Start by marking “The Very Hungry Zombie: A Parody” as Want to Read:
The Very Hungry Zombie: A Parody

The Very Hungry Zombie: A Parody

In this parody of a children's classic, a very hungry zombie eats his way through a variety of his favorite foods, including clowns, astronauts, rock stars, fingers, and brains.
Board book, 26 pages
Published October 16th 2012 by Skyhorse (first published August 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Very Hungry Zombie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Hungry Zombie

Start your review of The Very Hungry Zombie: A Parody
Jem
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
At first, this book scared the shit out of me:

description

Then I realized it's just a hilarious parody. Dad still had to clean up the floor, though.
David Sarkies
Sep 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Not Children
Recommended to David by: My Bible study group
Shelves: comedy
Surely this isn't a kid's book
23 September 2015

One of the good things about having friends with little kids is that you can find some rather peculiar books scattered about their house. When I say little I'm actually mean really, really little (she's only just started walking, and upon discovering how to walk, she has also discovered how to explore, which can be a bit of headache at times, but then again I've been walking for quite a long time now and I still seem to have this desire to explore)
Krista
2019: re-read, we take this out and read it every year for Halloween! Review rating hasn't changed great book.

2016: My 10 year old son wanted this book. He used to love Eric Carle as a little kid. He loved this book. The illustrations are spot on when it comes to Eric Carle. The story is super cute for a kid who loves zombies like he does. Same exact story line as The Hungry Caterpillar, the caterpillar is replaced with a zombie. The zombie rises out of his grave and is hungry, then eats through
Timothy Ferguson
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
The publisher suggests that the book is unsuitable for small children. I must say I entirely disagree. Last night my daughter picked up The Very Hungry Caterpillar by mistake, put it back, and asked me to help her find The Very Hungry Zombie instead. Being only one, she has no particular concept of horror, and she quite likes the interactive bit in the middle.

Interactive bit? The bit where you say "He ate one ear." and she points to her ear, the "and he ate one eye" and she points to her eye, a
Brad
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: funny, z-2012
As evidenced by the title and cover, this is a parody of Eric Carle's classic story of the caterpillar. It was ok, but just ok--the only part that actually got an out loud reaction from me was the very last page (view spoiler). The art style and physical construction of the book (including holes in pages) was spot on. Cute, but again just ok. ...more
Carmen Jenner
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
He he he! This one completely tickled my fancy! Review to come!
Peacegal
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Zombie mania is on the wane, but when this book was published, it's probably not surprising the walking dead shuffled into the increasingly crowded field of children's book parodies.
The illustrations are humorous and entertaining and capture the feel of the original--those this version is not for toddlers!
Deanna
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My pre school students love this book! I always teach them not to be scared of creepy things/books/movies/ etc. They will read the books to themselves as well which makes me very happy. Also, if you teach the human body/organs this book is great to teach with it. Again, my students love this book!
Jayne Pixton
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Haha cute, but the original is obviously better
J
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute!
Miriam
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i just loved this parody! kids who enjoy eric carle and have a sense of humor will read this again and again.
Katy Noyes
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations are spot-on Carle, it's brilliantly done. If you squinted you might think it was one of his children's books.

But it's not of course, and it's best out of their hands for a few years yet.

This isn't a hungry caterpillar innocently munching through fruit. With frequent use of similar language and word patterns, a very hungry zombie munches through tongues and feet, rock stars and clowns in his quest for a full stomach.

This would make an ideal stocking filler / birthday gift for a
Mehsi
I saw this book on Thinkgeeks, and just had to read it. A parody on The Very Hungry Caterpillar? Now with Zombies? Yes, yes, yes please!!!!

The format is pretty much the same, there are holes (this time through heads and also through body parts) which make the book really fun. The story was fun, though I can feel a sequel must be around or is coming soon. The ending was a bit open, and I would love a book where our Very Hungry Zombie will eat up some more people.

Is this book for kids? Sure, it is
Becky B
A zombie awakes with a terrible appetite and eats his way through several groups of people he comes across until his appetite is fully satiated by a pile of brains.

The version of this I read had a sticker on the front that said "Not for human children" for good reason. This is definitely a satire aimed at teenagers or adults. The pictures aren't overly gory or anything, but let's just say you could probably scar a child for life with this one. As an adult who understands dark humor, I did enjoy
Jeff
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kate, Kate, Jeff, children's librarians everywhere
Recommended to Jeff by: found it in the bookstore
Joining the ranks of Go The F* To Sleep! and Good Night, Bush is this spot-on spoof of Eric Carle's cherished The Very Hungry Caterpillar. From the color palette to the toy book construction (a hole in the page, pages of varying sizes) to the rhythm of the text, this adults-only parody will have you laughing and being nostalgic all at the same time.

A masterly rendition, oddly sweet, and so very funny.
Patrice Sartor
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
I love [The Very Hungry Caterpillar] and I like zombie stuff, so I thought that I would love this too. While the artwork is spot-on, and the layout nicely mimics the Carle title it parodies, I just didn't find it funny or entertaining. I almost put it down as a kid's book too, but didn't since there weren't any youngsters around to test it on. It could provide a way to learn about parts of the body, I guess, though your child may ponder why these things are being *eaten*.
Naomi
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
1-star if you take into consideration the not-for-kids warning. It most certainly is for children. Far less terrifying than Grimm fables and a good way to ensure toddlers develop a healthy fascination of flesh-eating zombies that should last for years to come.
Maria
Oct 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Clever, but a little forced.
Beth Wood
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: funny
SO wanted to love this book. Alas, not very good. Illustrations great, very Carle-like, but prose tries way too hard.
Jaime
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
It was cute and funny.
Kristin
Feb 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: humor, parody
Not as funny as I expected.
Liv
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: humor
A parody of the classic, The Caterpillar. Quick read, kind of funny, but 'meh' otherwise.
Meredith
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Nothing special or particularly funny. And taking on the Very Hungry Caterpillar? Blasphemy!
Kandice
Aug 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: humour
If your child enjoys Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Catepillar then YOU will enjoy this book.
Mender
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Probably not that great if you didn't love the original. But I do, and this one has enough smarts to not just be a rip off of the original but to add to it too.
Mortis Boys
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Not really three year old appropriate but my child is strange.
Zatika
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-bcbkk
What a creative parody of that lovable Eric Carle masterpiece. Brilliant!

(Read at Kino Takashimaya, Singapore)
Sara
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Good parody ofThe Very Hungry Caterpillar but very creepy and grotesque and defintely not for children!
jacky
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: board-books
Cute concept, but it would have been more fun for me if It had followed the original more closely.

• One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Little Weirds
  • The Holdout
  • More Bedtime Stories for Cynics (Bedtime Stories for Cynics, #2)
  • A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood: The Poetry of Mister Rogers
  • Bonaparte Falls Apart
  • Go the F**k to Sleep
  • Moon's First Friends: How the Moon Met the Astronauts from Apollo 11
  • ಸಾರ್ಥ [Sartha]
  • The Worst Love Book in the Whole Entire World (Entire World Books 4)
  • Ten
  • Bird Hugs
  • Karen's Witch (Baby-Sitters Little Sister Graphic Novel #1)
  • Diana: Princess of the Amazons
Michael Teitelbaum is the author of several books for children. He lives in an 18th century home with his family in New York.

News & Interviews