Start by marking “Princeless, Vol. 1: Save Yourself” as Want to Read:
Princeless, Vol. 1: Save Yourself

Princeless, Vol. 1: Save Yourself

(Princeless (Collected Editions) #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  8,417 ratings  ·  816 reviews
Princeless is the story of Princess Adrienne, one princess who's tired of waiting to be rescued. Join Adrienne, her guardian dragon, Sparky, and their plucky friend Bedelia as they begin their own quest in this one of a kind, action packed, all-ages adventure!

Graphic Novel. Collects issues 1-4 of Princeless.
Published May 23rd 2012 by Action Lab

To ask other readers questions about Princeless, Vol. 1, please sign up.
Elizabeth Capell Definitely, I read it when I was 10. Completely appropriate.
Glen I got it for my daughter before she turned 8. There are a few parts I edit, but she and her younger brother love it.

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Princeless, Vol. 1: Save Yourself
Erica

So guess what? This tale begins with a soon-to-be Goodreader.

photo SAM_5864_zpsf4mm0nd7.jpg
 photo SAM_5865_zps7l6ou2ar.jpg
As you can see, it even gives pointers on how to have a discussion, though it's kind of a snotty discussion, but not as bad as the whole "Ur stoopid!" "No, good madam, it is you who are stupid" stuff we all enjoy so well.

Ok, not really. Little Princess Adrienne is merely questioning the message in bedtime fairy tales. She didn't get the Grimm version, she got the Disney version and she didn't like it one bit. (I would have like
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
White, blonde princesses awaiting their white, blonde prince charmings begone! Princess Adrienne is here and she's going to kick some serious derriere. And to hilariously kill some tropes hilariously (if deadly) dead, too. And to Make Feminism Great Again (MFGA™). Not bad for a despicably young MC, huh? So yum and stuff, I say.

Oh, and by the way, the art here is slightly very cool, too.

There's stuff like this:

And like this:

And also like this:

And also also like this:

And also also also like this:
Peter Derk
Apr 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Let's talk the positives that I'm not going to argue against.

Cool to have a likable, funny female protagonist. Who is also black. Points awarded. I think the character is heroic and also a screw-up. She doesn't have to be perfect, which is nice.

Okay. Let's talk about a couple other things.

There are ways in which the story is cool. A princess in a tower who escapes and heads off to rescue her similarly-trapped sisters. I'm into that.

Buuuut can we get to rescuing the sisters? Can we have some act
Sesana
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comics
I had high hopes for this book. I mean, look at that cover! The art is good, and Adrienne looks like a protagonist I'd love to read about. And the synopsis, taking apart the idea of a princess trapped in a tower. It sounded like it was made for me. And I was not disappointed.

Whitley put a lot of thought into this world. He starts with the idea of a princess imprisoned in a tower, with dragon, and set up a culture around the concept. Obviously, the kingdom has to be ruled by a strong king (and ob
Chad
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chad by: Stewart Tame
Shelves: 2018
Princess Adrienne thinks the fairy tale of the princess trapped in a tower waiting to be rescued by her Prince Charming is BS. Then one day she wakes up in a tower guarded by a dragon thanks to her misogynistic, a-hole father. After getting fed up with the parade of idiot princes come to save her, she slaps on their leftover singed armor and heads off with the dragon to rescue her sisters.

Adrienne is an empowered young woman in a feudal society that completely devalues women. I love how all of y
Jessica
Oh man! What a fun adventure! Princeless was a refreshing read as she could be a cousin of Cimorene from Patricia Wrede's Dealing with Dragons. The girls are similar in their banter when the princes approach to rescue them. This book's main theme discusses all the familiar tropes that are presented in fairy-tale retelling: the laughable highlight being fighting in women's armor. Don't get me wrong---I love a good sexed up version of "HOW CAN THEY WEAR THAT AND KILL ALL THE THINGS?!" It's nice to ...more
Wendy
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this with my girls (7 & 4) and they called it "the best comic book ever." They absolutely adored it and are reading it again themselves. I loved the way it presented all the themes and problems with princess stories and comics books - and in a way that we could easily discuss. Book 2 on order! ...more
Danika at The Lesbrary
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-lesbian
Just what I was looking for from this! A fun, feminist send up of misogynistic fairy tale and superhero tropes. Although the plots/styles are different, it gave me the same delight I get from Lumberjanes.
Tiara
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Princeless follows the quest of Princess Adrienne to free herself and her sisters from their fate of waiting for a prince to save them from their towers. From the beginning Adrienne has rebelled against the idea of princesses being passively saved by princes, asking her mother, "Who has the kind of grudge against this beautiful princess that they would lock her in a tower?"

Adrienne decides, after finding a sword after another failed rescue attempt by a prince (one who didn't even know the defini
Blodeuedd Finland
I really should read more comics! They are so fun, but of course I have no idea how to review them. And there might be a spoiler or two in here.

Adrienne was so cool! Already on the first page she showed of her snark when she told her mother that the Rapunzel story had plotholes. Not to mention asked why all the princesses are fair and blonde...

Anyway, sorry Adrienne, your parents still put you in a stupid tower with a dragon to guard you. But she is one cool woman and she breaks free. And she qu
E.
SO!! FRICKING!! CUTE!!
Everything about it is great! The dragon! The female ' armour'! The humour! And so much more!
Also, it gets many points across about patriarchy without sounding preachy.

__________________________

insta | twitter | blog | booksirens | duolingo
Laura (bbliophile)
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This was an incredibly fun, fast and feminist read.
Stewart Tame
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Utterly delightful! I suppose this book can be viewed as part of the growing trend toward having comics with young, strong, female protagonists (i.e. Lumberjanes, Ms. Marvel, etc.) That's not a bad thing, as this trend has been needed for far too long. In any case, Princeless takes the traditional tale of the princess locked in the tower, and stands it on its head. Adrienne's parents, the king and queen, only want what's best for their children (seven princesses, one prince.) The girls are to be ...more
Devann
!!!! I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS !!!!

I love Adrienne and I love Sparky and I love Bedelia and the entire thing is just so cute. Also I love the bit about the ~women warrior~ armor, I'd actually seen those panels on tumblr before but I just assumed it was a webcomic and not an entire series! Can't wait to read more of this. Looking ahead I see I have pirate princesses to look forward to as well!
Chasia Lloyd
Really fun premise + yesssssss PoC leads

buuuuut is it really subverting women-in-fantasy tropes if you stick our heroine in a skimpy costume for a few pages after ragging on about it? Maybe I'd feel differently about this if it wasn't written by a man.

also a few too many ableist references for my liking

might try vol 2, idk
Calista
Tired of Patriarchy? Well grab a cup of your favorite beverage and settle in for this fun romp through a feminist fairy tale where princesses must save themselves and they are strong enough to do so. This book is full of color and humor, fighting and insults, dragons and overbearing fathers.

I enjoyed this fun book. It made me happy. I will be reading on in this.
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
Wow! I read that really quickly :)

I really liked this! Seemed to be written for a younger audience, but it was entertaining enough for me, as well. It's a story about a young princess saving herself, instead of just waiting in her tower for some prince to rescue her. There's a lot of blatant stuff in here about men underestimating women, gender roles, heteronormative ideals, presumed ideas about masculinity. It's a little on the nose at times, but I still enjoyed it.

The bit about the ridiculous
Kayla (BOOKadoodles)
This was so much fun! I loved how it poked fun at existing fairytale and female warrior tropes. Definitely continuing this series, and I can't wait to meet Raven, our lesbian pirate queen, in future volumes. ...more
Emily
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just great. Princess Adrienne, like her sisters when they turned 16, is locked in a tiresome tower in order to lure the perfect determined suitor for her father to turn into the next king. The king already has a son--but judges him too effeminate to be worthy of the throne.

Adrienne's great. The book opens with her mother reading a younger Adrienne a saccharine princess tale, which Adrienne meets with "That story is complete hogwash...first of all, it's full of plot holes..."

In the tower, hearin
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one princess book that I want to give out to everyone I know. Adrienne is locked in a tower guarded by a dragon when she turns 16. She has been protesting this her whole life and makes fun of the princes who attempt her rescue. Making friends with her dragon, she decides to be her own hero and sets off on a quest to take on the world and gender stereotypes (no, she doesn't say that specifically, this is editorial commentary). She is sassy, commenting on the skimpy costumes of other women ...more
Erin
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I absolutely love the idea of this book but the execution is pretty clunky. I'm hoping it'll get better as it finds its groove but right now it's very obvious in its intentions as it distinctly spells it out for you at every convention it attempts to circumvent. This greatly stilts the dialogue which feels written and preachy. I'm not loving the artwork either which is fairly pedestrian. That being said, the idea of the princess saving herself and running off with the dragon to go on adventures ...more
Jeremy
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the subversion of fairytale princess tropes in this, as well as the flipping of gender expectations. (I loved that Adrienne's brother was terrible at fighting and had a soft heart for his sisters)

Initially I thought some of the message was as subtle as a 2x4 but my wife reminded me of the intended audience for this story, and that younger children would be better served by non-subtle messages.

I definitely liked the book and look forward to picking up and reading the rest and dis
The Sapphic Nerd
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So everyone I know of who's read Princeless has LOVED it. Now, I'm right there with them! Princeless vol 1 lives up to the hype. It's smart, funny, sarcastic, and makes obvious how ridiculous and harmful things like sexism and stereotypical gendered behaviour can be. More people have been writing twists on fairy tales recently, but Princeless's presentation is flawless. It's accessible to younger audiences while offering even more amusement to adults.

Brilliantly written and playfully illustrated
Kaethe Douglas
Excellent all-ages book. The eleven-year-old and I loved pretty much everything about it: the dragon* and tower setup, hair issues, diverse cast, kick-assery, and the extensive discussion of armor. I am ready to read the entire series and will probably give it as a Christmas gift to everyone I can think of. Probably just the thing for Zita fans who want to branch into fantasy.

* Looks like a luck dragon to me.

Library copy
laura (bookies & cookies)
I like dis.
I like dis a lot.

This is not one of my more eloquent reviews, and I don't care.
Greyson | Use Your Words
Princeless Series Ratings:
Princeless, Vol. 1: ★★★★★
Princeless, Vol. 2: Get Over Yourself: ★★★★★
Princeless, Vol. 3: The Pirate Princess: TBR
Princeless, Vol. 4: Be Yourself: TBR
Princeless, Vol. 5: Make Yourself: TBR
Princeless, Vol. 6: Make Yourself Part 2: TBR

This year I am doing Graphic Novel December.
My plan is it to read one GN for each day of the month. So 31 in total!
I'll keep a running total in the review of each GN as I read them to help me keep track and for anyone following to see whe
Melissa Stacy
First published in 2011 and 2012, "Princeless" is an American all-ages comic book series by Jeremy Whitley. This series was nominated for two Eisner Awards, and has won many other awards.

"Book One: Save Yourself" introduces readers to main character Princess Adrienne, an opinionated black princess who isn't a fan of her kingdom's policies or her own fate as a princess. With her dragon friend, Sparky, she sets out to kick some ass and change the world.

If you love the work of Noelle Stevenson (wh
Bailey
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4 1/2

Adrienne Ashe is a far cry from your typical princess. For one, she doesn't want to be a princess or even carry out a princess's duties for that matter. She has a strong mind and will of her own that is not easy to break. For this reason, when her parents tell her that she is going to be locked in her very own tower at the age of sixteen because it is the princess tradition, she quickly tells them that this is never going to happen. They reluctantly agree with her, saying that she c
Hannah
This is pretty fantastic. It's just what every little brown girl deserves: a totally usual fairy tale setting, just with a brown girl instead of a white girl. Clearly it's inspired by the Paper Bag Princess and similar heroines, and it also reminded me a lot of the absurdity of Robin Hood: Men in Tights. Every single cliche and trope is here--on purpose. It's totally sillypants and very obvious with its pointed critique of traditional hero/heroine tales and fairy tales, but it's done in the way ...more
Kristen Harvey

Princeless is a series that fans of fairy tales and strong female characters will love. Adrienne is a princess in a tower and she's done with watching princes try to rescue her. So, she decides she's going to save herself and then sets off to save all of her sisters in turn. There is only one prince in her family and he is not living up to his father's expectations. I'm hoping they expand a bit on this part of the story in other volumes. It's nice to see both genders breaking free of their usual
Angie Sayaseng's Book Review 4 1 1 Jun 13, 2018 07:51AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Princeless by Jeremy Whitley 2 13 Oct 26, 2015 12:23PM
Bitch Team Alpha ...: Princeless 10 7 Apr 21, 2015 03:56PM

• I Am Pusheen the Cat
  • Something New: Tales from a Makeshift Bride
  • Adulthood Is a Myth (Sarah's Scribbles, #1)
  • Baba Yaga's Assistant
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • Step Aside, Pops (Hark! A Vagrant, #2)
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • Steven Universe: Warp Tour (Vol. 1)
  • Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant (Delilah Dirk, #1)
  • The Nameless City (The Nameless City, #1)
  • Giant Days, Vol. 2 (Giant Days, #2)
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 1: BFF
  • The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #3)
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 2: Friendship to the Max (Lumberjanes, Vol. 2)
  • Princess Princess Ever After
  • The Okay Witch (The Okay Witch, #1)
  • Sass & Sorcery (Rat Queens, #1)
Jeremy Whitley is the son of two teachers and the husband of a third.

Born in La Mesa, CA, Jeremy went to high school in Lenoir, NC and college at The University of North Carolina. He graduated with a Bachelors in English, a minor in Creative Writing, and a girlfriend who would soon become a wife.

He and his wife Alicia live in Raleigh with their elemental daughter, Zuri. Jeremy writes part-time an

Princeless (Collected Editions) (9 books)
  • Princeless, Vol. 2: Get Over Yourself
  • Princeless, Vol. 7: Find Yourself
  • Princeless, Vol. 8: Princesses
  • Princeless, Vol. 9: Love Yourself

News & Interviews

“So, what you're saying is, just because a warrior is a woman doesn't mean they yhave to wear a chain mail bikini? Like, they could wear...real armor?” 7 likes