Start by marking “Solviva: How to Grow $500,000 on One Acre and Peace on Earth: Learning the Art of Living with Solar-Dynamic, Bio-Benign Design” as Want to Read:

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  63 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The story of an extremely profitable, working sustainable farm. Includes 155 color illustrations and detailed instructions to help readers towards a model of sustainability.
Published September 1st 2004 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company (first published June 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Solviva, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solviva

M D
Jan 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
It has some great ideas about sustainable greenhouses that are more and more relevant everyday.

If you can get over the "caped crusader/save the world" bits--she can get a bit preachy at times, but in a sincere sort of way--there are some solid principles and brilliant ideas.
Tyler
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Anna Edey writes in an accessible, friendly way about issues that concern anyone who has a mind for the future. She writes about her experience creating the "Solviva Farm," where tomatoes and lettuce grow all year round in a gigantic greenhouse, their energy comes from the sun and from the warmth of the animals, and human wastes are safely digested by plants and earthworms, all while improving upon comfort, convenience, efficiency, and capital. It is a story about what's possible today once we c ...more
Aaron
Apr 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Interesting book about how to integrate productive plant life directly into our living spaces. This book primarily discusses the author's year-round partially house-integrated salad farming operation on Martha's Vineyard. She talks about some of the difficulties in creating a balanced ecosystem that can produce food year-round through the harsh winters on the Vineyard. Another common theme in this book is that we could produce much more food and have healthier living spaces if greenhouses were i ...more
Courtney
Sep 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
Anna Edey makes it sounds too easy, and of course she had droves of (probably) low-paid, certainly high-ideal helpers in achieving her vision, but I love her commitment, admire her hard work, and think this is an important contribution to the self-sustaining movement. She's really a pioneer, and she created something really special in Solviva. She learned a lot and shares it in a very straightforward way. I dunno about $500K, but we could all gain a lot by following in her footsteps.
Dan
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book, a must read in order to save this insanity we call civilization.

I usually don't buy books, but I bought this one so that my kiddos will read it. This type of materials should be standard in our education system.

What a great example of how to be a leader and change the world by being the change you want to see. I hope to some day be as aspiring as Anna.
Willow
Dec 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of my most favorite earth/growing books! Anna has so many excellent ideas on how to use the sun's energy to create a better environment and what it would look like if communities started to use it.
Darryl
Nov 14, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: yes
check out her greening models with old & new technologies
Jen Lighty
Oct 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I actually cried a lot when I read this book! I was so moved by what Anna Eadey created and long so much to live the way she does. A heroine of mine.
Stephanie
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. Just amazing how you can grow so much and live SOOOOO sustainably and simply and live with all the amenities with simple, low-tech materials.
Karen
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book on growing our food in a good way and caring for our earth at the same time. Deep (as opposed to casual) reading.
David Young