Start by marking “My Years As Prime Minister” as Want to Read:
My Years As Prime Minister

My Years As Prime Minister

My Years as Prime Minister is Jean Chrétien’s own story, told with insight and humour, of his ten years at 24 Sussex Drive as Canada’s twentieth prime minister.

By the time he left office, Jean Chrétien had been in politics for forty years – and his experience is evident on every page of his important, engaging memoir. Chrétien loves to tell a good tale – and he does so her
Published October 16th 2007 by Knopf Canada

To ask other readers questions about My Years As Prime Minister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Years As Prime Minister

Gregg Gavin
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating inside look at a long career in politics. I would be a poor politician anytime. A very readable style edited from many interviews with Cretien. He made a huge impact on Canada. I find the picture from the book almost folksy and certainly friendly - a far more likely welcome diner guest than most. Compared to Mulroney's bio of privilege, Cretien persuaded me to like him more than I expected to.
Doreen Petersen
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canada
I really enjoyed reading this one. I find Canada fascinating.
Cedric Jean-marie
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fair warning up front, a lot of decisions that Chretien made were in line with what I believed to be fair and just for the greater good. Therefore if you are more on the right when it comes to politics you might find it frustrating to relive some of the decisions that he made during his tenure.

With that out of the way I felt this was an excellent memoir that gives you an earnest view into one of the most interesting jobs to be had in our country. Chretien walks a fine line between promoting him
Noah Doucette
At first I was kinda turned off by what felt like a boastful tone in the book. After a few chapters though I was won over by Chretien's charm. Jean speaks with warmth and I found that I was rooting for Jean most of the time.

I learned a lot about Canadian and world politics of the 90s and early 00's. I loved hearing about the relationship between Chretien and Clinton.

Although I admit that I don't know that much about the Martin/Chretien feud I can't help but feel that this memoir didn't really
Angela
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
I liked this behind the scenes look at Canadian politics especially since this was during a time when I was just getting into politics.

It provides good detailed information and shows Jean's sense of humour.

However.... I just couldn't get the nagging feeling out of my head as I read it that this was not Jean's voice. Not the voice of the Jean that I grew to know from the media (i.e. golfballs) Whenever he was explaining a decision that was controversial, he would always go back to how he was doin
Shane Mackenzie
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you think you dislike Jean Chretien, you don't. Read this book. He is charming, witty, funny, honest and brilliant. The measures he took during his years as Prime Ministerial were compassionate, necessary and effective. Overall, I have great respect for the man and he aptly deals with his critics. I enjoyed the fact that he did not take stabs at those who would consider him an enemy and gave anecdotes that truly let you delve into the man's innermost self. Fantastic read and a great autobiogr ...more
Adam  McPhee
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canlit, memoir, politics
I should know better, but I have a soft spot for the Shawinigan Strangler. Certainly I would've taken a few more years from him if it meant a few less from Harper. Not much about governance in this, but some funny anecdotes about from his years as prime minister. The ones I recall best: Putin giving a tour of the Kremlin to Chretien's grandson, Chretien spooking the Secret Service when he convinced Clinton to take off at a G8 meeting, that thing with the Newfoundland premier showing down the Spa ...more
Laurie
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading this book or even how I felt about Jean Chrétien but I was pleasantly surprised. His humour and sense of fair play are evident in his writing, as is his love of his country.
I am glad I read this book. I now understand more about the politics of this period in our history and that decision making is not just black and white...there are many shades of grey.
An easy, enjoyable read.
Tiarabeth
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It is no secret to anyone that I am a liberal and that I loved the Chretien administration. Jean Chretien is to this day my favorite Canadian Leader. He lead this country with dignity and grace. He loved this county and it showed.

He wrote this book not as a look at what I did for this country but as a taste of what his past was like and his first few years in office. I think all Canadians should read this book so they can get a view at one of our greatest Prime Ministers.
Tina
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobiography
This is a fantastic read. What I really enjoyed about the book was Chrétien's sense of humour. It's rare for books to make me laugh out loud, but this one did numerous times. I've been practicing my "Shawinigan handshake" technique for days! It was a fantastically interesting decade of Canadian politics and this book is a great overview, told by a master storyteller who makes you feel proud to be a Canadian.

Corinne
Mar 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Liberals, political science junkies
Recommended to Corinne by: CBC radio
Shelves: back-burner
I stood in line and got the book signed by the Prime Minister and it was well worth the wait. He was the man who made me want to go into the news business and watch c-pac like it was wrestling. If you love politics and want to know how Canadian cabinet ministers are assigned and what you have to do to balance a budget, Nationally of course this is a great book. Also he's a pretty funny guy in real life.
Soumya
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Would add an extra half if I could. I couldn't appreciate it as much perhaps because I don't know as much about the Canadian policies or politics. All my Canadian friends rave abt it though...
Derrick White
Jul 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Enjoyable, especially if you like the man, as I do.
Andrew Ogilvie
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Book was good. This was probably my first time reading the biography of a Canadian Prime Minister.

It kept my interest.
Peter
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work-read
Excellent book. It's always good to read the memoir of a leader, because you learn the back-stories.
Jonathan
Mar 05, 2011 rated it liked it
As engaging, confident, and casual as the man himself. No surprises. Little new insight.
Rahim
Nov 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
It reminded me of why I like Chretien! Whether you like him or not, he was incredibly bright and witty!
Megan
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Vive le Canada!

It's no secret that Jean Chretien is probably my favourite Prime Minister. This book solidified my opinion.

Alexander-isb

• Just Watch Me: The Life of Pierre Elliott Trudeau: 1968-2000
  • Memoirs
  • Canadian Pie
  • Tales of the Gypsy Dressmaker
  • So, You Want to Be Canadian: All About the Most Fascinating People in the World and the Magical Place They Call Home
  • Rebel Hearts: Journeys Within the IRA's Soul
  • Our Man in Tehran: The True Story Behind the Secret Mission to Save Six Americans during the Iran Hostage Crisis and the Foreign Ambassador Who Worked with the CIA to Bring Them Home
  • Fire and Ashes: Success and Failure in Politics
  • Counsel to the President: A Memoir
  • The Invasion of Canada: 1812-1813
  • From Naked Ape to Superspecies: Humanity and the Global Eco-Crisis
  • Don Cherry's Hockey Stories and Stuff
  • Young Mandela: The Revolutionary Years
  • The Prophet: The Life of Leon Trotsky
  • The Savvy Auntie: The Ultimate Guide for Cool Aunts, Great-Aunts, Godmothers, and All Women Who Love Kids
Joseph Jacques Jean Chrétien, C.C., c.p., O.M., C.R., premier ministre du Canada de 1993 à 2003, avocat, auteur et homme politique, est né le 11 janvier 1934 à Shawinigan, au Québec. Avocat et membre du Parlement, Jean Chrétien a été le 20e premier ministre du Canada. Dans les débuts de sa carrière politique, il prend part aux négociations sur le rapatriement de la Constitution canadienne de même ...more