Start by marking “Tintin and the Picaros (Tintin, #23)” as Want to Read:
Tintin and the Picaros (Tintin, #23)

Tintin and the Picaros

(Tintin #23)

Tintin hears in the news that Bianca Castafiore, her maid, pianist and Thomson and Thompson, have been imprisoned in San Theodoros for allegedly attempting to overthrow the military dictatorship of General Tapioca, who has yet again deposed Tintin's old friend, General Alcazar. Tintin, Calculus and Haddock soon become embroiled in the accusations, and, travelling to San Th ...more
Published August 27th 1993 by Methuen Publishing (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Tintin and the Picaros, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tintin and the Picaros

Sammy
Sep 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic
My review from Tintin Books:

"As Napoleon said, 'Think of it, soldiers. Forty centuries look down upon you.'"
-- Captain Haddock to Calculus

I hadn't read "Tintin and the Picaros" since I was a kid, so it's arguably the completed album I know least. Returning to it, I found much to love. After the creative misstep that was Flight 714, Herge was very much back on track.

Of all the albums in the "Tintin" ouevre, "Picaros" is less clearly aimed at children. (Even the formula-defying The C/>"As
David Sarkies
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
South American Revolutions
27 February 2012

This is the last of the completed Tintin books and in a way does finally tie everything up. Granted, nobody ever lives happily ever after, but I do feel that it does round off and complete what I consider to be a ground breaking series of books that are incredibly funny and very entertaining. This album seems to follow on after the Castafiore Emerald as there are a few connections with the events in the previous album, however it appears that Flight
Dan
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Tintin stories for anyone who has read them and understands their history can't be viewed as anything other than groundbreaking. The beginnings of these stories have been around as long as the Lord of the Rings, the illustration and environments in the Tintin books are accurate and extremely detailed. Anyone who has spent even a little time exploring Herge (Georges Remi) can see the painstaking research and adversity he worked through to compose the world around Tintin. His ideas were ahead ...more
Katya Reimann
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Part of the interest in reading Tintin is thinking about how Hergé's attitudes changed over time. His rejection of some of his earlier portrayals (he is on record as categorizing "Tintin in America" as an "error of his youth") allow a reader to see this series as a product of a specific time and place--a product created by a writer who became more politically sophisticated as he gained in years and wisdom.

(re) Reading this episode directly after revisiting "The Broken Ear" is a case
Sam Julian
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pretty fun, though dismissive of serious topics (as Tintin is wont to do). The plot wraps up so cleanly it's borderline insulting, but hidden in the flippancy is some cynical and incisive commentary.

In the world of Hergé it's as if Tintin's goodness is so contagious that he makes the world better by his presence. He grabs a warlord by the ear and tells them to behave themselves and despite protest, they do. Thus Tintin can blamelessly aid a rebellious faction in an armed coup. No discussion of
Michael
Jun 21, 2015 rated it liked it
The final Tintin story (not counting the incomplete Alph-Art) goes out on something of a anti-climax. It's not a bad story in the Tintin canon (though not one of the best, either), but somehow I wanted something more from it. That said, I suppose the lack of a crescendo means that Tintin still lives in the mind, unchanging and ready for new adventures that I'll never see. Hmmm - that thought is actually quite comforting.

The most striking and thought provoking panel in the book (I thi
Kevin Quinley
Mar 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood
**-plot details for this review are borrowed from Wikipedia in the interest of full disclosure. I read this as a child but possess a lucid, while not photographic, recollection of the story.

Fitting end to the Tintin saga as the gang delves into a thorny political struggle in Latin America, emerging unscathed but finding no easy resolution. Here, the young reader is challenged to consider whether Tintin really embodies the hero saving his friends while massive corruption ensues. Herge
Maria Carmo
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone.
Tintin and Captain Haddock, as well as Milu and Professor Tournesol, meet their old friend General Alcazar and help him make a revolution against the dictator General Tapioca! In the mean time, they also free Bianca Casta Fiore, who has been jailed by the Dictator as a way to attract out friends back to his country. His plan to get our heroes killed falls asunder, and they take the opportunity of Carnival to render service to Alcazar, who thus regains power!

Maria Carmo,

Li
Norhan Omar
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The whole series of Tintin is very entertaining, thrilling and full of adventures with engaging stories and funny characters. My favorite is Captain Hadock
Biondatina
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Tintin and Captain Haddock read in the news that Bianca Castafiore, and the detectives Thomson and Thompson have been accused for treason and imprisoned in San Theodoros by Dictator Tapioca ! Our friends travel to the island to save their friends but Tapioca has plans! A trap to get them killed!!!
Tia
Sep 30, 2019 added it
Getting my Tintin fix.
Westminster Library
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tintin adventures have been in print approximately 40 years. The stories are fast moving in many different countries with a great cast of eccentric characters from the gruff sea captain to the hard of hearing genius and various friends along the way.

Find Tintin and the Picaros at the Westminster Public Library.
Gazelle
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
As the baby of the family I torn this one into pieces, as a result, when I grew up and learned to read by my own the remaining pieces left me wonder about the ending of the story. Now I got to read it after 25 years and I have to say it's the best of the series. It shows the circle of revolution in the militarist countries in a smart fun way and make you smile when it keeps reminding you how it can really be.
Chris
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I used to read Tintin when I was in grade school. I saw the new movie and liked it a lot and decided to re-read the Tintin series. I still like like it.
Thomas
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic Tintin full of action, adventure, bandits, naughty little generals and a big bang!
Sochika
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Not quite the Tintin adventure I usually watch/ read. Honeslty it's because of that pants... I believe this is the only time I've seen him wear those kinds of parts in an adventure. Why? We'll never know.

This adventure is the least exciting one for me as you know Tintin adventure standards, we should've gotten weird elements like a Yeti, aliens, or whatever mythological creatures they have there. But nope. They visited the pyramid but nothing unusual was there so that bummed me out. Even the en
Tom Loock
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
The second but last part of my big re-read of the whole Tintin-canon after decades ...
I had not read this one before, .
This is - fittingly for the swansong* - the usual type of Tintin-adventure involving a journey, villains, a jailbreak and it also has at least cameos of most supporting characters from the previous books.
Odd to see Tintin with brown bell-bottom jeans and a CND-sticker on his crash helmet. Also, the appearance of Tintin-colleagues Asterix and Mickey Mouse.
Gareth
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good story this one, though not at the same level as some of his previous work. The story isn't as convoluted or suspenseful as other stories, with the humour stepping up to take it's place. While I've always enjoyed the humour, especially with Haddock, I think overall this story doesn't have quite the right balance compared to other ones. Good to see a few of the recurring characters again, and for the final complete adventure it doesn't leave any loose strings at least.
Eva
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-bad
3.5/4
I miss reading Tintin for the first time. Still, though, my familiarity hasn't made any of them less enjoyable, by any means. The Captain is one of my very favorite characters, and I always wondered if he did stop his drinking after this, but...well, the Captain is very particular with his drink. 😂

I laughed so hard at this this time reading:

Captain: "Saved by the bell, eh?"
Thomson: "Oh? I didn't hear it, with the music..."
Diogo Muller
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, digital
This is the last official Tintin story, and quite a way to finish it! It has a great mix of adventure and politics. While pretty much a sequel to one of Tintin first books, this works great on it's own. We also get a lot of characters and cameos from other stories.

Very recommended for fans, and a worthy final book to he series.
Kamalika Talukdar
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i completely forgot to update my reading status lmao. i finished the comic ages ago and i forgot i was supposed to review it. why am i lazy bum?

anyways leaving the self-berating aside, i had a lot of fun reading this latest adventure. and I've discovered that the tintin experience for me is incomplete without the duo of tintin and haddock.
highly reccomended
Donna
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun series. I’m reading it in Spanish while my friend reads it in French. Since the original language of this series is French my friend is able to point out some of the things that don’t make sense in Spanish such as why the professor misunderstands what’s being said. In French the actual word and the one he thinks is said rhyme. Still it’s an entertaining series and very funny.
Vaishnavi Ramesh Jayaraman
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tintin, Captain Haddock and Professor Calculus are stuck in the fictional Latin American nation of San Theodoros and are facing charges against them. The plot of how they escape and redeem themselves makes for a great read!
Slow Man
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
The whole gang is back. This one should be a classic.
Tristan
A much treasured childhood classic.
Rucha Gadre
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Hadn’t read a Tintin book in ages!... Not sure how why i fell in love with this series (maybe need to read a few more)
Fabi
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love it!!! It reminds me so much of my childhood!!
Joyce
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
even without taking alph-art into consideration tintin ends very openly, what a wonderful one
Baie
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 stars
Roohul  Poolak
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full of excitement, action and adventure, this episode is just a masterpiece! With General Alcazar starring in this part, the book is a complete creation!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Asterix and the Great Crossing (Asterix, #22)
  • Asterix and Son (Asterix #27)
Georges Prosper Remi (22 May 1907 – 3 March 1983), better known by the pen name Hergé, was a Belgian comics writer and artist.
His best known and most substantial work is The Adventures of Tintin comic book series, which he wrote and illustrated from 1929 until his death in 1983, leaving the twenty-fourth Tintin adventure Tintin and Alph-Art unfinished. His work remains a strong influence on comics, partic

Tintin (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Tintin #1)
  • Tintin au Congo (Tintin #2)
  • Tintin in America (Tintin #3 )
  • Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin, #4)
  • Le Lotus bleu (Tintin #5)
  • The Broken Ear (Tintin, #6)
  • The Black Island (Tintin, #7)
  • King Ottokar’s Sceptre (Tintin, #8)
  • The Crab with the Golden Claws (Tintin, #9)
  • The Shooting Star (Tintin, #10)