Start by marking “Biology” as Want to Read:
Biology

Biology

The Sixth Edition of BIOLOGY by Neil Campbell and Jane Reece builds upon the earlier versions' dual goals to both help readers develop a conceptual appreciation of life within the context of integrating themes, and to inspire readers to develop more positive and realistic impressions of science as a human activity. <P>The authors have thoroughly updated each of the b ...more
Hardcover, Sixth Edition, 1247 pages
Published December 11th 2001 by Benjamin Cummings (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Biology, please sign up.
Pubudu The nervous system is the part of an animal's body that coordinates its voluntary and involuntary actions and transmits signals to and from different …moreThe nervous system is the part of an animal's body that coordinates its voluntary and involuntary actions and transmits signals to and from different parts of its body. In vertebrate species it consists of two main parts, the central nervous system (CNS) and the peripheral nervous system (PNS). The CNS contains the brain and spinal cord. The PNS consists mainly of nerves, which are enclosed bundles of the long fibers or axons, that connect the CNS to every other part of the body(less)
Sanders Kaufman I'm using it as a study guide for taking the Bioloy I & II CLEP test.…moreI'm using it as a study guide for taking the Bioloy I & II CLEP test.(less)

Start your review of Biology
Andrew Hunt
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, not just students
Recommended to Andrew by: AP Biology
This is the book that got me to the semifinals of the USA Biology Olympiad. That I did not progress further is user error; the authors of this superb text certainly held up their part of the bargain.

As a textbook, it gets 5 stars. This isn't just a biology textbook, it's the biology textbook - I can see how it has achieved its reputation. It can double as exercise equipment, is part encyclopedia, and is over 1300 pages, but it still manages to feel concise and approachable. The authors/editors w
Sara Dahabović
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best biology textbooks, reading through it is very easy and the language is pretty simple, I studied this in my first year of university and now years later I'm going back to it for some basics.
I highly recommend it.
Christopher Howard
Lacking mobility, plants must be adapted to their environment in other ways. -p. 738
Arimo
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ei-fiktio
"Biology is the scientific expression of our desire to know nature. We are most likely to protect what we appreciate, and we are most likely to appreciate what we understand."

It took me more than a year of (almost) daily reading to finish Campbell Biology. It was time well spent. I might not recommend anyone else to try a similar feat, but reading Campbell Biology from cover to cover definitely increased my understanding and appreciation of nature and science.

Some parts (such as the chemical for
Kaion
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, school
I wasn't going to review Biology by Neil A. Campbell, because well...
1. It's ubiquitous.
2. I studied from the sixth edition in high school for Biology AP and the eighth edition for first-year Biology, and while I read it, there were definitely places I didn't because I didn't have to or didn't want to or I fell asleep or I briefly wanted a social life.
3. Where the hell do I get off thinking I am expert enough to review a first-year textbook about biology?

But then, I remembered:
1. Until those fre
Adam Morva
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Campbell's Biology is an EXTREMELY incredible book.

Even if you know NOTHING about biology, but you are interested in biology the book will make it possible for you to master all the concepts to create a firm basis.

If you are already a student of biology it will help you crystallize what you already know, it will help you give your knowledge a good structure and refresher course.

Everything is explained extremely well. The questions at the end of chapters help you test your mastery of the topics.
Dirk Broenink
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It reads almost as easily as a novel. It's a page turner. It leaves you feeling blown away by all the details that we as mankind have learned about nature. The order of how the concepts and facts are introduced are part of what makes this book great. You read about how we have come to understood it and you get a glimpse of what is yet to be discovered. It makes you appreciate and get a feel for the complexity of life. It is written in such a way that anyone with a good proficiency in English can ...more
Zehra
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book for National Biology Olympics. My instructor always reminded me this is a key book but I just thought this book doesn't cover the subjects that Olympics require many more details. However I followed her advice or maybe I just enjoyed the book. This book provides you critical thinking skills about global health issues such as the problem of flu pandemics, Thalidomide drugs, legal issues, social affects etc. and solution-oriented approach on these issues. The drugs based on artific ...more
Liam Olive
100 hours and 5 years off my life due to sleep deprivation I'll never get back
Chris Gordon
I'm not one to review textbooks used for school on Goodreads, but this one is good enough for me to make an exception.

Though I didn't read the entire textbook, I did have to read about 75% of it for my college courses in General Biology I & II. I thoroughly enjoyed using this textbook for my Biology classes as well as for personal study and reference. Each section is clear, concise, and, above all else, interesting; I was never bored while sifting through its hundreds of pages. I learned a lot
Alex Miao
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The definitive study material for all high school biology competitions. The textbook is written in a slightly informal tone that keeps the book readable. Diagrams are strategically dispersed throughout the chapters to supplement and clarify text.

Having read both the 7th and 9th editions, I found that the 9th edition was well edited to contain more up-to-date information but there was some crucial information left out that was in the 7th edition. In particular the 9th edition omits a chart of th
Douglas Oswald
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is by far the best bio textbook I've read and presents clear and detailed information on the broad scope and history of biology to students in a remarkably approachable fashion. Highly recommended for a student of biology, biology classroom, or even for reference or purely interest oriented reading.
Yanick Punter
Had to buy this for a study. I think it is boring.
Daniel
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, so I haven't read the entire 1350+ pages. I've ONLY read the ~400 related to the course I'm teaching (the first three units), but this is a very well -written text, they explain rather complex biological processes in a simple and logical progression and manner. Out of the opening 22 chapters my only issue is that they don't consider prokaryotes to have a cytoskeleton. But, on the plus side they treat prokaryotes very well in other sections, such as transcription/translation, making accurate ...more
Stephanie Leon
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book my first year of college, paid over $200 for it, but it's the only textbook I wouldn't consider selling. It's definitely worth every penny. Now as a senior in collegeI use it every now and then as a refresher or to double check anything I'm having second-thoughts on. It's a great book, very useful illustrations, and extremely clear. Dr. Campbell Received his PhD in plant biology at UCR, which is where I'm getting my bachelor's in entomology, and it's nice to see his pictures a ...more
Nadira
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love this book. Not just because I had to memorize all the pages for my Biology exams in my freshman year of college, but the pictures are beautiful too so I really enjoyed studying it. And because of this book, Biology becomes my favorite subject of all time. Oh, wait, that's why I'm taking biology as my major haha
Rex
Sep 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: textbooks
Perhaps the most well-written texbook ever.
Kathryn
Excellence.

The most complete and accurate chemistry book I've ever stumbled upon!
Izzati Masri
was the most interesting book i have read ever...
thax SO much ,hannah =p
Afiq Asyran
Nov 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Bible for those taking the life science as diplome, bachelor degree. I would say this book really build your foundation in life science.
Jessica
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, for-recs
This book never fails to inform in a thorough and understandable manner. It's not only incredibly useful and fascinating, but a surprisingly readable text.
Theresa
Goodbye, Campbell Biology, I will always remember you (because you will always be in my bookcase I guess).
William Ni
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have ever read. Couldn't sleep until I finish all the chapters
Yasaman A
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
amazing book I read as a high school student. it is actually the reason I got inreresred in biology and that passion is still existing
Niloo
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never enjoyed reading a book this much! Every student who loves biology needs this book.
Niloo
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Campbell biology is the bible of biology.
If you are someone who wants to go from zero to hero in biology or someone who frequently asks questions and wants the comprehensive and simply explained answers or if you want to get someone who hates biology interested in it, look no further. This book has it all.
With its extremely simple, yet meticulous explanations, it equips you with an in-depth understanding of the subject.

The paragraphs and sentences flow in an understandable and very logical ma
Jessie
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I make a point of not adding my textbooks to goodreads but I will make an exception for this one, because this is the one book that would appear anywhere I go. I've read this book in three languages already, and have seen it in a fourth. It's like a corporeal ghost that I can't shake off. If there's a higher power up there controlling who does what in the sciences, I'm sure they're laughing their ass off and probably plotting the way to make sure this book follows me to my grave.
Jokes aside, it
Olga Shibiko
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if you are studying biology it makes for a great companion listen. I really like the structure. It is well developed with lots of interesting content and anecdotal historical information on biological discoveries. I do not enjoy the weird music before each chapter or the clapping, but narrator is great. I am marking it as finished because it has become my background book and i have probably listened to it 10 times. I wish it had an equivalent for the body systems - cardio, respiratory etc in gre ...more
Adarcipowski
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to this book, the living world is once again an understandable place in which I don't have to attribute the existence of creatures and plants (not to mention myself) to a divine designer. Misunderstanding the process of evolution left me dissociated among my peers, unable to contribute to intellectually-based conversations. Now I am re-grounded, slightly more rational, and am more confident in my daily choices as I move through this world.
ece
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AU me is studying biology/molecular biology and genetics because of this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Brock Biology of Microorganisms
  • Molecular Cell Biology
  • Evolution
  • Organic Chemistry
  • Komisch, alles chemisch!
  • Atlas of Human Anatomy