Start by marking “Monster in My Closet (Monster Haven, #1)” as Want to Read:
Monster in My Closet (Monster Haven, #1)

Monster in My Closet

(Monster Haven #1)

I stopped believing in monsters long ago. But I knew I wasn't imagining things when I found one in my kitchen baking muffins. I'd seen him before: lurking in my closet, scaring the crap out of my five-year-old self. Turns out that was a misunderstanding, and now Maurice needs a place to stay. How could I say no?

After all, I've always been a magnet for the emotionally needy
Published July 30th 2012 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Monster in My Closet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monster in My Closet

Elspeth
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much, I wanted to hug it, and squeeze it, and then read it again. I am so happy this is going to be a series, I love the characters that much.

It starts off with Zoey, a free spirit with a questionable taste in clothes. Zoey is an empath, but never being trained, doesn’t know how to shield, so she suffers from migraines. Zoeys powers are pretty rare, so when she becomes the target of an incubus it takes some old friends, and new to keep her safe.

Enter Maurice, oh Maurice how
Aisling Zena

"Sometimes we all need a hug and a heart full of lies, even if the relief won’t last."

I really enjoyed this book! I found my self smiling through most of it and got a tiny bit teary eyed in some parts. I cry easy, don't judge.
description

Zoey wakes up one morning thinking an intruder broke in her house only to find the monster that scared her as a child lounging in the kitchen having coffee and behaving like her BFF. Coincidentally dressed in a Hello kitty t-shirt and armed with a toilet brush(Zoey
Jacob Proffitt
As easy entertainment, the book was cruising right along and taking me with it. Until a bit after the midpoint. Zoey had an interesting personality and an interesting ability. Further, it informed her character as someone who likes to help other people. I'm not much of a fan of the doormat female, but it didn't get too annoying in this book so I was mostly able to roll with it.

As long as I wasn't taking it too seriously, it worked. I mean, there's no way an empath could get to her late 20s and n
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
With quite a few heavier reads lately, I was so in the mood for something lighter and honestly, just something fun. I got exactly what I was looking for in Monsters In My Closet.

I am a huge sucker for secondary characters that are every bit as fleshed out and fun as the main characters. There is just something about knowing that someone has the protagonist's back that makes a read better for me. I need witty banter, humor, and a strong bond between people and thankfully this book delivered on al
roxtao
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I admit I fell in love with the book from the first words. In fact..no, I’m lying! I think that since the moment I saw the book’s title I became desperate to find out the story. I have a bad habit of creating different expectations around a novel, depending of it’s title and cover and of course, in this case also, once I saw those elements I suspected/hoped that the story would be as original as it seemed to be. And fortunately, I wasn’t wrong. I loved the novel written by R.L. Naquin from the f ...more
Ian
At the age of 28 Zoey discovers that she is not like other women. She learns that she's an empath in the worst possible way. An incubus has developed a taste for her and is using her as an all you can eat buffet. Before long the people around her start dying, sucked dry.

Determined to protect her friends she enlists the help of a motley group of psychics, monsters and fairies but as a demon the incubus can't be destroyed and the best she can hope to do is banish him...but to do that she'll need
Kara-karina
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Egalley thanks to Carina Press
This is very much a paranormal chick-lit novel, despite the bodies dropping right, left and centre. It's lighthearted, funny and entertaining, and it was a pleasure to read it.

Zoey is what I like about chick-lit. She is flamboyant, geeky and very eccentric redhead wedding planner. She is also an empath who ends up absorbing feelings of everyone else around her.

So when one morning she gets out of bed and finds a closet monster in her kitchen making her a fresh cup
Coyora Dokusho
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
At first I was really super thrilled and happy that I picked this book to read - it was soooo funny and I was really enjoying it - but then I made a mistake: I skimmed to the end because it was late and I wanted to sleep.

speaking of sleep, I do that now, maybe I'll edit it later.
Mandy
Opening Sentence -
Of all the possible weapons I might have grabbed, I chose a toilet brush....

Review -

I received this book from Netgalley to read and review.

The story starts off with Zoey waking up to sounds in the kitchen, she grabs a toilet brush and rushes in to find the monster from the closet when she was five years old. He pushes her into a seat at the table and servers her fresh orangestrawberry muffins (totally made me want to make some and still might) He explains how sorry he is to hav
Tracey
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, fantasy
One-word review: fun.

To expand upon this: What a ridiculous amount of fun!

To explain: This is the tale of Zoey, an unusual lady who with her friend Sarah plans weddings for those lucky enough to find them. It doesn't really signify that Sarah is single and Zoey is divorced from the extremely clingy Brad (who just will not go away) – they're good at what they do.

As the description says, one night Zoey is wakened by the sound of someone in her house, and discovers her intruder is not entirely a
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2012/07/...

Zoey is half owner of a bridal consulting firm, Happily Ever After, with her best friend Sara. She’s also an empath, although until recently, has always thought she was just particularly sensitive to others’ feelings. When she gets up one morning and there is a monster at her kitchen table, humming to himself, reading the paper and sipping coffee, her world is turned upside down, very suddenly. The monster’s name is Mauric
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: To fans of Katie MacAlister and Molly Harper
A fun escape into a paranormal world of monsters and mayhem!

Most kids think see monsters in the closet or under their bed throughout their childhood but Zoey was almost scared to death by one when she was five. She's put that awful memory behind her and tried to move on, owning her own wedding planning business...until she wakes up one morning to the smell of coffee and muffins in her kitchen by none other than the very same monster who she encountered in her childhood. The monster in question n
Celine
Monster in My Closet is the first book in the Monster Haven series, which centers around our eccentric main character Zoey.

Zoey gets the fright of her life when the monster in the closet from her youth is sitting at her table. It quickly becomes more shocking when she finds out his name is Maurice, and that his wife has left him. Zoey tumbles head-first into a world she never knew existed. She always helps people - but who is going to help her?

The best thing about this book is that it's such lig
elyse
When Zoey was five a closet monster scared her half to death. She never sees him again until the morning she wakes up to find that same closet monster, whose name is Maurice, sitting at her kitchen table with homemade muffins and no place else to go. She's pretty sure her life just skidded off track. Add to that her heretofore unidentified empathic abilities, a murderus incubus and a super hot paramedic and you get a funny and thrilling fantasy.

Really fun, I'm hoping for a sequel!

Tracy
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
So Much Fun!
Even at five, Zoey knew monsters weren't real. Sure, she was terrified when she thought she saw a monster in her closet as she lay in bed at night, but when her mom came in and opened that closet door, turned on the light, and shooed that imaginary monster right on out of there, Zoey knew that her mom was being the wonderful mother she was, humoring her and taking her fear away by being silly. Monsters aren't real. Everyone knows that.

And for twenty-three years that was merely a fact
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading Monster in My Closet, this is the first book in what is set to be an incredibly fun series and I can't wait to read more from R.L. Naquin. The main character Zoey is just your average girl, she lives a fairly normal life and enjoys working alongside her best friend Sara as a wedding planner. Zoey hasn't believed in monsters since she was a child and thought she saw one hiding in her closet but of course she grew out of that fear, until she comes downst ...more
Marsha
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adults
Most of us have a memory or two where we called for our mommies and daddies in the middle of the night because we saw a shadow or we thought there was a monster in the closet or under our beds. Well, what if instead of a bad monster it was really a creature that was temporarily living in your house until a more suitable home could be found for it? Zoey is a wedding planner in Sausalito, California. She recalls screaming for her mother in the middle of the night when she saw a monster come out of ...more
Vannessa
I picked this book up from NetGalley a while ago as it sounds like a fun read, but I wasn't really sure what to expect. I was very pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it. Zoey is a quirky girl, running her own business as a wedding planner with her best friend Sara. Business is pretty busy and keeps her on her toes.

When a strange creature appears in her kitchen one morning, everything Zoey ever knew changes. This creature is the monster from her closet from when she was a child. The monster
All Things Urban Fantasy
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review Courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

After the first few sentences involving a plunger being used as a weapon, I knew I was going to love MONSTER IN MY CLOSET complete with all of its cheekiness and quirky characters. I liked how fast Zoey accepted the fact that all of these creatures she is discovering are real and she has empathic powers. Since she discovers all of this in pretty rapid succession her acceptance was pretty much out of exasperation at the constant barrage of more strangene
LilyElement
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Monster in My Closet is a breath of fresh air that isn't afraid to step outside the box. It has all the aspects of a book that I could ever hope for. Urban Fantasy, a dash of romance, paranormal creatures, and silly scenes. There was no doubt in my mind that this book is a must read just by reading the first line.

"Of all the possible weapons I might have grabbed, I choose a toilet brush."

The main character, Zoey, is an empath that always seems to draw in people that are in need. Upon confronting
Amy
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amy by: roxtao
3.5

Oh, well...This one was sweet! I wasn't sure how would turn this "Monster in My Closet" premise, but the writer took my doubts away and pleasantly surprised me.

Starting with empath, kind-hearted Zoey, a slightly weird woman with outrageous fashion style, to the magic creatures like good-smelling Skunk-apes, Brownies, Dragons and more, to a Demon who kills women in a very strange way...all combined in this story, made this a light book with some dark corners with a lot of adventures!

I liked t
Jessica
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I really enjoyed the first half. Zoey seems like a funny, kind person who finds herself on the road to self-discovery, prompted by the return of a monster who hid in her closet when she was a child. The world building was delightful and sweet, except for the incubis. (He was described a few times as being sexy and pirate-like. Personally, I think pirates are far more creepy than sexy, but pop culture tells me I'm in the minority on that one).

Anyway, somewhere in the second half, things started t
Melindeeloo
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
3.5 stars - Just some quick thoughts... Zoey is a quirky empath/wedding planner with questionable taste in clothing who discovers a hidden word of supernatural creatures when her childhood monster-under-the-bed comes home (after his wife kicks him out). Monster in My Closet, the Monster Haven series starter, was cute and sad both - the muffin making monster and the new residents of Zoey's home which has suddenly become a half-way house for displaced supernaturals was cute but there is bit of dar ...more
Olivia ツ
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, read-in-2014
Very cute story! 28 year old Zoe wakes up one morning to find her childhood closet monster seating in her kitchen reading the paper and drinking coffee. While most people would've been scared, Zoe takes it all in stride. So ends her "normal" life. Unknown to Zoe, she is an empath. Her skills come in handy in her wedding planning business and all would've been well except that an incubus demon is after her.

Throw in a mixture of "hidden" or mythical creatures along with a quirky Zoe and you've got
Jenny Schwartz
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful world Monster Haven is. It's full of fascinating ideas that I'm hoping will be explored in future books. The characters are warm and people you'd like to meet -- well, except for the villains.

It's such a different sort of book that I'm not too sure how to write this review -- then again, reviews and I often struggle.

And then there's the whole issue of spoilers...hmm, anything I say will probably be one. Ok. Read the book and tell me what you think of it. I think it's fantasy wi
Tiffany
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing

This book rocked! I could not put it down! Such a different take on paranormal! Light, fun, easy read! I want more! This one is going in my new favorite series pile!!!
Lyndi W.
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
Zoey has a couple TSTL moments, but the whole story is so light-hearted and campy that it's totally forgivable when she doesn't actually die.
Kimi
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Overall Rating ★★★★
Plot ★★★
Humor ★★★★
Characters & Character Development ★★★
Narration ★★★★★

Story: This was a fun interesting read. I enjoyed the characters and the plot immensely and I can't wait to see where the story goes next. This is definitely a story I could listen to again. There was only one thing that annoyed me a bit. And that was that Zoey couldn't figure out what was going on with her best friend until the end of the book. smh. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Narra
Meigan
So darn cute. Zoey was quite an endearing lead and the secondary characters, Zoey's new band of misfits, were great as well.

Zoey is an unknowing empath; she's been able to feel and grasp people's emotions just by being near them. Not knowing what an empath is or even that she is one, she believes this is normal, that everyone else is able to do this. It's not until she meets (is rescued by) herbalist Andrew, who gives her a tea for migraines and explains that the headaches are a side effect from
Stephanie
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Original Post at Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust.com MONSTER IN MY CLOSET
How Did You/Your Parents Handle Those Scary Monsters?

When you come by please comment and let me know you came by from Good Reads!

Monster in My Closet by R.L. Naquin
MONSTER IN MY CLOSET
A Monster Haven Story
R. L. Naquin
Carina Press a Harlequin Imprint July 30, 2012
E-Book (Kindle 413 KB 209 pages, 77,000 words)
Disclosure: Uncorrected Advance E-Galley loaned by Publisher via NetGalley.com.
No Remuneration was exchanged. Except as noted all opinions herein are my ow
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Book Giveaways: Win a copy of Monster in My Closet 1 41 Jul 24, 2012 10:02PM
Advanced Copies f...: Win a copy of Monster in My Closet 1 17 Jul 23, 2012 05:24PM
Free Books, .99, ...: Win a copy of Monster in My Closet 1 13 Jul 23, 2012 05:22PM
Anticipating! 1 12 Jun 28, 2012 12:51AM

• How Beauty Loved the Beast (Tales of the Underlight, #3)
  • Box Office Poison (Linnet Ellery, #2)
  • The Guardian of Bastet
  • City of Mirrors (Diana Poole #1)
  • Don't Bite the Messenger (NIght Runner, #0,5)
  • Buckingham Palace Blues (Inspector Carlyle #3)
  • Cold Courage (Studio, #1)
  • The Stubborn Dead (Lost Souls #1)
  • Twisted Miracles (The Shadowminds, #1)
  • Bad Moon Rising (Skinwalkers Trilogy, #1)
  • Rogue's Pawn (Covenant of Thorns, #1)
  • Succubus Lost (From the Files of the Otherworlder Enforcement Agency, #2)
  • Realm Walker (Realm Walker, #1)
  • Never Deal with Dragons (Never Deal with Dragons, #1)
  • Chase Me (Underbelly Chronicles #2)
  • Mixed Feelings (Empathy in the Preternatural PNW #1)
  • Dweller on the Threshold (Beri O'Dell #1)
  • Precinct 13
Rachel is the author of the urban fantasy Monster Haven series from Carina Press. She believes in magic, the power of love, good cheese, lucky socks, and putting things off until stress gets them done faster at the last minute. Her home is Disneyland, despite her current location in Kansas.
Be among the special peeps who get all the R.L. Naquin updates first by sign

Monster Haven (7 books)
  • Pooka in My Pantry (Monster Haven, #2)
  • Fairies in My Fireplace (Monster Haven, #3)
  • Golem in My Glovebox (Monster Haven, #4)
  • Demons in My Driveway (Monster Haven, #5)
  • Transmonstrified
  • Phoenix in My Fortune (Monster Haven, #6)
“Nice one, Zoey. You did everything short of farting in there. Maybe if you see him again, you can tell him you have a yeast infection.” 9 likes
“I often heard people advise breathing through the mouth to avoid a stench, but I was of the well-considered opinion if I didn’t want it in my nostrils, I sure as hell didn’t want it in my mouth.” 9 likes