Start by marking “The Adolescent” as Want to Read:
The Adolescent

Read Book* *Different edition

The Adolescent

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  4,127 Ratings  ·  211 Reviews
Nineteen-year-old Arkady Dolgoruky, the illegitimate son of a landowner, has difficulty establishing his personal identity amid the political and social upheavals of nineteenth-century Russia.
Published October 16th 2003 by Everyman (first published 1875)

Luís C.
Fourth of Dostoevsky's 5 novels streams (appeared between Demons and The Brothers Karamazov), The Adolescent is the least known and probably the least read of them.
The teenager of the title, Arkady Makarovich Dolgorouki, is the bastard of a lord, and the wife of one of his serfs, with whom he lives, although the husband is still alive. The book is a first-person account of a number of important events that have happened to the character and his entourage.
Arkadi had little knowledge of his parent
Deepthi
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Admirers of Dostoyevsky
4.5/5

"Dostoevsky gives me more than any scientist, more than Gauss." - Albert Einstein

Dostoyevsky knew how to rip open a human soul and leave it bare in front of his readers. What can I say about his understanding of human mind that haven't been said before? So, I will just stick to a brief review on this book and my experience reading it.

Firstly, 'The Adolescent' should not be compared to Dostoyevsky's other major works. This novel does not have the grand setting like 'Brothers Karamazov' nor d
Michael Finocchiaro
While not in the upper pantheon of Dostoyevsky novels, the Adolescent is nonetheless a literary tour de force loaded with political intrigue and some of the most enigmatic characters in his work. Once you have read Crime & Punishment, Demons, and Crime and Punishment, this one is required reading!
Ahmed
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
لو كان فيه 10 او حتى 100 نجمة كان خدها بكل سهولة

معرفش ازاي حرجع اقرا للكتاب "العاديين"، ا

عبقرية الى ابعد الحدود،
اخيرا كاتب ادى للانسان التعقيد الي يستحقه، مش شوية معطيات و معلومات بتاخدها في نوتة في اول القصة و البطل زي الروبوت بيتحرك على اساسها باقي القصة

الابطال مش اغبيا (و ديه حاجة باعشقها في القصص - السبب الوحيد الي ممكن يخليني اني اقرا لبطل غبي هي ان القصة تكون كوميدي) ، القصة 800 صفحة تقريبا بس محستش بذرة ملل طول القصة

القصة مكتوبة من 150 سنة تقريبا، بس في احيان كتيرة المراهق الي في القصة اح
Fernando
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Fiódor Dostoievski ha logrado en mí lo que ningún escritor pudo: liberarme del hechizo de Edgar Allan Poe. Hubo una época en que el genio de Poe logró que yo, más allá de tener mis preferencias y admirar a muchos escritores, no pudiera ejercer, en cierto modo, una libre reseña sin tomar como punto de partida o comparación (decisión errónea) su obra. Cuando conocí a Dostoievski, comencé a cambiar ciertas formas de pensar y “sentir” la literatura.
Cada una de sus novelas iba marcando en mí nuevas
Marius
Un roman mai deosebit scris de Dostoievski. Mă aşteptam la grozăvii nemaipomenite aşa cum mă obişnuise autorul în celelalte romane.

Dimpotrivă, aici nimeni nu este omorât, muşcat de ureche, pălmuit. Nici un scandal public, nici o copilă de 12 ani n-a fost siluită. Doar vreo 2 sinucideri 'colaterale', un pumn în cap şi o urecheală.

În rest, psihologie pură, n-am fost dezamăgit deloc.
Hadrian
Aug 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has been overlooked to an astonishing degree, even by fans of Dostoyevsky, and perhaps I could understand why. But it is not bad by any means - compared to the rest of his books, a merely interesting book can seem awful in comparison.

The plot concerns an adolescent (although the translation is still up for a fine-tuned debate) who is illegitimate and something about a mysterious letter. It is not exactly full of the grand philosophy and debate that Dostoyevsky employs, but what he does
Hakan
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
yirmi yaşında bir delikanlının duygu-düşünce eksenindeki notlarından ibaret bir roman yazmak demek karmakarışık, dağınık, çelişkili bir roman yazmak demek. dostoyevski bunu olgunluk döneminde yapıyor. hikayeyi geri plana alarak, akıcı, keyifli olmasını düşünmeden 600 sayfa yazıyor. en zayıf romanlarından biri ortaya çıkıyor sonuç olarak. suç ve ceza'yı, budala'yı geride bıraktıktan sonra bile isteye zayıf bir roman. neden?..çünkü, denebilir, dostoyevski "delikanlılardan nesiller doğar" deyip üç ...more
Erik Graff
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dostoevsky fans
Recommended to Erik by: Janny Marie Willis
Towards the very end of college I became involved with Janny, a precocious first year student. I was very impressed with her from the outset. Not only was she exceptionally well read, but she could read in Dutch and German as well as English, her family having moved often owing to her father's work as a government mathematician.

The relationship continued even upon my graduation and move to seminary in New York City. We spent part of the intervening summer together, corresponding the rest of the
Mike
Aug 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first foray into Dostoevsky, and I truly admired his grasp of adolescent psychology and his ability to accurately maintain Arkady's voice and character. His ambition, over-confidence, and firmness in principle are so spot-on. I loved that Dostoevsky keeps the plot twisting and turning so that, at any point, despite the protagonist's conviction, he is never correct in his conclusions.

That being said, I struggled with the greater theme: the discrepancy in ideology between generations. H
Stian
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the stuff you expect from Dostoevsky is here. As usual we have a build-up in Part 1, where we get acquainted with the story, the characters and so on, and we are slowly brought into it all. Naturally there is a really climactic last part to the book, and the final 50 or so pages are very intense!

There is one big difference between this novel and most of Dostoevsky's other novels, except for Notes From Underground, in that it uses a first-person narrative. This is interesting, and it's wo
Frankie
Mar 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russian
For many, The Adolescent fell short of the brilliance Dostoevsky displayed in other novels. I think of this novel as a slightly weak link in the chain of his character types. Dostoevsky felt it necessary to reveal the fatum (as Arkady puts it) of the Russian youth of the late 19th century. Until this novel, he had hinted at the fallibility of the inexperience, presumptuousness and even bitterness in the younger generation. In Demons, nihilists are the easily-swayed boys who reject the frying pan ...more
Lyra  Goga
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I was especially happy when, going to bed and covering myself with a blanket, I began, alone now, in the most complete solitude, with no people moving around and not a single sound from them, to re-create life in a different key.”
Shawn
Sep 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's even difficult to put into words what I think of this novel at this moment. As I was reading it, I would put it down and say "This is the craziest novel I've read." Or just "It's crazy." That is still my overwhelming sensation. For those of you who know Dostoevsky well, you will find everything here, and maybe somethings you didn't expect. It is absolutely unclear to me why so many critics and professionals just write this novel off. It is a fine novel, especially on the heels of reading De ...more
Kirsty
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fyodor Dostoevsky's The Adolescent was first published in Russia with the literally translated title of A Raw Youth in 1875, and is presented in Dora O'Brien's new translation by Alma Books. O'Brien has previously - and seamlessly - rendered many works of Russian literature into English, by the likes of Tolstoy and Turgenev. Dostoevsky feels like the feather in an already well-decorated cap. With regard to Dostoevsky's canon, The Adolescent is one of his later works, published just five years be ...more
Andrei Tamaş
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cu un fundal tipic dostoievskian, "Adolescentul" reprezinta o transfigurare a paradoxurilor tineretii, a influentelor si totodata a independentei ce se resfrange asupra tanarului initial candid.
Vittorio Ducoli
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Munitevi di carta e penna, signori. Ma prima levatevi il cappello

L'adolescente è un romanzo estremamente complesso, che a volte, anche a causa dell'edizione nel quale l'ho letto, mi è parso un po' confuso, coerentemente con lo stile dostoevskijano. L'edizione BIT che posseggo, oggi forse introvabile, non è fatta per agevolare la lettura di questo ponderoso romanzo: le pagine sono composte da un carattere piccolo, che soprattutto per chi come me è ormai afflitto da presbiopia, rende difficoltosa
Roberta
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok sinossi, stavolta hai vinto tu. Concordo sul romanzo "straordinariamente complesso: contorto, convulso, irritante", ammetto di non aver compreso buona parte dei drammi, mi sono persa nelle "grandi linee narrative precedenti e successive [che] si intrecciano, affiorano e riaffiorano" e non fatico a credere che "lì dentro ci sono almeno quattro romanzi".

Un consiglio: se vi state avvicinando a Dostoevskji lasciate questo romanzo per ultimo. Oggettivamente è pesante anche per chi già ama l'autor
أحلام المطيري
أصعب من قراءتها، محاولة كتابة رأي عنها.
طيّب.. رغم حدّة إصابة دوستويفسكي في رسم صفات المراهق (١٩سنة) بدءًا من شغفه وتعلّقه المسعور بفكرته، مرورًا بإصراره الصبيانيّ على حبّه لامرأة لاتبادله الشعور نفسه، وإلى الجهل والتوق الطائش للانتقام والظهور بمظهر الرجولة والأصالة والتسامح، باستمرار، و أمام كل من حوله، إلا أنه كان -أحيانًا كثيرة أخرى- يجعل المراهق يتصرف ويتكلم بشكل رصين وناضج جدًا إلى درجة قصوى، متى ما احتاج دوستويفسكي أن يُقال كلام معين أو يحدث حدث معين قد يخدم تحريك الأحداث إلى نقطة ما. ثم يع
duaa
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
تتجلى عبقرية دوستفيسكي في (المراهق) بجزئيه في أن صياغة هذه المذكرات جاءت وكأنها على لسان مراهق لم يبلغ العشرين بعد، بدون أي تعقيد صياغي أو أسلوبي. وبرأيي هذا ما يجعل الكاتب كاتباً حقيقياً مثلما يجعل الممثل ممثلاً حقيقياً. أن تُترك الذات تتوارى بعيداً وتُلبس الشخصية بكل أبعادها. الكتاب مثال جيد للتربية الذاتية للنفس.
Anda T.
Mar 23, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-finished
I do not enjoy his writing at all. Bores me to death. Lots of details that are repetitive and downright boring.
Fren
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Diciamo tra le tre e le quattro stelle; libro non di facile lettura: la struttura, caratterizzata da vaghe allusioni, comparsa di sempre nuovi misteri, colpi di scena, non permette al lettore di distrarsi o annoiarsi, anzi, veniamo costantemente invitati ad avere pazienza con la promessa di chiarimenti che verranno dati successivamente, facendo sì che le vicende si accumulino una dietro l'altra...e questo mi ha fatto apprezzare il romanzo
منال
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
هيفضل دوستويفسكي- بجانب مكانته شديدة الخصوصية عندي، هو أفضل وأعظم كاتب يقدر يخلق إيقاع سليم وهارموني جميل، وفي نفس الوقت يتمكن تمامًا من عنصر الزمن في الكتابة.
وهيفضل بردو الوحيد اللي تكون القصص القصيرة في الرواية، واللي بعيدة تمامًا عن حكاية الرواية، لا تقل عذوبة وجمالًا بأي حال عن الرواية نفسها. ألف رحمة ونور عليه.
MJ Nicholls
A really terrible novel from Dostoevsky. Overwritten, atrociously dull protagonist, endlessly indulgent prose. His lowest moment.
Lesle
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, read-in-2017
Fydor Dostoevsky, ‘The Adolescent,’ also called ‘Raw Youth’ is my first delve into a Russian Author.
He seems to have a way with hooking you to the next section. I almost alway did not stop at the end of the Chapter but would read the first page or two of the next. Parts of the novel was incoherent in some places and I would have to go back to totally understand what just happened.

An intriguing scene in the book, I thought, was the gambling scene, where all kinds of crazy things happen.
The acti
Manik Sukoco
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Adolescent, previously translated as A Raw Youth, came after all of Fyodor Dostoevsky's great novels except his masterpiece The Brothers Karamazov yet has long been considered minor. Indeed, it not only failed to enter the world canon but had long been hard to find in English before this recent translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky, the Russian to English translators now most in vogue. Pevear's Introduction seems determined to rescue the book from the critical gutter; he has ...more
Nick Tramdack
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, terrible ending.

58: Arkady Dolgoruky's voice is awesome, so convincingly nineteen: "I followed Kraft out. I wasn't ashamed of anything."
-72: perfect depressing detail: a voiceless nightingale.
-parallel plot setup: Arkady, who ambivalently wants to earn Versilov's love, possesses (?) a document that documents another child's (Katerina Nikolaevna's) lack of filial love...
-Dolgoruky's idea is an incredibly Nietzschean one. A classic expression of ressentiment and will-to-power... wit
Torsten
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
დოსტოევსკის დიდი რომანებიდან მხოლოდ "ყმაწვილი" არ მქონდა წაკითხული. რატომღაც მესმოდა, რომ არც არაფერი დამიკარგავს და ეს წიგნი არაა ისეთი ღრმა ფსიქოლოგიური სიღრმის მქონე, როგორც "დანაშაული და სასჯელი" და არც ისეთი ფილოსოფიური, როგორც "ძმები კარამაზოვები". ნაწილობრივ ეს ასეა, მაგრამ მხოლოდ ნაწილობრივ. სწორედ ყმაწვილში ჩანს ყველაზე მეტი სიცხადით, თუ რას წარმოადგენს დოსტოევსკის იდეა რუსეთისა, რუსი ადამიანისა, რომელიც სრულიად ახალი ტიპი იქნება და , რომელმაც "უნდა იხსნას ევროპა".
ვერსილოვი საუბრობს
Vrixton Phillips
When I started it, I thought it was amazing [even though some of the philosophy was a bit much for me at the adolescent age of 16] and I could relate to the main character because I grew up not knowing my biological father as well.

And as with most Dostoevsky books, from what I hear, there was plenty of city intrigue and he-said/she-said; it made for great reading.

And then I lost my copy.
Couldn't find it for 6 months or so.

So when I picked it back up, I was fairly lost. I finally got a grip on w
Never too Late to...: Buddy Read "The Adolescent, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky" 96 94 Jul 06, 2017 12:28PM
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect Page Count 3 25 Jul 21, 2015 09:28AM
  • The Enchanted Wanderer: Selected Tales
  • Seven Who Were Hanged
  • Black Snow
  • The Same Old Story
Fyodor Mikhaylovich Dostoyevsky (Russian: Фёдор Михайлович Достоевский), sometimes transliterated Dostoevsky, was a Russian novelist, journalist, and short-story writer whose psychological penetration into the human soul had a profound influence on the 20th century novel.

Dostoyevsky was the second son of a former army doctor. He was educated at home and at a private school. Shortly after the death
More about Fyodor Dostoyevsky...

“Some sleepers have intelligent faces even in sleep, while other faces, even intelligent ones, become very stupid in sleep and therefore ridiculous. I don't know what makes that happen; I only want to say that a laughing man, like a sleeping one, most often knows nothing about his face. A great many people don't know how to laugh at all. However, there's nothing to know here: it's a gift, and it can't be fabricated. It can only be fabricated by re-educating oneself, developing oneself for the better, and overcoming the bad instincts of one's character; then the laughter of such a person might quite possibly change for the better. A man can give himself away completely by his laughter, so that you suddenly learn all of his innermost secrets. Even indisputably intelligent laughter is sometimes repulsive. Laughter calls first of all for sincerity, and where does one find sincerity? Laughter calls for lack of spite, but people most often laugh spitefully. Sincere and unspiteful laughter is mirth. A man's mirth is a feature that gives away the whole man, from head to foot. Someone's character won't be cracked for a long time, then the man bursts out laughing somehow quite sincerely, and his whole character suddenly opens up as if on the flat of your hand. Only a man of the loftiest and happiest development knows how to be mirthful infectiously, that is, irresistibly and goodheartedly. I'm not speaking of his mental development, but of his character, of the whole man. And so, if you want to discern a man and know his soul, you must look, not at how he keeps silent, or how he speaks, or how he weeps, or even how he is stirred by the noblest ideas, but you had better look at him when he laughs. If a man has a good laugh, it means he's a good man. Note at the same time all the nuances: for instance, a man's laughter must in no case seem stupid to you, however merry and simplehearted it may be. The moment you notice the slightest trace of stupidity in someone's laughter, it undoubtedly means that the man is of limited intelligence, though he may do nothing but pour out ideas. Or if his laughter isn't stupid, but the man himself, when he laughs, for some reason suddenly seems ridiculous to you, even just slightly—know, then, that the man has no real sense of dignity, not fully in any case. Or finally, if his laughter is infectious, but for some reason still seems banal to you, know, then, that the man's nature is on the banal side as well, and all the noble and lofty that you noticed in him before is either deliberately affected or unconsciously borrowed, and later on the man is certain to change for the worse, to take up what's 'useful' and throw his noble ideas away without regret, as the errors and infatuations of youth.” 90 likes
“How does it come about that what an intelligent man expresses is much stupider than what remains inside him?” 35 likes