Start by marking “King of the Dollhouse” as Want to Read:
King of the Dollhouse

King of the Dollhouse

A miniature royal family moves into the dollhouse of Ellie, an only child, and keeps her company the summer her mother is writing a story for children.
Published June 1st 1976 by Scholastic (first published 1974)

Start your review of King of the Dollhouse
Quynh Tu Tran
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So sweet.
Swankivy
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had a dollhouse as a kid and loved the idea of an actual tiny family moving in. In this story, Ellie actually had it happen. Suddenly a king and his huge brood of tiny babies were living in the house, and she has to figure out how to provide for him. Using her imagination and ingenuity to make sure the king and his kids have food to eat and facilities to use, she marvels at their small size and enjoys her time with them when she has to amuse herself. (Her mother's busy writing a book, and she ...more
Julie Decker
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
One day Ellie's dollhouse is suddenly occupied by a tiny king and his dozens of even tinier babies! Ellie has to put up with the king's attitude, use her creativity to provide for his family and give them appropriate facilities to use, and handle crises as they come.

As a kid it bothered me that this king and his miniature absent queen apparently had a hundred children that are all the same age. I hope mini-people don't use the same birthing process that big people do! There were also a lot of
Daria
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This was one of my favorite books as a kid & still holds a special place in my heart. When Ellie hears a little voice say, "Drat!" she discovers tiny little King Bora Bora and his babies living in her dollhouse. She has to try to sneak them food and keep them entertained without her parents finding out.
Sharyn L.
I enjoy reading this book to my class. It has non-traditional gender roles. The king (father) is the primary caretaker of the Peanut Butter Babies, while the queen (Mother) is having adventures. At first the boys in my class don't want to hear a book that involves a dollhouse, but they quickly get over their inhibitions and enjoy the story.
Carrie
Apr 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
One of more than 100 children's novels from the 1970s left in the attic of my house. I'm slowly going through them to decide which to keep for my daughter. This one is sweet and charming, with the oddly acceptable strangeness of an ages-old fairy tale.
Deborah Kinisky
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was a young girl and it impacted me so much that I wrote about it in my book "HerStory - Victim to Victorious available here

geneva oconnor
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and have since I was a young child.
Emilydodge
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
read with my kids - it was fun. I've been reading books from my childhood to them which we all enjoy
Kenna
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
There's just something very magical about this book (:
Very fond memories.
Deena
Jan 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
I adored this book. I wish I knew where my copy is.
Nicole Modie
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book as a kid!
Shanon
Sep 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I read this book over and over and over. A favorite from my childhood.
Yasmin
Mar 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I'm pretty sure Ellie gives the King a toothpaste cap to use as a cup. I remember thinking this was a great idea.
CLM
Aug 20, 2009 marked it as to-read
Oddly, I don't remember reading this.
Maddie
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book.
Lucy
Dec 29, 2012
Jeanne
Sep 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

• Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant?
  • Before We Were Free
  • When You Are Engulfed in Flames
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened
  • The Women's Torah Commentary: New Insights from Women Rabbis on the 54 Weekly Torah Portions
  • Esio Trot
  • Ishmael
  • The Pink Motel
  • Roller Skates
  • Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up
  • George's Marvellous Medicine
  • The Alex Crow
  • The Angels of Morgan Hill (Women of Faith Fiction)
  • Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1)
  • Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness
  • The Bridge Tender (Sunset Beach #4)
  • Unwritten
Patricia Clapp was born in Boston and attended the Columbia University School of Journalism. Her first novel, Constance: A Story of Early Plymouth, was a runner-up for the 1969 National Book Award for Children's Literature. Her other books include, I'm Deborah Sampson, King of the Dollhouse, Dr. Elizabeth, and Jane-Emily. She also authored many plays for children.