Start by marking “Blessed are the Peacemakers: Christ's Teachings of Love, Compassion, and Forgiveness” as Want to Read:

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  244 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
"For two millennia, artists, social and cultural activists, politicians and philosophers, humanists and devoted spiritual seekers have all looked to the sayings of Jesus for inspiration and instruction. While at work on another project, Wendell Berry began to note the actual teachings of Jesus about understanding, compassion, and forgiveness. And he began to wonder how a l ...more
Published October 4th 2005 by Counterpoint LLC (first published October 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Blessed are the Peacemakers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blessed are the Peacemakers

Brian
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
"How could a community founded on compassion and forgiveness become enflamed by intolerance?" For someone who has battled faith most my life, questions like this are the norm. I never doubted the wisdom or inspiration of Jesus's sayings, but rather the sincerity of so many who profess to follow them. In this short, lovely little book, Wendell Berry has selected some of Jesus's sayings on Love, Compassion and Forgiveness. The book closes with an essay by Wendell, 'The Burden of the Gospels'. It i ...more
Michael
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
This book took me less than a half an hour to read. I've been wanting to read something by Wendell Berry for quite some time now, so I took a shot at this one and got it on my Kindle. Essentially, Berry goes through the Gospels and finds all of the things that Jesus says about peace, forgiveness, love, and compassion. Then, the author writes a brief reflection on these passages. Berry asks anyone who professes to be a Christian to answer two questions: first, if you knew nothing at all about Jes ...more
Macaria Corbett
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Berry tells us that the difficult passages of the Bible are not difficult because they are hard to understand. This small work is written with great fidelity to the Scripture as it is written. It is a very readable and worthwhile little book written by a man who generally only discusses theology through the guise of character and plot.
Maggie
Sep 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Stunning. The author's intro floored me.
Sara
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is 68 pages, so not much ground is covered, but it's still profound. Basically, Berry gives a short introduction about how Christians are not following the admonitions of Jesus regarding peace and forgiveness, then cites the main passages of each gospel that address this point, then gives some follow-up thoughts. It's more than worth reading.

Some of my favorite lines:

"Love is evidently not just a feeling but is indistinguishable from a willingness to help, to be useful to one another."

"Red
Genjiro
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wendell Berry's commentary has always been inspirational and instructive, and this summation into the teachings of Christ is no different. There is a deep devotion to peace and love based on the Gospels which every warmongering politician today would do good to reflect upon.
Michael Dunn
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent short read.

“To the offer of more abundant life, we have chosen to respond with the economics of extinction.”

“When Jesus speaks of having life more abundantly, this, I think, is the life He means: a life that is not reducible by division, category, or degree, but is one thing, heavenly and earthly, spiritual and material, divided only insofar as it is embodied in distinct creatures. He is talking about a finite world that is infinitely holy, a world of time that is filled with life tha
Joshua Carney
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
this is an essay really ... with an introduction.

the bulk of the book is Berry's selection of peacemaking texts from the gospels.

I was very excited when I looked at the table of contents, thinking that Berry would actually give commentary on the individual gospels. In his essay at the end, he does, kind of.

quick read. that being said, like anything he writes, it worth reading.
Claire B.
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Eh. Some theological red flags And annoyingly the entire point of his essay seemed to be derailed at the end by lament for the state of the environment. Not sure it worked as a cohesive piece of writing.
Eduardo Folster
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s an excellent essay to start thinking about the relation between a biblical theology of creation and the Sermon on the Mount (abundant life = the way of Love). This was the first book I read from Wendell Berry, certainly not the last one!
Tanner Cooper-Risser
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read! I found it be especially fitting to today and all that is going on in our world around us.
Dave Minor
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short but rich.
Heidi Archer
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Two short essays bookend this small tome.

Middle part consists of the verses about compassion, love, and forgiveness from the four gospels, King James Version.

I'll be reading this more than once.
scott
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
I've been reading this book aloud to my newborn daughter. (Not that she might comprehend, but to balance out all the "parentese" she hears. That is, to expose her to the full pulsation of gently rolling syllables, fluently played.) In the process I was refreshed by this convenient collection of Jesus' sayings on peacemaking. To the collection's credit it also contains those sayings of Christ which seemingly counter or condition the peacekeeping ethic. Another plus is the closing essay "The Burde ...more
Matt
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: peace
This is a gathering of excerpts from the four Gospels, book-ended by an introduction and essay from Wendell Berry. I think this is a great approach to writing on this subject (and I suppose I really ought to give five stars to a book that mostly contains the words of Christ), but I was hoping that Berry's analysis would go a little bit deeper. His concluding essay, though very interesting, really only ambled around the subject at hand.
Megan
May 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Interesting analogy of the teaching of Christ. This book took all the places where Christ talks about loving your enemies or making peace. That is followed by an expository about why wars are a sin. Not sure I agree with the author... didn't God command the children of Israel to kill the people before they took the land in Canaan? The author did give some interesting insight into day by day living - are you making your family into enemies by the way that you treat them?
dthaase
Jun 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
From the back of the book: "This book collects the sayings of Jesus selected by Wendell Berry, who has contributed two essays of introduction and context. Here is a way of peace, a challenge offered by the greatest spiritual teacher in the West, a book of inspiration, of prayerful compassion, and we may hope a call to action at a time when our country and the world it once led stand at a dangerous crossroads."
Kirsten Kinnell
May 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is mainly a compilation of verses from the Gospels on, you guessed it, love, compassion and forgiveness. Although those are always interesting and relevant, I especially enjoyed the essay at the end. I have a feeling this is the beginning of a love affair of sorts-- it's like meeting someone new who somehow says exactly how you've been feeling. Ah, the thrill!
Dawn
Nov 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Jordan
Jul 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This book is only like 70 small pages. You could read it in half an hour. There's a brief intro then Berry goes through each gospel and highlights the verses where Jesus speaks about mercy and love (as the subtitle would imply). Then he reflects on it for about 20 pages. It was a very pleasant read.
Benjamin Sauers
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
At least one of the essays in the book was taken from "The Way of Ignorance". In that sense it was a little disappointing. But the essay is a good one and well worth a second (third, fourth......) read. The rest of the book (if you can call it that at 80pg) is classic Berry.
Scott
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith-wisdom
Beautifully "gathered and introduced" by this wise and tender soul. A gentle and plain reminder of the profound burden of the Christian life: compassion and self-giving and finding the life of self in the life of the other.
Jamin Bradley
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good short read, about no longer than a few blog posts. Really, the intro and outro has some of the most powerful quotes in the book. A good portion of the book is the Sermon on the Mount itself. Worth a quick read. Doesn't take long at all.
J. Alfred
May 21, 2011 rated it liked it
This is mainly a compilation of all of Jesus' teachings on how peace is better than violence. The teachings are sandwiched between two excellent essays by Berry, both of which are strong, challenging, and make me want to read more of him (he's a poet as well as an essayist).
Milan Homola
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Nice tiny little book that gives you some thoughts to chew on
Brian Tucker
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lovely!
Pam
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Asks two questions of us we might rather not answer.
Jen
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
very short. powerful introduction/conclusion essays. one I might read once a week for a while, as I'd like to be a peacemaker.
Preston Stell
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Intense introduction and conclusion based upon Jesus' teaching in the Gospels concerning keeping peace. This is a serious challenge to the American "Christian" today.
Heather
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian, nonfiction
Not what I expected: this is a selection of quotations from the Bible, not Berry's interpretations of Christ's teaching.
  • Anarchy and Christianity
  • Jesus and the Disinherited
  • Simplicity: The Art of Living
  • Religion in Human Evolution: From the Paleolithic to the Axial Age
  • Beyond the Post-Modern Mind: The Place of Meaning in a Global Civilization
  • The Raft is Not the Shore: Conversations toward a Buddhist/Christian Awareness
  • God of the Possible: A Biblical Introduction to the Open View of God
  • An Essay in Aid of a Grammar of Assent
  • Freedom of Simplicity: Finding Harmony in a Complex World
Wendell Berry is a conservationist, farmer, essayist, novelist, professor of English and poet. He was born August 5, 1934 in Henry County, Kentucky where he now lives on a farm. The New York Times has called Berry the "prophet of rural America."
“Especially among Christians in positions of wealth and power, the idea of reading the Gospels and keeping Jesus' commandments as stated therein has been replaced by a curious process of logic. According to this process, people first declare themselves to be followers of Christ, and then they assume that whatever they say or do merits the adjective "Christian".” 144 likes
“We don't need much imagination to imagine that to be free of hatred, of enmity, of the endless and hopeless effort to oppose violence with violence, would be to have life more abundantly. To be free of indifference would be to have life more abundantly. To be free of the insane rationalizations for our desire to kill one another-that surely would be to have life more abundantly.” 1 likes