Start by marking “Dodsworth in New York” as Want to Read:
Dodsworth in New York

Dodsworth in New York

(Dodsworth #1)

Dodsworth wanted adventure. He wanted to see the world. He especially wanted to visit New York City. What he didn’t want was to be joined by a duck. A crazy duck. A duck that misbehaves. Young readers will laugh out loud at the duck’s silly antics as Dodsworth has the unexpected adventure of his life in the Big Apple . . . and beyond.
Published September 24th 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Dodsworth in New York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dodsworth in New York

Emily
Nov 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: learning-to-read
My son's homework every night, seven days a week, is to read for 15 minutes, and to record what he reads in a book log. This has proved to be a challenge for me. It's hard to find that much reading material for him that's at the right level. Well, not exactly true; there is the early reader section of my local library, with which I have become intimately familiar these last two months. Rather, the hard part is finding books there that don't make me want to tear my hair out with boredom. Apparent ...more
Chance Lee
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
This is a great little story with a wacky duck causing trouble for Dodsworth, who learns that having things go wrong is sometimes the best part of traveling. When he finds the duck throwing bread at a woman in the park, it cracks me up every time. The kids loved it at a read-aloud and demanded more of Dodsworth's adventures. Off to Paris!
Abigail
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone Looking for Entertaining Early Readers
Recommended to Abigail by: Emily
Longing for adventure and determined to see the world, Dodsworth sets out on a train journey to New York, from their to sail to Paris. First, however, he enjoys a delicious pancake breakfast at Hodges' Cafe, enduring the antics of Hodges' duck, who likes to throw food at the customer. Unbeknownst to Dodsworth, the duck has stowed away in his luggage, and he spends some time chasing after him, once in New York City. Will Dodsworth ever catch up with that duck, and send him back home, or will his ...more
Henry
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-readers
MCL. I like the song the duck sang. "Fluffy pancakes in the air. Pancakes, pancakes, everywhere!"
Kristel
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Tim Egan scores again with another book in his Dodsworth series. The mouse sets off for an adventure of his own making but Hodge’s duck interrupts his plans by stowing away in Dodsworth’s trunk! Easily one of the best examples of situational comedy in children’s beginning chapter books, in this book Dodsworth tours New York like a professional—simply by chasing all over the city looking for Hodge’s crazy duck. The duck is the quintessential selfish, nonchalant character and Dodsworth is a loyal, ...more
Lara's
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents & early readers.
Shelves: early-readers
Synopsis : Dodsworth wants to see the world. However, he gets more that he's bargained for when a crazy duck decides that he wants to see the world too...with Dodsworth.
Review : Dodsworth has worked very hard and dutifully saved his money planning for this blessed holiday. Ahhhh, freedom from responsibilities and the adventures of New York City await. But, wait..what's this? A duck, a singing, crazy, stowaway, pancake diner duck! Oh, no! The trip is in serious jeopardy of being ruined by someo
Dolly
Aug 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is the first book in the Dodsworth series by Tim Egan. It explains how Dodsworth first came to travel with a duck and describes their experiences in New York City.

We first discovered this series when we read Dodsworth in Tokyo, and I thought we would go back and read the rest of the series in order. We liked the story and the duck is very silly. Dodsworth is a bit stiff and proper, but then every comedian needs a straight man, right?

Overall, we thought this was an entertaining story and we
Kristine Hansen
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
While this book was just right for reading and had a lot of adventure, the illustrations never quite matched up. I mean Dodsworth is ALL OVER New York City and the storefronts or city blocks could have been from anywhere in the world really. I would have liked a little more attention to detail so I could have EXPERIENCED the city in the way that Dodsworth was.

Otherwise I liked it. The story was cute and funny and kept moving. I wish someone would mash up these books with the attention to detail
Kati
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Saw this series on the shelf at my public library and thought it looked very charming, so I brought "Dodsworth in New York," "... Paris," "... London," "... Rome," and "... Tokyo" home to read. I wish I'd found them even half as charming as they'd sounded when browsing those library shelves. I found the stories so basic and the duck so obnoxious as to be frustrating.
Allison
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When he meets duck
Rachel Meyers
I didn't love it or find it particularly cute, but my 5 year old liked it-especially duck's antics.
Esther May
For me this book was fine, but my seven year old gave this review. "This is the best book I have ever read and it is so funny. "
Michael Brown
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute story!

Great story for my 1st grader! Ready to read the next book in the series...
Love the characters in the book!
Ally Copper
Dodsworth longs for adventure, and he has decided he's going to seek it in New York City, Paris, London, and wherever he can go after that. Before he begins his trip, he stops for pancakes at his friend Hodges' cafe. At the cafe he runs into Hodges' duck, who is crazy and loves to throw food. Once Dodsworth has embarked on his adventure, he discovers that Hodges' duck has hidden away in his luggage. Instead of going where he wishes, Dodsworth has to chase the duck all over New York City. This an ...more
Sherry
"Dodsworth in New York" is a visual chapter book that will appeal to kids in 2nd and 3rd grade. I love the illustrations. I value the fact that its a chapter book that blends solid 2nd grade vocabulary with bigger words like Hodges, ruined, and excitement, as well as introducing domestic and foreign place names. Kids will enjoy the whimsical adventure of the duck tagging along uninvited, and they will also be introduced to the serial adventure, as the end of the story leads to the sequel "Dodswo ...more
Julie
Jan 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit
Very entertaining! I hope Dodsworth and the duck will go to Paris in a second book. My favorite thing is how the duck seems to be ruining Dodsworth's travels, but as Dodsworth dutifully hunts down the wandering duck, he finds many sights to enjoy that he would not otherwise have noticed. "Sorry he ruined your adventure," said Hodges. "Ruined it? He was the adventure," said Dodsworth. Well said!
Tammy
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
We love "Dodsworth in (place)" series.

Not only the story is entertaining but it is also educational; the book mentions famous places within the city.

It is best to read the series in order but the individual books can be enjoyed by itself (however, do read the "The Pink Refrigerator" and "Dodsworth in New York" in those orders, first!).
Michelle
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've been trying to update my early-chapter-book collection in my elementary school library. This is the first book which made me feel compelled to read the rest of the books in the series! i love the characters and couldn't wait to find out what happens next. So cute, plus kids learn about the touristy places of various large cities.
Kathy Ellen Davis
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-reader
I read the first one last,
so I'm just NOW finding out how Duck and Dodsworth got together.
I have to admit, it totally fulfilled my expectations!

I love all the things I love about the other ones (wacky story, great illustrations, fun monuments and landmarks...) but really love that it's the origin story of Duck and Dodsworth.

I hope they have many more adventures!

Vanessa
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. To make it even better it's one of the few books that can keep my toddler's attention.

Silly and entertaining. It would be a great book for a book report for an early elementary child. Teaches about New York attractions too, which is a reason I got it since we are taking a trip to NY for the first time since my son was three months old.
Amy Gibson
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-reader
My kids and I knew we'd like these comic easy readers from the first page:

Dodsworth wanted adventure.
He wanted to fly in a plane.
He wanted to sail on a ship.
He wanted to see the world.
But first, he wanted breakfast.

Charming, humorous offerings for young readers that withstand the parent read-aloud test.
Nicole
Jul 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: early-readers
Dodsworth wants to see the world: New York, Paris & London. Unfortunately he has a stowaway, a mischievous duck. This series should be read in on order, otherwise some of the duck's later antics seem mean, rather than silly.
Kellista
Aug 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: student-library
Such a cute, fun book to read to young children! This book is full of surprises and bright, exciting illustrations. The book is set up in "chapters" so its easy to put down and pick up again later. The book also has a cliffhanger ending that leads to Egan's next book, Dodsworth in Paris.
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Funny easy reader with short chapters. Dodsworth wanted an adventure. He wanted to travel and see the world. But, what he didn't want is a silly tag-a-long duck. Too bad, cause that's what he's got. And, now he's chasing that duck all around New York City! More travels are certainly in store.
Amy
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, childrens
Dodsworth in New York wasn't bad, and the kids listened to the story, but I don't really think it made too much of an impression on them. I found the book to be a little bit repetitive, but I did like the duck.
Amy Brown
Dec 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: chapter book reader
Shelves: k-3rdgrade
When Dodsworth sets out for adventure, including a stop in New York City before going to Paris, London, and beyond, he does not expect a crazy duck to stow away in his suitcase and lead him on a merry chase.
Angela
Nov 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Poor Dodsworth. He can't get away from that crazy duck! On the other hand, you never know where you'll find a friend--especially when you set off to see the world.
Amanda_DJ n' Zac
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book makes us want to read the other stories about Dodsworth! ;)
Emma (Miss Print)
Oh my goodness! An indeterminate animal in a bowler hat, a crazy duck, hijinks in NYC--what more do you need? I must read all of these books immediately.
Eileen
Apr 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Dodsworth plans an adventurous trip which turns out unexpectedly since a duck joins him. Good NYC book

• Bink & Gollie: Best Friends Forever
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
  • A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse: TOON Level 1
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • Ling & Ting: Not Exactly the Same! (Ling & Ting, #1)
  • Penny and Her Marble
  • Pigsticks and Harold and the Incredible Journey
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Turn the Page
  • Charlie & Mouse (Charlie & Mouse, #1)
  • A Birthday for Bear
  • Fly Guy vs. the Flyswatter! (Fly Guy, #10)
  • Boris on the Move (Boris #1)
  • A Pig, a Fox, and a Box
  • Tales for Very Picky Eaters
  • Fox & Chick: The Party: and Other Stories (Learn to Read Books, Chapter Books, Story Books for Kids, Children's Book Series, Children's Friendship Books)
  • Ballet Cat The Totally Secret Secret (Ballet Cat, #1)

Dodsworth (5 books)