Start by marking “The Snows of Kilimanjaro and the Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber” as Want to Read:
The Snows of Kilimanjaro and the Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber

The Snows of Kilimanjaro and the Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  293 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Reflects Hemingway's obsession with big -- game hunting and offers a powerful portrait of how men confront their fear of death -- and the emptiness of their lives.
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published November 1st 2000 by Books on Tape (first published 1961)

Be the first to ask a question about The Snows of Kilimanjaro and the Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber

Missy J
In 1933, Ernest Hemingway and his second wife Pauline went on a 10 week safari trip in Eastern Africa. Both "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" and "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber" were inspired by this trip.

"The Snows of Kilimanjaro": 2.5*
This short story is about a dying man. Harry and his wife Helen are on a hunting/safari trip near Mount Kilimanjaro. Harry suffers from gangrene subsequent to an injury. The car is broken and they are waiting for a plane to airlift Harry to the hospital. Whi
Freesiab (Bookish Review)
I enjoyed The Short Happy Life... better than The Snows Of Kilimanjaro. They were interestingly similar and opposing. Hemingway does an excellent job of describing the natural world but I thought human emotions were captured a bit better in Happy Life. It was so complex and had a genius ending. It was a 5 star story. Kilimanjaro was still well written but didn't capture my imagination as much. I disliked the protagonist. But still 4 stars.
Asma
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two of Ernest Hemingway's short stories with the setting of Africa. The other work not here is his book The Green Hills of Africa. The stories both occur on safaris. The Short, Happy Life of Francis Macomber involves the hunting of wild animals in the narrative. Animal rights activists would condemn the way the characters go about that activity. Besides the animal victims, there are the three human characters: the hunter and guide Wilson and his customers the lamentable couple Francis and Margot ...more
Lori
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
I read "The Short happy Life of Francis Macomber). I think I liked this one because of how it got me thinking. Hemingway was so exact with his use of symbols and images - (spoiler alert) and really does anyone know if Margaret really meant to do it?

As a reader we are never privileged to know the thoughts of Mrs. Macomber. We know what she says and we know the thoughts of Wilson, who in the end leads the reader to believe that she shot her husband on purpose. Wilson said, “That was a pretty thin
Amalie
Oct 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hemingway fans and to anyone with a taste for a good prose
'The Snows of Kilimanjaro' is probably the best from Hemingway’s short stories. Just like ‘The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber’ this story also deals with the death of a man on safari

The Snows of Kilimanjaro is set in the snow-covered Mount Kilimanjaro, in Africa. The story is a combination of fact and fiction since the main character is based on Hemingway, himself.

Harry, the protagonist, is a writer. While facing his imminent death on an African safari, his thoughts go back to his life ex
Khalid Al Khalili
Hemingway strikes again with these two short stories in which he portrays the feelings of regret and contempt of a writer dying of gangrene. The recollections of lost chances and opportunities is concise, keeping in line with Hemingway's style of writing, but capable of touching you as if they were our own failures.

The second story is about Francis Macomber, a wealthy coward on Safari with his wife, and not-so-trusty guide. Attempting to face his fears, we are granted several glimpses into his m
Barbara M
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hemingway is a gifted writer and he showcases his talent in these two well written short stories.

"The Snows of Kilimanjaro" is a moving story told in flashbacks. A husband and wife are traveling in Africa when he is injured. The husband is near death and reviewing his life. Secrets from his past and his true feelings about his wife are revealed. The most moving part of the story was Hemingway's language and use of imagery in the description of death moving in and out as the husband nears the end
David
Over the past year and a half, I've started writing fairly seriously. It's been mostly short stories, and I think because of this, I've grown much more fond of short stories. In many cases, I tend to prefer them to novels. It's a lot more compact, and you can really get the punch of a story better if you've read it in one sitting. With a novel, it always takes me long enough that I forget things by the time a given story thread is closed up.

These were both really well-done (who knew Hemingway c
Ali
Aug 06, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As much as Twain is American, Hemingway is un-American. He is the most famous narrator of "losers but proud". He came to the world of literature with Nick Adams, lived as Nick lived, and died as Nick would die! Laconic but efficient, compendious but moving. Wishing for peace he lived in war and came to the coast with the fish skeleton left in his hand, as Santiago did (Old Man and the Sea(
یکی از داستان های خوش ساخت همینگوی است که در فارسی یک بار توسط شجاع الدین شفا (1336)، یک بار توسط جواد شمس (
Ellee
Woah, misogynisitic much, Mr. Hemingway? I won't even say "he never met the right woman" because I think with that frame of mind, he wouldn't have known her if she'd stopped a bullet for him. On the other hand, it seems as though he's unsatisfied with "manly" stuff too (mostly killing different things). Now that I think about it, he seems dissatisfied with gender roles in general and stifled by the expectations attached to gender.
Mandy France
May 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
I would give the short story "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" 3 stars--I found the main character's journey to death an interesting one--even though he was an ass.

I hated the "Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber". Maybe it is because I am vegan and don't appreciate reading about animals being killed for sport. I was hoping there was some hidden element to this character but there wasn't.
Sarthak Parajulee
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great Hemingway classic. Poured his heart out, he did. Loved the way he portrayed the the frustrating blabbering of a dying man, and, a writer's fear of not being able to write about all those things that he'd always mused.
Chris Gager
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another prep school read. "Macomber" was actually read to us by our teacher Al Wise. I'm not sure why. But I did read "Snows" somewhere along the line. Haven't read much Hemingway. Date read is a guess.
Lauren
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I wish half-stars were possible. It'd give it 4.5/5.

I love Hemingway's narrative voice. It's so raw and drawing. If that makes sense. There was only one part that dragged a bit for me: hence the less-than-five.

Read it. It's good. :)
Debra
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I reread this short story...it is very memorable. Once you read it, you will remember it, besides I love with a setting in AFRICA!
Debra
Sep 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, audio
I keep trying to read Hemingway and I just can't love it. Everything is beautifully written, but so-o-o-o depressing. There are no appreciable highs and lows, just a steady drone of hopelessness.
Ninamarie
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first exposure to the short stories of Hemingway. Very impressed.
Alexey Makarov
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Интересные рассказы.
Заставляющие задуматься о некоторых аспектах своей жизни.
Preeti
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes it's difficult to get over sexism and gender stereotypes even in such brilliant works as these.
Kathy
Aug 26, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Well, maybe 1.5 stars. Other reviews don't have much to say about these stories about failure. No wonder I haven't read Hemingway since high school.
Jessica
  • Der Struwwelpeter
  • Sailing to Byzantium
  • Electrico W
  • Pigs Is Pigs
Ernest Miller Hemingway was an American author and journalist. His economical and understated style had a strong influence on 20th-century fiction, while his life of adventure and his public image influenced later generations. Hemingway produced most of his work between the mid-1920s and the mid-1950s, and won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954. He published seven novels, six short story collec ...more
More about Ernest Hemingway...