Start by marking “Nutrient Power: Heal Your Biochemistry and Heal Your Brain” as Want to Read:
Nutrient Power: Heal Your Biochemistry and Heal Your Brain

Nutrient Power: Heal Your Biochemistry and Heal Your Brain

Psychiatry has made great advances in the past fifty years but needs a new direction. Today's emphasis on psychiatric drugs will not stand the test of time. Recent advances in epigenetics and the molecular biology of the brain have provided a roadmap for the development of effective, natural, drug-free therapies that do not produce serious side effects. Psychiatric ...more
Published August 14th 2012 by Skyhorse Publishing (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Nutrient Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nutrient Power

Start your review of Nutrient Power: Heal Your Biochemistry and Heal Your Brain
MomToKippy
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
Here is an intersting article about this book:

"Environmental factors such as radiation, temperature, food or lack of food, can switch genes on or off. Certain molecules within foods (vitamins, minerals, amino acids, essential oils) can do this reliably. To the dismay of the pharmaceutical industry, Walsh says the future of behavior therapy with nutrition lies in epigenetics – the nutritionally modifiable aspect of our genes.

Dr. Walsh says even the most
Ita
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nutrient therapy was founded on the discovery of distinct biochemical differences between those who suffer from a mental illness, and those who do not. It is a science which depends on the measurement of minerals, vitamins, and other naturally occurring substances in blood and urine. William J Walsh has been doing this for over thirty-five years, and has collected a database from over 30,000 patients. He, and others working in this field, have been able to relate biochemical changes to symptoms ...more
Leana M
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good for subject matter discussed. This was recommended by my daughter's MD who is also very holistic in her approach. My daughter was diagnosed with Pyroluria a genetic blood disorder with zinc/ B6 deficiency that is best treated with nutrient therapy. This book was very helpful in that condition and many others that are well known conditions in which nutrient therapy has been proven to be effective. A treatment approach that is not very well known perhaps due to our dependency on ...more
William Nist
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: medical
Important book on the relationship of mental health to nutrition. Very specific nutritional deficits and imbalances are identified, and the chemistry of remediation is discussed.

I got some very specific ideas on altering my food and supplement regimen to help anxiety issues. The book mentions food/supplements to avoid if suffering from these diseases.

Depression, Alzheimer's, Autism, etc are also analyzed in nutritional terms.

Jed Merrill
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-aware
This book is great for people who deal with or have family members or friends with ADHD, autism, schizophrenia, Alzheimer's, etc. If you like this book, also consider Grain Brain, which talks about the threat modern hybridized wheat poses to brain health through inflammation after crossing the blood brain barrier.
Deanna
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think everyone would benefit from reading this excellent book. The first few chapters are technical and scientific and a little hard to get through for a layperson, but it is important to understand brain chemistry on a high level so that you can comprehend the rest of the book.

After the first few chapters, the author focuses on one condition for each chapter. I liked that approach. It was fascinating to learn more about these illnesses and how natural supplements and a change in diet can
Fabio De Bernardi
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Hadn't I read "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre just before this book, I would have given it 4 stars, because the theories exposed seemed reasonable, fascinating and with enormous potential to cure millions of people. However, not being a man of science, I can't tell whether these theories are enlightened, already discredited or anything in between. And to add some good old conspiracy theory, how could big evil pharma ever allow natural treatment to impact their hefty profits? Unfortunately I don't ...more
L
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
THE DIGGING CONTINUES!! Fascinating stuff on Neuro Nutrigenetics; the therapeutic impact of nutrition on gene expression for improving or eradicating such issues as autism, bipolar disorder, Alzheimer's, schizophrenia, ADHD, depression, and anxiety. I learned a lot more about the biochemistry in this book than any other so far and it gives me a lot of hope in natural solutions to these problems.
Aubree Deimler
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wellness
This book was filled with interesting information about the role of genetics and mental illness. Dr. Walsh combines history, stories and case studies to better explain a complex subject. He provides hope and light for the future of nutrient therapy.
David
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-care
Fascinating exploration of the next chapter in psychology: the biochemical.
Glenn Humplik
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent analysis of the effect of nutrients and food on mental health.
Kerry
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although parts of this book were a bit beyond my basic understanding, having never taken biochemistry, I enjoyed reading it and learning about the possibilities of nutrients improving the lives of many who suffer from neurological problems. The book includes a good glossary as well as appendices that go a bit further to help withy clarifying some points. I believe there must be a more natural methodology than the constant drugging of the population, and this book addresses that. The author does ...more
David Reed
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an owner's manual for human brains. A must-read for any human who has a brain and wishes to keep it optimally functioning, or anyone who cares about a human who has a brain. Recognition that we are all biochemically unique and require individualized treatment and maintenance is something Western medicine is willfully ignoring in its vain quest for universal light-switch-type drugs.
Tim Farley
Oct 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Started of being intrigued but looked up William Walsh the author and could not find any studies, even on his own website there was unpublished findings and PowerPoint presentations.
My skepticism started rising half way through the book and it certainly was warranted.

He makes claims without any peer reviewed studies, this is extremely poor form for a “scientist”.
Joy Harris
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Joy by: friend
Shelves: misc
I started out to just skim this book to please a friend, but it was not at all the usual scam I expected. Dr Walsh is an academic with years of experience with 30,000 patients and explains how various conditions can be cured, or at least improved, by testing for what nutrient is missing in the brain and correcting the deficiency. He begins by carefully explaining how the brain works in technical, but easy to understand words, and builds from there to cover depression, autism, ADHD, Alzheimers ...more
Jason Williams
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Beautiful Learning Experience

Rarely do I find a book with so much (need to know) information that is absolutely critical to sustaining life. Now that I have read this, I will start my next journey by going through every page earmarked for further learning. And, I have earmarked many pages!
Stephen Molesky
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling Read

A very interesting and well delivered explanation of the complex issues of mental health. The importance of proper diagnosis and responsive nutritional application is thoroughly explained.
Lp
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recently-read
Dr Walsh is incredibly brilliant, insightful and so inspiring. His dedication to the greater good and helping those who are struggling to heal is just incredible. I love Dr Walsh, this book and his work.
Lissa
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Import info for people with many different kinds of mental/emotional challenges. Worth checking out. Would have rated it a 5, but had audio version and I found the narrator's voice difficult to hear. Eventually, I did get used to the odd inflection and tonation.
Robin
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having had my own experiences where tradition medicine did not help but holistic care and nutrients accomplished miracles, I am incredibly intrigued by Dr. Walsh’s work and ideas. I believe that there is a lot to be gained by exploring his protocols.
Francesca Ricciardi
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very powerful stuff.
There is difinitely something to this... everyone should be aware of the powerful connection between mind and body.
Renee
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Super interesting read on the role nutrition and genetics play in mental health.
Christina Neely
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good information
Miriam Z.
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quite possibly the driest book I have ever read...but so very, very important.
Lisa
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: healthy-eating
Interesting information!
Dave Gevaux
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Required reading for sufferers of depression, anxiety, OCD, etc.
Jeff
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Fascinating topic, exciting research, poorly written book. 5/10
Anni
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating read. Likely to be interesting (and relevant) to everyone for one reason or another.
Louis
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Way too technical for me.
Skye LeFevre
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the most life changing books I've ever read. I have implemented Dr. Walsh's nutrient recommendations for depression and it is helping enormously. It has been very eye opening to understand that mental health can be improved with the proper nutrients.

• Dirty Genes: A Breakthrough Program to Treat the Root Cause of Illness and Optimize Your Health
  • Medical Medium Life-Changing Foods: Save Yourself and the Ones You Love with the Hidden Healing Powers of Fruits  Vegetables
  • Medical Medium Thyroid Healing: The Truth behind Hashimoto's, Graves', Insomnia, Hypothyroidism, Thyroid Nodules  Epstein-Barr
  • Medical Medium: Secrets Behind Chronic and Mystery Illness and How to Finally Heal
  • The Biology of Belief: Unleashing the Power of Consciousness, Matter and Miracles
  • Perfect Health Diet: Regain Health and Lose Weight by Eating the Way You Were Meant to Eat
  • Brain Maker: The Power of Gut Microbes to Heal and Protect Your Brain for Life
  • Hashimoto's Protocol: A 90-Day Plan for Reversing Thyroid Symptoms and Getting Your Life Back
  • Trace Elements and Other Essential Nutrients: Clinical Application of Tissue Mineral Analysis
  • Enzymes: Go with Your Gut: More Practical Guidelines for Digestive Enzymes
  • Quit Like a Millionaire: No Gimmicks, Luck, or Trust Fund Required
  • Medical Medium Liver Rescue: Answers to Eczema, Psoriasis, Diabetes, Strep, Acne, Gout, Bloating, Gallstones, Adrenal Stress, Fatigue, Fatty Liver, Weight Issues, SIBO & Autoimmune Disease
  • Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom
  • Blindsided
  • The Poor, Misunderstood Calorie: Calories Proper
  • Everything You Need Know About Enzymes: A Simple Guide to Using Enzymes to Treat Everything from Digestive Problems and Allergies to Migraines and Arthritis
  • Dissolving Illusions