation by Octavius Freire Owen, M. A. of Christ Church, Oxford. It might as well be in the original greek. It served only to complicate things. I feel like it was begging for an illustrated version, or one in which hierarchy could be better illustrated, for the words were legible, but their combinations were not.

I get the usefulness of the document and its historical importance, but holy shit was this translation confusing.
John Cairns
Jan 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Useful introduction to Aristotelian logic.
John Cairns
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I thought I said: this is a good introduction to Aristotelian logic. (The finishing date is approximate.)
James Violand
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those stymied by Aristotle's works regarding logic
Shelves: own
Excellent! If only I had known it exsisted before I tackled Aristotle's Prior and Posterior Analytics. It would have saved my hours of diagramming the structures of proper argument.
Ethan
Just interesting
Omer Dassa
Jul 12, 2018
Daniel
rated it did not like it
Mar 06, 2017
Mauro
Apr 18, 2012
Taylor
Feb 21, 2018
Porphyry's parents were Phoenician, and he was born in Tyre. His parents named him Malchus ("king") but his teacher in Athens, Cassius Longinus, gave him the name Porphyrius ("clad in purple"), possibly a reference to his Phoenician heritage, or a punning allusion to his name and the color of royal robes.

Porphyry of Tyre (Greek: Πορφύριος, Porphyrios, AD c. 234–c. 305) was a Neoplatonic philosophe