Start by marking “Glorious Companions: Five Centuries of Anglican Spirituality” as Want to Read:
Glorious Companions: Five Centuries of Anglican Spirituality

Glorious Companions: Five Centuries of Anglican Spirituality

This wonderful compendium of religious biographies offers a look inside the hearts and minds of significant shapers of Anglican spirituality over the past five centuries -- Thomas Cranmer, John Donne, George Herbert, John Wesley, Dorothy Sayers, C. S. Lewis, Madeleine L'Engle, and many more.

Covering twenty-nine of the most influential Anglican figures from the sixteenth
Published December 20th 2002 by Eerdmans (first published February 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Glorious Companions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glorious Companions

Start your review of Glorious Companions: Five Centuries of Anglican Spirituality
John
This book is a compilation of twenty-nine "thinkers and spiritual guides" that have shaped the Episcopal Church. The majority worshiped, preached, wrote or taught within the Church of England, such as Thomas Cramner, Richard Hooker, and John Wesley while others, including William Porcher DuBose, Madeleine L'Engle, and Desmond Tutu operated in other regions of the Anglican Communion, respectively the United States and South Africa. Each luminary in the book includes a short spiritual biography, ...more
Nate
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
The author, an Episcopal priest, introduces the reader to diverse Anglicans/Episcopalians who have made an impact on the life of the church over the past 500 years. Each figure is given a short biographical sketch, followed by a couple of pages of short excerpts from his or her writings, with reflection questions at the end.
Benedict
Jan 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the Episcopal Church
Recommended to Benedict by: a seminary professor
The book functions by a basic device of putting forth a brief biography of an Anglican thinker (theologian, novelist, historian, etc) and then providing 5-10 pages of short quotations, usually a brief paragraph or sentence at a time. These are wonderfully insightful gems of the sort that bear reflection; I use this book mostly as a way of sort of centering a time of ruminating on the church, often while riding the train to work.

What I can't stress enough, though, is the introductory essay.
Tim Hoiland
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: anglican, biography, faith
One of my favorite things about being Anglican is the emphasis on being in communion with so many fellow believers across space and time. In this book, we meet 29 noteworthy Anglicans from the sixteenth century to now, from Canterbury to Kampala. Each chapter pairs a short bio with excerpts from their writings. I do feel like I gained some “glorious companions” by reading this book, but not all companions are equally glorious. Which is to say this is an uneven book, albeit an original one.
Charles Rouse
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I agree with the other reviews. It's probably of primary interest to Episcopalians and other members of the Anglican tradition.
The foundational theologians of the Church of England are here, Hooker, Cranmer, but so are diligent workers in the field, like Dorothy Sayers, and moderns, the wonderful Desmond Tutu.
I have looked into this book time and time again, and I still continue to do so. If you are genuinely curious, you can always go to the original sources for these figures of the Church,
Michael
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great for newbies to the Anglican Tradition. Briefly identifies, introduces, and informs the reader about five centuries of Christian luminaries in the tradition generated by The Church of England in its several (mainly English & American) expressions. It's strength is also its weakness, however. It does not go as deep as one might wish. But, having said that, it provides a wonderful agenda for further reading and reflection.
Nathan Lamb
Douglas
Mar 21, 2012
Crawfords444
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great reference book. I am reading parts for lent. Holy Companions consists of29 short biographies from Thomas Crammer, 1489 to 1556 through Desmond TUTU, 1931 to present/still living.
I began with Madeline L'Egle because I loved her A Wrinkle In Time. Now I want to read more of her books, after Lent. Right now I am reading four books.
Tim
Cody
Apr 30, 2014
James Linton
Dec 26, 2013

• For the Good of the Game: The Inside Story of the Surprising and Dramatic Transformation of Major League Baseball
  • Devotion
  • Prophecy (Giordano Bruno, #2)
  • The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules (League of Pensioners #1)
  • Heresy (Giordano Bruno, #1)
  • The Way of the Lord: Christian Pilgrimage Today
  • The Republic
  • On the Road with Saint Augustine: A Real-World Spirituality for Restless Hearts
  • The Angel of History
  • Flag Fen: A Concise Archæoguide
  • The Year of Our Lord 1943: Christian Humanism in an Age of Crisis
  • The Next Right Thing: A Simple, Soulful Practice for Making Life Decisions
  • While We're Far Apart
“According to Benedict's scheme, the community reads through... the entire book of Psalms every week. The monks are therefore exposed... to all the despairing, doubtful, bitter, vindictive, jingoistic, nationalistic, and seemingly racist passages in the Psalter. It is not that every sentiment expressed by a psalmist is admirable, but that in praying the Psalms, we confront ourselves as we really are. The Psalms are a reality check to keep prayer from becoming sentimental, superficial, or detached from the real world.” 2 likes