Start by marking “Le Sceptre d'Ottokar (Tintin #8)” as Want to Read:
Le Sceptre d'Ottokar (Tintin #8)

Le Sceptre d'Ottokar

(Tintin #8)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  8,688 ratings  ·  196 reviews
Alors qu'il se promène dans un parc avec son chien Milou, Tintin tombe par hasard sur une malette oubliée. Il décide alors de la ramener à son propriétaire, le professeur Hallambique, qui lui dit être un éminent sigillographe (quelqu'un qui étudie les sceaux).

Halambique est justement à la recherche d'un secrétaire pour son prochain voyage, qui doit le mener en Syldavie, af
Published July 1st 1999 by Casterman (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Le Sceptre d'Ottokar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le Sceptre d'Ottokar

Ahmad Sharabiani
Le sceptre d'Ottokar = King Ottokar’s Sceptre (Tintin #8), Hergé
King Ottokar's Sceptre (French: Le Sceptre d'Ottokar) is the eighth volume of The Adventures of Tintin, the comics series by Belgian cartoonist Hergé. Commissioned by the conservative Belgian newspaper Le Vingtième Siècle for its children's supplement Le Petit Vingtième, it was serialised weekly from August 1938 to August 1939. Hergé intended the story as a satirical criticism of the expansionist policies of Nazi Germany, in particu
Sam Quixote
King Ottokar’s Sceptre is one of only two Tintin books I surprisingly never read as a kid (the other being In the Land of the Soviets) and, having read it now, I can say I didn’t miss out on anything back then!

Set in the fictional country of Syldavia (I think it’s based on Albania), if the King doesn’t brandish his sceptre on St Vladimir’s Day, he must step down - and some nefarious neighbouring country is sending agents to steal the sceptre for just that to happen! Tintin stumbles across anoth
Brendon Schrodinger
In usual Tintin style everything is set up by mere coincidence. Tintin finds a briefcase in his local park that belongs to a Professor of sigillograpy, the study of seals - the stampy kind, not the animals. The Professor os travelling to the Eastern European country of Sylvia to study royal seals and Tintin accompanies him on the trip. But what happens when there is a theft of the royal sceptre? Only Tintin, Thomson and Thompson can save the day, albeit with a lot of screw ups and a lot of narro ...more
Maria Carmo
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
These adventure get more and more funny... King Ottokar's Scepter recovery had a main role for Milu! But in order to find out which exactly, you will have to read the book! Tin-tin goes on in his globe trotter activities, where he is also forced to face danger and malevolence... And our already customary friends, the Dupond and Dupont, continue to be completely absent minded, falling over and tripping all over the place and never understanding things at first sight...

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon, 7 Januar
Alireza
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, literature, other, tintin
از خوب های تن تن است. هم معقول شروع می شود، هم معماهای جذاب زیاد دارد واشارات سیاسی مناسبی هم در آن گنجانده شده.
David Sarkies
Our first journey into Syldavia
5 February 2012

There have been some who have suggested that this album is where Tintin is finally developed, though as I have suggested, I consider that album to be the Cigars of the Pharaoh. This album though develops a number of elements that are going in reappear in later albums, the most important being the country of Syldavia, as well as introducing the Milanese Nightingale, Bianca Castafiore.
Syldavia is a fictional country that Herge developed, and I suspec
Gary
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
irst published in French in 1939, and written at the time that Europe was under the thumb of totalitarianism: Hitler, Mussolini, and Stalin.
Tintin is taken through a sequence of strange vents to the mythical Kingdom of Syldavia, which we learn much about in this book. The drawings and information which bring this country to life : a combination between Zenda and Albania , are amazing .
A plot by Fascists based in neighboring Borduria is hatched to unseat King Muskar, involving the seizure of the
Sherrymoon
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since i am living wit a cute Shih Tzu girl Snowy is my principal actor in these comics. Excellent how Herge draws attention to that lovely dog! Of course i like tintin with his knickebockers too very much. As i was in the age of 8 to 10 years, we boys used to wear such knickebockers in wintertime! (* in the 50's)

Struppi-Milou-Snowy for ever!http://espacemilou.over-blog.com/albu...
Tetty Marlinda
#36 for 2018
Genre: Children Comic

Di buku ini Madame Castafiore muncul.
Harish Challapalli
Interesting book!! Very nicely narrated!! The book has some stuff which is not needed!! It gives some boredom feeling to the reader! The plot begins to unfold slowly but it can be guessed quite well by a regular reader!!

Certainly not the best of the franchise but a good read is definitely assured!!
it'chy
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soft
thompson and thomson steal the ending
Karel-Willem Delrue
'k Weet niet wie 't taaltje heeft bedacht van dit album, maar 't heeft iets.
Ashley Capes
Nov 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tintin
I felt Ottokar’s Sceptre was ‘only’ good rather than great.

It’s not that there are any clear faults – and we’re treated to another absent-minded professor, as Herge continued to warm up for Calculus’ eventual appearance – but the adventure was missing some tension for me. It might have been a case of expectations not quite being met, as I wanted a little more depth to the mystery of how the sceptre is stolen I think, more detail to that plot.

The premise I really enjoyed – the theft of a royal sc
Desiree Koh
Sep 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: funnies
When I was a little kid, I owned every Tintin comic book adventure and I read all of them, then re-read them all over again, laughing at the same jokes and used "Billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles" as my curse-phrase.

I am exploring the world of Tintin again after my Belgian jaunt, in the homeland of the artist Herge and where comics are highly regarded as literature. Beneath each vividly drawn and colored panel is a moral about the way the world lived in 1950.

In this chapter, Herge cr
Anuradha Alwis
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If my memory is correct this is the first TinTin book I read. I still can remember being lost within the pages of this book as a small child (I think I couldn't even read then). I loved the part when TinTin's plane was shot down and snowy walking down the red carpet majestically with the sceptre held in its mouth.
Biondatina
Tintin get again in trouble after finding a briefcase on a bench in the gardens. Tintin thinks that the main character Professor to whom the briefcase belonged, was kidnapping and the one Tintin accompanied to the mythical Balkan country is a clone. After a rough landing, getting in prison, falling in a trap, getting in trouble multiple times he investigates the robbery of King's sceptre.

My favorite scenes the one's with Snowy, especially when it walks on red carpet with the sceptre held in its
Andrew
Seems like a very typical Tintin book, not that that's a bad thing.

Tintin helps prevent a plot to overthrow the current King of a fictional Eastern European country.

Many hijinks and misadventures happen along the way in the typical Herge fashion.

Immie
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
En af min ynglings-Tintin.
Tom Loock
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Part 8 of my (intended) big re-read of the whole Tintin-canon after decades ...
I had read this one before - and enjoyed it maybe even more than the first time around because of the info found in Michael Farr's excellent 'Tintin - The Complete Companion' which I am reading parallel to the Tintin-books.

In this case Farr makes a good case to show how Hergé uses fictitious countries (in 1938) to comment on the volatile political situation and pretty much predicts the German attack on Poland by means
Sammy
Sep 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
My review, as posted in Tintin Books

I very much enjoyed rereading this album. Herge got the balance right here between real-world politics and the 'lighter' espionage and chase elements of the adventure. The chase sequences don't feel as gratuitous as they did in The Black Island, because they're tied in to the sceptre as the album's overarching plot device. And the realisation of Syldavia is marvelous: as a child, I'm sure I was mistaken into believing these were real countries. The crisply dra
Sara Forsberg
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Tintin and grew up reading all the books - but in Swedish. This is the first I've read in English, but it didn't really change my experience of it, probably because I know it so well. This is one of the more interesting and complex Tintin books but still one of my least favorite stories. It still gets 4/5 stars, though =). I love how Hergés adventures are so tied down in the real world with its complicated politics. This book takes place in Syldavia, one of two made-up countries in an oth ...more
Mike Jensen
Another enjoyable but ultimately disappointing adventure with Tintin. There are essentially three problems with this tale. The story is a cliché, the bumbling comic figures are not amusing and are a distraction since they barely figure in the plot, and an adventure this big needs more telling. More time was needed away from Tintin to show what was happening in other places with other characters for this tale to reach its potential. On the plus side are a likeable style and some really lovely art ...more
Santhosh
Oh for the good ol' times of visa-less travel!! Especially to made-up East European countries.

The plot is more mystery solving. Bianca Castafiore is a riot. Snowy starts playing a more prominent role as Tintin's sidekick. The rest is predictably, coincidentally, stumbly, Tintin!
Pinko Palest
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Δίνει εντυπωσιακά την ατμόσφαιρα του μεσοπολέμου και της επέκτασης της Γερμανίας σε βάρος των γειτόνων της. Δεν έχει όμως το σουρεαλιστικά παιχνιδιάρικο ύφος άλλων έργων της πρώτης εποχής (Πούρα του Φαραώ, το Σπασμένο Αυτί) και στέκεται με υπερβολικά πολύ σεβασμό στον βασιλιά της Συλδαβίας
Michael Gerald
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Tintin is swept into an intriguing case in a mythical Balkan-like country. The adventure is also a satire on fascism, as Herge takes a swipe on Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union for their aggression and bellicose behavior in those days.
Ana
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Primeiro livro de Tintin lido na sua versão original, uma experiência que irei certamente repetir. Sempre gostei destas aventuras, e depois desta experiência, fiquei ainda com mais vontade de ler (e reler) os restantes livros desta coleção.
Pilar
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, tintin, belgian
A good translation into Swedish from the original French edition.
Nabila Tabassum Chowdhury
এই বইয়ে এক ফোঁটাও এমন কিছু নাই যেটা আমি অপছনদ করেছি। :) ...more
Jess Newman
The first half of this book could be called "The many captures and escapes of TinTin"- it's basically a sequence of the young protagonist falling into one trap after another and getting out of it through a lucky stroke more than anything to do with his brains. The story picks up eventually once he finally gets to Syldavia, a fictional pastiche of Poland and Turkey which is rather interesting, and examined in detail for historic parallels in the version of the story that I have. The conspiratoria ...more
Keen
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

“You’re making a mistake Tintin!...No good ever comes of getting mixed up in other people’s business.”

This time the intrepid one finds himself in the fictitious eastern European country of Syldavia, and we get an amusing overview of the country, courtesy of the brochure Tintin reads on the plane over, which is well done.

And who says you never learn anything from Tintin books. I for one found out that apparently Sigillography, is the study of seals. This story runs along typical Tintin lines with
  • Asterix in Corsica (Asterix, #20)
  • Asterix and the Great Divide (Asterix #25)
Georges Prosper Remi (22 May 1907 – 3 March 1983), better known by the pen name Hergé, was a Belgian comics writer and artist.
His best known and most substantial work is The Adventures of Tintin comic book series, which he wrote and illustrated from 1929 until his death in 1983, leaving the twenty-fourth Tintin adventure Tintin and Alph-Art unfinished. His work remains a strong influence on comics

Tintin (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Tintin #1)
  • Tintin au Congo (Tintin #2)
  • Tintin in America (Tintin #3 )
  • Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin, #4)
  • Le Lotus bleu (Tintin #5)
  • The Broken Ear (Tintin, #6)
  • The Black Island (Tintin, #7)
  • The Crab with the Golden Claws (Tintin, #9)
  • The Shooting Star (Tintin, #10)
  • The Secret of the Unicorn (Tintin, #11)
“If! If! You can get 'round anything with 'if'.” 16 likes